“Wonderful Front Desk Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield

You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6800 Metropolitan Center Dr, Springfield, VA 22150   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Norfolk, Virginia
“Wonderful Front Desk Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I will be relocating to the DC area in a few weeks. We will need to stay in a hotel type situation for several weeks while we wait for the mortgage on the new home to close. After reading some of the other reviews, for this particular location of Extended Stay America, I decided that I needed to do a recon mission and stay there for one night, by myself. My wife and I have stayed at many different, nice hotel chains, at many different locations around the U.S. and world, and I feel comfortable with stating that I think that the service provided by this location's front desk personnel was wonderful.

My check-in process was painless and straight forward. I was greeted with a cheerful smile and "Hello" when I walked in the front door. There was a person in front of me in the line and they were handled quickly. Once I got to the front of the line, I was greeted again and quickly checked in. This was certainly not what I was expecting, based on some of the other feedback provided.

I stayed one night and everything about the room was clean and in order... with the exception of the bathroom fan. It was very obnoxious when I first turned it on. It settled down after about 20 seconds but it was still loud. It should probably be replaced.

Also, the hallway carpet seemed very dark. I was on the third floor and when I looked at the carpet, it did not look dingy or dirty. It's just the pattern and especially the colors are very dark. It is darker than many of the competitors. I'd recommend either changing out the carpet as soon as possible with lighter, more welcoming colors, or put in some bright LED lights in the hallway so that it doesn't feel so cave like and doesn't chew up a lot of electricity.

So the next morning, I grabbed my Brompton folding bicycle and rode over to the Metro station. Although it's not marked with a sign, there's a paved bike/walking path that runs directly behind the property and goes straight over to the station. I was there in probably three minutes. What convenience! Even if I had to walk, it's a great way to avoid the horrendous freeway traffic in the D.C. area. And since the Franconia Springfield Station is at the end of the Blue Line, you tend to get your pick of the litter with regards to seats. I took the train down a few stations to the Braddock Road Station and then rode my bike down to the Potomac River. Very, very nice! After admiring the scenery, I turned around and went back.

Once I got back to the hotel, I cleaned up and packed my stuff and then moved it all into my car. I came back in to check out and was shocked by the kind and attentive service from the front desk staff again. I was asking if it would be okay if I went back up to the room to make some hot water for my travel mug, so that I could have some coffee (I had some Starbucks Via). Instead of giving me the okay, she instead asked if she could get me some hot water, so that I would not have to make the trip up to the room. Next thing I know, a cup of hot water shows up. It didn't fill up my mug so she went and got another cup. So very thoughtful and completely unexpected.

I like it when the staff sweats the little details and this was a very detail oriented moment. She exceeded my expectations and because of that, when my wife and I move up to DC in a few weeks, while we wait for our new mortgage to close, we will definitely stay at this ESA location.

So as I said at the beginning, I am very surprised about some of the negative feedback about the staff. At this point, I suspect that those situations may have had a lot to do with the demeanor of the customer and that the negative feelings they were perceiving were a reflection of the energy they (the customer) projected.

The one thing that I will change, however, is if I get a room with a noisy bathroom fan, I'll let the staff know about it right away. Other than that, I'd feel comfortable recommending this location to family and friends. Especially if they are coming into town to do some sightseeing.

Room Tip: Walking / bicycle path links directly Metro Blue Line Springfield Station.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our stay began with a 15 minute wait to be checked in...no one was at the desk and it required a call to find someone. The NO SMOKING room smelled like an ash tray and had none of the dishes we had expected to see. We had to carry up a plastic container of dishes, pot and pans. We made two separate trips to the front desk for a coffee maker which had dried up coffee in the bottom of the pot, and a toaster that overheated and was arcing. The towels could have been used for sandpaper, and after three days we had to request clean towels at the front desk. I was politely told they were in the dryer and they would bring them to our room soon...we never got clean towels! For more than a day one of the rubber mats at the entrance to the lobby was twisted and overturned making it difficult to even open one of the doors. It had to be visible to the staff, but was never fixed. Finally my husband straightened it out. Unfortunately, we had a non-refundable reservation; otherwise we would have been out of there within a day. I would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness and service issues you experienced is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will make sure our staff provides professional customer service to all of our guests and responds to guest requests in a timely manner. I will also be working with our housekeeping staff on better eliminating smoke odors to ensure your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dcs@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recently booked this hotel through Priceline. The initial assigned room ended up being on the smoking floor. The entire floor and especially the room were disgusting. We called the front desk and were immediately reassigned to a different floor - in a king suite. The room was fresh, bed was comfy and was overall great. The kitchen area was nice and not nearly as dated as other places we stayed. The location is very convenient to metro, mall, restaurants, etc. Recommended

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff and fully equipped kitchens. We appreciate you letting us know that about the initial issues during check-in. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with a room to your liking and an overall positive stay. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have been in this hotel for six months on a job in DC. Julia the manager has been nothing short of amazing at her job and very helpful on my stay here. The whole staff is always friendly with a smile Juliana, Patrick, Madu are all great.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm thrilled that you had a pleasant stay with us and that we provided you with great customer service. Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a reasonably priced extended stay hotel. The rooms are clean and the bed which felt hard was surprisingly comfortable and I slept well on it. There's not a lot of extra amenities in order to keep the price down, but for what you pay, it's well worth it. The manager Julia is always accommodating as is all the staff, very friendly and hospitable. I stayed a two separate times for a month each and I would definitely recommend if you're looking for basic, clean and affordable accomodations. Thank you to all at Extended Stay Springfield!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about your stay. We are glad to know you enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms as well as the excellent customer service our staff provided you. Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

We only stayed here for one night and booked the room on tripadvisor. We booked a queen studio and when we got there, the girl told us there wasn't a queen available so we agreed to go for the king. Then after filling out the paperwork, she told us that the king was not available as well. She then proceeded to check us in to a double, gave us the room key. When we entered our room, it was a complete mess, meaning that housekeeping has not even touched it yet. Blanket was everywhere, dishes were still in the sink. She then gave us a new room after we informed her. Our new room included dirty towels and dirty bed sheet . At that point, we just settled with it because it was already 11 pm and we were just too tired to complain. The end.

Stayed March 2015
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am so disappointed that your room was not ready when you arrived as well as our restroom not being stocked properly. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is communicating with the front desk to let them know which rooms are ready for those to check-in as well as keeping a better inventory of our toiletries. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dcs@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2015

The location worked well for me. However, the rooms are stinky, dirty and disgusting. The pillows are old and yellowing. You can actually smell someones odor on the pillows. The room i was given at check did not have a proper functioning door lock. I assumed like many hotels the door would shut closed/locked with out additional help. I was wrong. I had left my room open the whole time thinking it was closed. I had to use the deadbolt at night, even that was done by pushing hard on the door.
The front desk manager did not want to hear anything about the odor in the room, She actually rolled her eyes while i was talking. She also had a smirk on her face. Its seemed she had a chip on her shoulders. She was not at all concerned. She just did not care. Its a SHAME. Anybody worth their salt who is in charge needs to clean house!!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear the room provided did not exceed your expectations. I discussed your comments with the staff, and we are going through all linens and pillows as well as the process of cleaning rooms. I also apologize that you did not experience great customer service. I will be meeting with my staff to go over the importance of providing each guest with excellent service. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dcs@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Springfield? Share your experiences!