“My morning was off to a rough start” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Springfield
Alexandria, Virginia
“My morning was off to a rough start”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My family and I normally stay with the Hilton or Hampton Inn so we decided to try the Marriott. The hotel lobby and dinning area is quite nice with a modern appeal. The check in was smooth and easy. The front desk team member was polite and courteous. He gave us info in the hotel and our breakfast coupons . He told us breakfast ends at 11am.

The room was average at best. There was no fridge/ no microwave as promised so visiting the market to keep things overnight is pointless. The toiletries which are Paul Mitchell , did not smell nice at all in my opinion. The bed felt very flat and firm. A plus to the room is the private balcony. One small downside was there were obvious cigarette burns on the wall from previous guest which was a little tacky to me. We went to the pool area to use the whirlpool where we see a used bandaid floating in the water. Disgusting!!! The lifeguard in duty seemed to be pretty ambivalent about it.

The morning comes as it does eventually and we take the elevator down stairs which has a light bulb blown out btw, and we are greeted by a young lady the front desk attendant , no good morning, no smile just the bad news that breakfast ends at 9:30 and not 11am . We were told we could pick out one continental item instead. So instead of eggs,bacon and toast with coffee, we now have the pick of a banana or muffin for breakfast. I requested to speak with the manager who offered the same option or to have 10 dollars refunded. There was no we apologize for the inconvenience, or anything like that. Heck we couldn't even at least get juice with our sad looking banana. There are MANY hotels in the area we could've chosen any other hotel but we chose yours. For us it's about the level of customer service. They did not go above and beyond to satisfy their customer. Times are hard business need to work hard to retain their customers. We will not stay with the Marriott chain again. The Hampton Inn literally the next traffic light up is much much better.

Room Tip: Stay with the hampton inn or Hilton. And no I don't work for them. We are just well travelled an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I would like to first apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during you stay. Your comments and concerns are very valuable to us and will make sure to address them with our staff members immediately. I thank you for staying with us and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I am a huge fan of Courtyards and this location was excellent. Not far from the inner city and close to the the train so getting to city was easy. Friendly staff and the hotel was nice and clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I am pleased we were able to exceed your expectations and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

Sincerely
cheshire, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Lovely staff, excellent service, nice clean big rooms, overall very pleased with stay, no complaints, we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, location was good, only fault was difficult to turn into off one way system

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the Springfield VA area. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your stay up to your standards. We value your comments and I will make sure to relate them to the proper staff members.

I thank you again for staying with us and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.
Prince George, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have been staying at this property 2 to 3 days a a week for over a year now. I recieve 5 star treatment every time I stay there. The staff is friendly, professional and I consider them to be my 2nd family. The rooms are always clean and fresh. The lounge has great food and very cold beer.
It is conveniently located near the interstate. It has well lit secure parking lot. The manager will make sure your stay is the best possible. You will not be disappointed choosing Courtyard Marrott Springfield, VA.
Terry B.
Prince George VA.

Room Tip: All of them are great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our property. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate your needs. I will make sure to share your comments with all of our staff members. We look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a neat and clean hotel that has basic ammenities such as indoor pool and hot tub. Rooms were roomy and bedding was comfortable and a nice flat screen tv and desk round out the room. There are coffee makers in the room however free breakfast does not exist here. There is a Starbucks kiosk in the lobby and they do have a small market with drinks and chipt etc to go. They also have a small bistro dining area for meals at limited hours. This hotel is directly accross the street from the Waterford catering hall where we were attending a wedding. Staff is friendly and polite. Only con noted was very limited pool hours.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the Springfield area. I am pleased that our hotel was able to meet your needs. I do want to let you know that we do offer discounted rates with breakfast included. Please check our website for specials. Our pool is opened during specific times due to our county guidelines. We have it opened 5pm-10pm weekdays and 10am-10pm weekends. Holidays we have the pool opened 10am-10pm. Do not hesitate to call us if you have any additional questions.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I pulled into the Courtyard by Marriot, Springfield, VA, parking lot. I parked my car, and entered the hotel. I walked into the lobby.

The vending machine room and two receptionist desks stood to the left. A coffee and sandwich bar stood to the right of me. The dining room sat adjacent to the coffee and sandwich bar. A breakfast bar, with electric sockets, stood in the back of the dining room.

The entertainment area sat at the far side. This was like an airport style lounge, with a flat screen TV, and electric sockets for laptop and phone extension chords.

I walked to the receptionist, and asked if they had any availability. The receptionist replied that there was, and asked me for what I was looking for. I asked for a non smoking room for one night.

