You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Bangkok, Thailand
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The price is right for Northern Virginia - but the apathetic staff's attitude, lackluster welcome, and the hotel's mediocrity make this a place to avoid.
I'll get in to the apathetic staff, but, first I must relay a mid-May occurrence. I was awakened on a late Friday evening/early Saturday morning by an intoxicated guest who was was trying to get into my room. He was fumbling with a key at my door but was too drunk to realize he was at the wrong room. I watched this through the room's peephole and shouted for him to go away. The intoxicated man then gave me the finger and then, to my horror, urinated on the carpet in front of my door! I called the front desk and told them what was happening. I then watched--through the peephole--the intoxicated guest completely empty his bladder in the middle of the hallway. The intoxicated guest then entered, with the help of another guest, the room across from mine. A hotel employee eventually came to my room and I pointed out the large, wet, urine stains on the carpet. I told him what had happened and where the culprit was. I watched the hotel employee warn the non-intoxicated occupant of the room. And that was it. There was no mention of the incident again. The carpet was never cleaned and I never received an apology. I've tried to reach Extended Stay America's Guest relations and have waited for over an hour on the phone. I submitted an account of what occurred on a feedback form and have not received a response. I'm not looking for a free night or money back. I'd just like an apology from the hotel.
On to the staff...I asked on two separate occasions for utensils to be brought to my room...Yes, the rooms come with a kitchen; however, they are not stocked with pots, pans, plates, glasses or utensils. I was assured by two separate employees that utensils would be brought up to the room--they never were.
Making reservations...I called to make a reservation approximately 10 days prior to my trip. Let's just say that the employee making the reservation was probably not on Extended Stay America's A-team. It took days for me to receive an email confirmation, even after calling several times asking for the confirmation as I needed it for accounting / planning purposes.
The room was average, albeit a decent value for expensive Northern Virginia. That said, I recommend you stay somewhere else if you are a single woman or if you have a family.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Poor quality of a hotel, compare to a small town $30 a night motel, but you'll pay over $200 a night here. I was going use a name brand Motel, but this place would do those "cheap" motels an injustice in a comparison. It has the lowest quality bed, linens, and towels, and they won't clean the room daily, apparently because it's "extended stay" even though I booked it for just two days.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, yesterday
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. Please accept our apologies that your stay with us was not to your expectations. Regarding housekeeping, we provide housekeeping services to guests staying eight or more nights; however, these services are always available upon request for an additional fee. I met with the staff, and we will make the necessary changes to ensure that your expedience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at dcs@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Arrived for a business trip, I had a long flight and was tired. I was just ready to relax in my room. Checked in the hotel with Ms. Julia from the front desk. She was AWESOME, she made me feel at ease, let me check out the room before I committed and even after I was in, she ensured I was taken care. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Springfield, Va area because its close to the mall and some nice restaurants.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It's great to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff. Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

For my needs this hotel was fine the location is excellent for metro and highway access, 10/15 min. walk to metro or $6 cab ride. The Staff were very friendly and accommodating the room was good but I think the carpets need to be replaced. Because of the cooking in room facility, there is always a smell in the hallways some times OK sometimes not so OK. There is a Mall just around the corned walking distance with good restaurants movie theater etc. The front desk Madhu was always very helpful with my billing printing receipts as needed for my company purposes. All in all the stay was good, pleasant I stayed from Jan. to May 2015

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 1 week ago
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great comments about our staff and hotel. We appreciate you letting us know about the odor issues you experienced. We will make sure to let our staff know in order to prevent odors from lingering throughout the hallways as well as our rooms. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with accommodating service and a convenient location. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

