“Poor sanitation” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Newport News VA
“Poor sanitation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The television did not work in the first room we were given. The clerk put us in the room next door. The sheets on one bed was made up but there was a dorito chip in the bed and the sheets had not been changed. Bed was made up including a blanket but we didn't notice that there was an additonal blanket on the other bed. Bathroom had not been cleaned, 1/2 bottle of shampoo, open soap bar in the shower and other indications the room had not been cleaned at all. We assume one person slept in the one bed and the other bed was untouched and maid service was not done. The first room we were given was 322 and the second room was 324 for the night of February 15, 2013. Total cost was $95.92. Folio number is 213490

Room Tip: We had stayed at this motel before and had not problems other than my wife does not like to sleep fa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Angela H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear JamesM,

Thank you for your candid review of our property. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with us. It is definitely not typical of the service we provide our guest. I would like to speak with you personally regarding the matter. I can be reached at 703-647-6860.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I use these reviews all the time and never write them, so here goes!

My fiancé and I booked a room here for 3 nights to visit DC. We booked through hotels.com and didn't have any problem (which was great because we tried orbitz before that...terrible!). Anyways, we booked this one because it was a decent distance from DC, had free parking and a free continental breakfast. I booked a queen size room for the three nights.

We arrive at exactly check out time on a Friday, and were helped quickly. However once we made it to our room, I saw that it was 2 double beds instead of a queen (anti-romance). I went back to the front desk (had to wait for an older couple for about 5 minutes) and explained my issues to the front desk. They looked up my reservation and saw that it was for a queen. They stated that they had no queens, but would 'upgrade' me to the executive floors to a king, for free. The only upgrade features I saw was that it was a king, not queen, and had a fridge/microwave combo. Which actually came in handy.

Pros:
Really nice staff when I interacted with them, 'upgraded' my room with no hassle (fixed the problem), continently breakfast was decent (what is to be expected of hotels...normal warm food, waffles, pastries, bagels with cream cheese, juice machines, etc), comfy beds with the sheet/blanket/sheet combo which is sanitary and appreciated, good room temps, always quiet at night, right off the highway and located near a dunkin donuts and other yummy places and stores (NOT within walking distance), clean rooms

Cons:
Messed up the order to begin with, only 1 front desk person so they were busy a lot, shady people coming in and visiting the workers (although they NEVER bothered us!), took a 50 dollar deposit on my debit card WITHOUT informing me, heater in room was LOUD if you were a light sleeper it would probably bother you, have to walk outside from rooms to get to front desk and buffet

All in all, it's a hotel. It was $70 bucks a night with free parking. Really easy to get to the highway and DC/Arlington area. Quiet despite some shady people. You get what you pay for, and this was exactly what I would expect. Not awesome, but not bad either. Just good. Maybe even slightly better than good. Definitely worth $70 a night.

Room Tip: I have heard that the 'executive' 5th and 6th floors are better. They are suppose to be excl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JessicaL,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate you review in both the complimentary and where improvements are needed. We have reviewed the comments and are working with the staff and management to make sure that we are making improvements in the areas you have pointed out. We hope that you will come back to see us again soon.

Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Very good value as usual. I stay here for business several times a month and i am always satisified. The desk person is very accomodating. Room is clean and a great value. I typically stay on the 6th floor. Breakfast is great in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear BarryA,

Thank you so much for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed another stay with us and look forward to having you back again soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

When traveling I like getting my money's worth. And the quality and the quantity of the bathroom products and other amenities they supply, really makes a difference to me. I LOVE the fact that each room has the normal bath products, shampoo/conditioner and a bar of bath soap. But Best Western includes mouthwash and a body lotion and a facial cleaning bar. To me, that's more bang for the buck. They supply coffee and teabags... and not the generic kind.... Maxwell House Brand.

The beds are the most comfortable I think I've ever slept in as they have this cushion top mattress and adding the four fluffy pillows just makes for a wonderful night's experience. I like having the gym and the continental breakfast if I choose. To be honest, the only thing I can think of that they could include would be a laundry facility for those of us who require extended stays. But for the money, Best Western is totally the way to go,

Room Tip: One nearest the elevators if you have several days of clothes to bring. And definitely the higher f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear FrankieH,

I wanted to write and thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate the comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you back again on your next visit to the area.

Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here overnight on December 14, 2012.

Very average hotel in terms of cleanliness and amenities. I would have expected a bit more from a hotel in a metropolitan area. The room was adequately clean but was in need of renovation/upgrading. I chose this hotel as we were on teh way to Florida and wanted a day in D.C., and it was only a mile from the Metro station.

The lady who checked us in was friendly and helpful, considering we arrived at 1:00 am! I wish I could say the same for the man working the desk the next morning. There was a sign in the bathroom saying that if we'd forgotten basic toiletry items, that the front desk would be happy to provide some. Well, I had stupidly left my hairbrush in my bathroom back in the UK, so needed a comb desperately. The man looked at me as if I'd had five heads when I asked him for one. He said that they didn't provide such items. I kindly informed him that the sign in the bathroom said the contrary. He couldn't have been less helpful!

The breakfast was typical for hotels in the U.S. - at least we could make a strong cup of coffee! I paid $72 with the tax. Would have expected slightly more for that price, as I often pay less elsewhere for a nicer stay!

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor facing the Interstate (west). No noise eminating from the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear jsdixie,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am sorry that your experience with our customer service was underwhelming. Please know that the customer service experience is very important to us and we have taken your comments back to the staff to make improvements for you and all our future guest. If you are back in the area, I hope we can have you back.

Angela H.
Cincinnati, OH, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about a half-dozen times over the past year. I have stayed there two more times since my last review (November 2012 and January 2013). I keep coming back, so that has to tell you something. My last two stays have been uneventful, which is exactly the way I like a hotel stay to be. Since you can read my other two reviews of this property for more details, I will simply summarize what I like and dislike about the property.

What I like:
1) The executive levels (floors 5 & 6) are quiet and well worth the extra $10 or so per night. I strongly recommend staying on those floors. The side of the hotel facing away from I-95 is much more peaceful.
2) The hotel is a good value for the price. The rooms are not huge, but they are clean and the bed is comfortable.
3) They sandwich the blanket between two sheets and use protective mattress covers. I appreciate both of those.
4) The breakfast is very good for the DC area. The selection doesn't change, but that's OK with me.

What could be better:

1) There have been a few annoying maintenance issues (alarm clock broken, door lock not working, mangled lamp shades, etc.) that detract from the overall experience. A little more attention to the property would make it better.
2) The cable TV lineup is a little weak compared to other properties.

Bottom line: Like other hotels in the area, this is an older building. If you want a sparkling new building, look elsewhere and be prepared to pay more. If you need a comfortable bed and a good breakfast at a reasonable price, get a room on the executive level and use the extra $50-60 you save each day to visit Mike's American Grill or another local restaurant.

Room Tip: Get an executive level room away from I-95 if possible (even numbered rooms on fifth or sixth floors...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear OH_Tom,
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay. We are pleased that you continue to return to our property. We value both the positive comments and the items that we can improve on. They help us make the future stays for you and all our guest a better experience. I hope we see you back again soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stay somewhere else if you can. Appears the owner of this franchise location is cutting costs: The shuttle is running half-time now (8am-12pm, 5pm-9pm), the breakfast is old and stale everyday, the maintenance man is unqualified (and roams the hall nights talking on his cell), the pipes rattle, and the furniture is old and outdated, including the mattresses. On the plus side, a few of the front desk employees were kind and the room is equipped with small microwave and noisy fridge, but all this could hardly compensate for the hotel's many flaws.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, get a top floor room. Better yet, go somewhere else, like the Holiday Inn may...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear AlotLessTraveled,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am dismayed that you found your stay so unsatisfactory. Your comments are valued and help us make improvements for your next stay. We have our shuttle available from 7am to 10pm daily and have made improvements to the breakfast. We would definitely ask for you to come back again and see the improvements we have made. You can contact me directly at 703-647-6860 to make arrangements. Thank you again for your time.

Sales Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Springfield? Share your experiences!