The receptionist told me what I was looking at, price wise, for the night. I asked him if they had a military or government rate. He advised me to go for their special rate, as the business, government and military rate were higher for that day. They had a conference going on. I accepted their special rate.

I handed him my credit card and driver's license. The receptionist signed me in. He asked me if I wanted two queen sized beds, or one king sized bed. I asked for one king sized bed. He asked me which floor I wanted. I asked for the second floor. He completed the transaction, then had me sign a printout. After I signed the printout, he asked me if I wanted one or two key cards. I asked for two key cards.

After scanning them in, and handing them to me, he told me where the stairs and elevator were at. He also told me what the Courtyard by Marriott dining hours were. I took the cards and went up to the room. The room smelt like cigarettes. I came back downstairs and let them know that the room smelt like cigarette smoke.

He apologized, then reassigned me to another room. The original room had a balcony, where smoking was allowed. It appeared that previous guests smoked inside the room in addition to on the balcony.

The receptionist handed me a complimentary bottle of water while I waited for the second room. I had my key cards within a couple of minutes of receiving the bottle of water.

As soon as I got into the second room, I walked to the air conditioner. I turned it on and set it to 69F. I went downstairs, to my car, and grabbed the bags that I was going to need for the night.

I went back upstairs and entered the room.

The switches were within reach by the door. The bathroom was to my immediate right. A dresser with a flat screen TV and a business desk stood by the wall on my left. A bucket with a couple of cups sat on top of the dresser, along with a book containing area information. The coffee station also sat on the table.

The bathroom area had a mini room to itself on my right. Beyond that was the main sleeping area. The bed stood to the right on the other side of the bathroom. A three seat cushion sofa sat in the far right corner, right next to a coffee table.

I looked out the window, and saw my car sitting in the parking lot.

I pulled my laptop out, plugged it in, and set it up. As soon as it was ready, I accessed the wire free internet. I clicked on their network, and surfed the different news sites. Going from one website to another was like being on cable internet. I accessed my emails and got caught up to my correspondence.

After I completed my internet business, I went downstairs to grab something to eat.

I walked up to their kiosk, and read the options on the menu. I selected hamburger with fries. I placed my order with the kiosk operator. After he entered my order, and I made my payment, he handed me a waiting number. It came on a mini stand. He told me to put it on a table of my choice, and the cooks will get it out to me.

I placed it on a table, then walked around the rest of "The Bistro." I walked to the other side to check the lounge out. They had a conference going in one of the ball rooms. I kept an eye on the Bistro area while looking around.

At that point, the staff tested their fire alarm systems. Another hotel patron came up to the kiosk and asked if that was real. The man running the kiosk said, "Yes, everybody must go outside." I walked outside.

I stood by the door. Five minutes later, the man running the kiosk came out and let me know that my food was ready. I entered the building. They were finishing up with the fire drill. I walked to the table and saw an order that was larger than what I imagined. The hamburger was thick, and ¾ of the plate overflowed with golden fries.

I took my time eating, just so that I could enjoy the taste. The man running the kiosk came up to me and asked me if everything was going alright. I said yes. After I ate the meal, I ran the empty plate back to the kitchen. The chef grew a big smile and thanked me.

I went back upstairs for the remainder of the night. It didn't take me long to fall asleep. I got up the next day, and used the bathroom. I easily set the shower up to give me the right pressure and temperature combination. After a good shower, I dried up, got into clean clothing, then went downstairs for breakfast.

The ordering procedure was the same as the previous night, except I selected a breakfast item. After eating breakfast, I went back upstairs and gathered my belongings back into my bags. I took them to the car, then went back upstairs to double check for stray personal items.

I came back downstairs to check out. I handed my room key cards to the Courtyard by Marriott receptionist. After checking my account, she cleared me.

Room Tip: They allow smoking on the balconies, even if the room is smoke free. Ask for a room without a balcon...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the Springfield VA area. I am glad that we were able to meet your needs. We look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The company I work for has a subsidiary near this Courtyard. When in town we have stayed at this hotel fifteen or more nights per year over twelve years. Since the renovation several years ago, this facility went from mediocre to great for the value.

The rooms are well appointed and always clean. The common areas are well maintained but, due to heavy use, wears fast.

The food service changed with the renovation to a kiosk style food center. While this is not a JW, the food is good, hot, fast and works for the value.

The location is amazing, not for the view, for the access. In and around DC getting to a place by car can be challenging no matter what. In two turns you can get to 95 north or south, 495 and 395. You cannot top this.

The staff, from front desk to housekeeping, are simply great. Friendly and attentive.

Give this place a try.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the wonderful comments. It's our pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to continuing accommodating your stay.