When we first checked in, the first room they gave us wasn't ready. The bed was not changed and there were still towels all over the place. The second room was ready, but it wasn't very clean. There was hair in the shower from a previous guest. The bathroom smelled like mildew. The bed was so hard that it was not very easy to sleep. I will not stay there again. Also, if you are taking the metro to and from DC, you will have to call a cab. There is no shuttle and the walk to and from the hotel is pretty long.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the room provided was not to your expectations. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will make sure all guest rooms are inspected before guest arrivals to ensure your experience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at dcs@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at this extended stay for two years and the mgr. Victor was great he was all about customer service and working with the customer to keep them a guest and make sure that there stay was enjoyable. I have a handicapped brother who was under going transplant surgery, and had my son and his girlfriend come and stay and help when he became completely debilitated. Then the worst thing happened Victor was transferred and the DM Merrium took over. She immediately raised my stay by$300.00 per month, when I complained that my fixed income would suffer my complaint fell on deaf ears and when she appointed the new mgr Julia it was the same thing! They no longer care about people, just money! I've been through two years of price changes, but never before had the hotel removed from Priceline where I could not book for another 21 days! Now as of today I have to move out and find other accomidations by the 13 th because they are more than double of what I had been paying! I had referred another couple who have been here for over a year and they have to go with us cause they can't afford the price change. I feel that Priceline should not allow them back into there fold, cause Priceline is great and there customers should not be treated this way, we have been great and steady customers for over two years straight and this is the thanks we get for keeping two rooms occupied through empty times as well as full!!! Good riddens Extended Stay Springfield!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't recommend you stay here at all
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I was disheartened to read that we have not provided you with the best customer service. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. If you would like to discuss these changes, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dcs@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I will be relocating to the DC area in a few weeks. We will need to stay in a hotel type situation for several weeks while we wait for the mortgage on the new home to close. After reading some of the other reviews, for this particular location of Extended Stay America, I decided that I needed to do a recon mission and stay there for one night, by myself. My wife and I have stayed at many different, nice hotel chains, at many different locations around the U.S. and world, and I feel comfortable with stating that I think that the service provided by this location's front desk personnel was wonderful.

My check-in process was painless and straight forward. I was greeted with a cheerful smile and "Hello" when I walked in the front door. There was a person in front of me in the line and they were handled quickly. Once I got to the front of the line, I was greeted again and quickly checked in. This was certainly not what I was expecting, based on some of the other feedback provided.

I stayed one night and everything about the room was clean and in order... with the exception of the bathroom fan. It was very obnoxious when I first turned it on. It settled down after about 20 seconds but it was still loud. It should probably be replaced.

Also, the hallway carpet seemed very dark. I was on the third floor and when I looked at the carpet, it did not look dingy or dirty. It's just the pattern and especially the colors are very dark. It is darker than many of the competitors. I'd recommend either changing out the carpet as soon as possible with lighter, more welcoming colors, or put in some bright LED lights in the hallway so that it doesn't feel so cave like and doesn't chew up a lot of electricity.

So the next morning, I grabbed my Brompton folding bicycle and rode over to the Metro station. Although it's not marked with a sign, there's a paved bike/walking path that runs directly behind the property and goes straight over to the station. I was there in probably three minutes. What convenience! Even if I had to walk, it's a great way to avoid the horrendous freeway traffic in the D.C. area. And since the Franconia Springfield Station is at the end of the Blue Line, you tend to get your pick of the litter with regards to seats. I took the train down a few stations to the Braddock Road Station and then rode my bike down to the Potomac River. Very, very nice! After admiring the scenery, I turned around and went back.

Once I got back to the hotel, I cleaned up and packed my stuff and then moved it all into my car. I came back in to check out and was shocked by the kind and attentive service from the front desk staff again. I was asking if it would be okay if I went back up to the room to make some hot water for my travel mug, so that I could have some coffee (I had some Starbucks Via). Instead of giving me the okay, she instead asked if she could get me some hot water, so that I would not have to make the trip up to the room. Next thing I know, a cup of hot water shows up. It didn't fill up my mug so she went and got another cup. So very thoughtful and completely unexpected.

I like it when the staff sweats the little details and this was a very detail oriented moment. She exceeded my expectations and because of that, when my wife and I move up to DC in a few weeks, while we wait for our new mortgage to close, we will definitely stay at this ESA location.

So as I said at the beginning, I am very surprised about some of the negative feedback about the staff. At this point, I suspect that those situations may have had a lot to do with the demeanor of the customer and that the negative feelings they were perceiving were a reflection of the energy they (the customer) projected.

The one thing that I will change, however, is if I get a room with a noisy bathroom fan, I'll let the staff know about it right away. Other than that, I'd feel comfortable recommending this location to family and friends. Especially if they are coming into town to do some sightseeing.

Room Tip: Walking / bicycle path links directly Metro Blue Line Springfield Station.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know about the maintenance issue with the bathroom fan. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with a comfortable stay in a convenient location. I truly appreciate your kind comments about our staff and their great customer service. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield? Share your experiences!