“Ok, but better options nearby” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Philadelphia, PA
“Ok, but better options nearby”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was the most reasonably priced for my travel dates, of those in the area. It looks dated; the room was fairly clean, but there were stains, etc. from use. It's not awful, but for just a few dollars more per night at other nearby hotels, the quality jumps considerably,

• Stayed December 2011
Angela H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Tallulah13,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your candid review. Please know that we are continuously working to make our property a better stay for all our guest. I hope we will see you back again.

Angela H.
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in October 2011. We're from the UK and we wanted an inexpensive base for exploring Washington DC. Our stay threw up a mixture of good and bad points. First, the good: this hotel is extremely good value in comparison with other hotels around the DC area. It's a short shuttle-bus ride from the Metro station and the reception staff are good at organising drop-offs and pick-ups from the station. It's particularly well located for the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery. We also found our room to be large, clean, quiet and comfortable.
Now for the not-quite-so-good: I was disappointed to find that not only was the breakfast buffet *entirely* self-service, but that the crockery was polystyrene and the cutlery plastic. Perhaps this was more misplaced expectation on my part (we were lucky to get breakfast at all for the price we paid) but this was a new experience in a hotel for me. I also wasn't so keen on the taste of the sterilised milk. My second negative point is to do with a specific customer service incident. On our first morning, we were disturbed at 6am by an automated telephone alarm call. I called reception to explain that we hadn't ordered an alarm call and suggested that perhaps another room had requested it instead. The staff on duty didn't seem at all interested in this information. On the second morning when it happened again at 6am, my husband phoned reception to tell them to stop the automated alarm calls. The person on duty confirmed that we wouldn't get another wake-up call but unhelpfully suggested that we could "always just ignore it". The same thing happened on the third morning. This time we didn't call reception but we did mention it to the manager as we were checking out later on that morning. To her credit, the manager seemed to take the complaint seriously and appeared to be actively looking into the problem as we left.
I don't believe that the inappropriate wake-up calls are a common occurrence at the Best Western Springfield, but it does perhaps illustrate some issues with customer service that could be addressed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear AnotherSarah,
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We appreciate any feedback that will allow us to make improvements to our property and service for our guest. I am so very sorry about the lack of customer service you received. That is not typical of our staff and we have taken your comments back to the staff to improve our service. If you make it back here to the DC area, we would love to have you back.

Cincinnati, OH, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel four more times since my initial review earlier this year, including a two day business trip and a four day personal vacation stay with the family this summer. While I still like this hotel, my opinion of it has slipped a little each time I have stayed here. I must have gotten an unusual room the first time I stayed, because each room since then has had issues.

First, the good:

The rooms are always clean, the beds are always comfortable, and the breakfast is good, even if it is always the same. The hotel uses protective mattress covers and I appreciate the way the blanket is sandwiched between two sheets. The sink is located outside the bathroom, which is good for traveling with the family. Be sure to pay a little extra for a room on the executive level--it's worth the small extra cost.

Now, the not-so-good:

You definitely want a room on the side of the building that is opposite the freeway. The rooms facing I-95 can have a lot of traffic noise. On one visit, the door lock did not work (it didn't open at all) and it took multiple trips to the office to resolve the problem, finally resulting in the clerk assigning me a new room. On our vacation, there was moldy caulk in the shower, the bathroom door didn't close properly, and there were two refrigerators and microwaves in the room, reducing the living space. The latest room had a giant patched area on the ceiling, very little water pressure in the sink, a leak from the toilet tank, and a dented lamp shade.

As I mentioned, I still like the hotel but I wish the management would put a little TLC into the facility. I will happily increase my rating if they fix the problems in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear OH_Tom,
Thank you for your comments on your stays here with us. We appreciate the feedback and it definitely allows us to improve our property for your stays. Please contact me directly at 703-647-6860 if there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Angela H.
Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Most of the hotel staff are either obnoxious, rude, unhelpful or a combination of the three.
You definitely get the feeling of being unwelcome.
The beds are not comfortable and the "no soliciting" sign hanging on the main door is not the best welcome you could expect.
The best things about the hotel are its proximity to Mike's American Grill (a great place to eat) and to Washington (15-20) min. by car. The Metro is also quite close but it is a 35-40 min. ride
The hotel is not cheap either unless you take a 3-day deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear jaddess,
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay. I am truly sorry you had such an unpleasant stay with us. We have taken your comments and have addressed the staff and management as to making customer service a top priority. We have made many changes to make all our guest stays more enjoyable. Thank you again.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I booked this from England for the first three nights of a three week tour of the Eastern Seaboard of the USA. The hotel is a little tired and could do with a complete refurbishment; however it does have many plus points: big, clean rooms with excellent AC, a good breakfast, a fitness room and an outside swimming pool with lifeguard. There are also restaurants within 5 - 10 minutes walk of the hotel, which is always a bit of a bonus if you want to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with your meal!

The rates were very competitive and our only real concern was the rather unpleasant smell in the lobby and corridors, clearly caused by some kind of cleaning agent. Other than that, we found our stay here to be very satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear topfellman,
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with family in the last week of July, and used it as a base for my DC vacation. The staff was friendly and helpful. Morning breakfast was good. Elevators were a bit grimy. The windows on the 4th floor can do with a power washing. The room was clean, bug-free, and comfortable. Free wi-fi worked as advertised. The bathroom was clean and stocked properly. I had a rental car and used to drive from here to Union Station in about 25 minutes, leaving the hotel at about 7AM. Parking at the Union Station is $22 for the day - found it convenient because the conducted tours start at this location. I found this location much better, rather than staying in DC for twice the cost and paying for parking, breakfast and wi-fi.

Room Tip: The Union Station has a lot of mall-like restaurants. I found it convenient to eat here after a long...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Angela H, Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear erudite_30,
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your trip to dc. I am pleased we were a pleasant part of that stay. We look forward to seeing back again for your next visit.

Le Roy, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My three sons and I stayed here for a four day Washington DC vacation. The experience was exactly what I was hoping for. It was economical (approx $110 a night). It is a 5 minute drive to the Metro Blue line (35 - 40 minutes to National Mall area from the Metro stop). I chose not to use the shuttle so I can't comment on that. No issues with the state of the room. They were clean and well mainted by housekeeping. The sink for the room is in the room proper as opposed to in the bathroom. I found this odd at first, but came to view it as a plus as one of the kids could be brushing their teeth, etc. while another was in the shower or using the toilet. TV is a DirecTV feed (no PPV options) with Showtime / Movie Channel. They must be splitting this throughout the hotel as the signal quality was suspect (but watchable) on some of the channels. Wireless internet access worked fine. None of the usual hotel hoops to jump through to access as they just have an unsecured wi-fi network.The pool was well maintained. The breakfast was a big plus. This is a complimentary full breakfast (make your own waffles, cereal, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, muffins, bagels, etc.). Food was of good quality every morning and the staff kept everything fully stocked. Fifth and sixth floors require keycard access to reach via elevator (no extra charge). The location struck me as quite safe - it's located amidst highways and strip malls. There is a wide variety of restaraunts, a Giant, and a 24/7 CVS close by. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others looking for an affordable place to stay for a DC sightseeing visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear NoodlesFromLeroy,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We appreciate the review and hope to see you back again soon.

Sales Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Springfield? Share your experiences!