“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Springfield
New York
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a neat and clean hotel that has basic ammenities such as indoor pool and hot tub. Rooms were roomy and bedding was comfortable and a nice flat screen tv and desk round out the room. There are coffee makers in the room however free breakfast does not exist here. There is a Starbucks kiosk in the lobby and they do have a small market with drinks and chipt etc to go. They also have a small bistro dining area for meals at limited hours. This hotel is directly accross the street from the Waterford catering hall where we were attending a wedding. Staff is friendly and polite. Only con noted was very limited pool hours.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the Springfield area. I am pleased that our hotel was able to meet your needs. I do want to let you know that we do offer discounted rates with breakfast included. Please check our website for specials. Our pool is opened during specific times due to our county guidelines. We have it opened 5pm-10pm weekdays and 10am-10pm weekends. Holidays we have the pool opened 10am-10pm. Do not hesitate to call us if you have any additional questions.

I thank you again for staying with us and look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I pulled into the Courtyard by Marriot, Springfield, VA, parking lot. I parked my car, and entered the hotel. I walked into the lobby.

The vending machine room and two receptionist desks stood to the left. A coffee and sandwich bar stood to the right of me. The dining room sat adjacent to the coffee and sandwich bar. A breakfast bar, with electric sockets, stood in the back of the dining room.

The entertainment area sat at the far side. This was like an airport style lounge, with a flat screen TV, and electric sockets for laptop and phone extension chords.

I walked to the receptionist, and asked if they had any availability. The receptionist replied that there was, and asked me for what I was looking for. I asked for a non smoking room for one night.

The receptionist told me what I was looking at, price wise, for the night. I asked him if they had a military or government rate. He advised me to go for their special rate, as the business, government and military rate were higher for that day. They had a conference going on. I accepted their special rate.

I handed him my credit card and driver's license. The receptionist signed me in. He asked me if I wanted two queen sized beds, or one king sized bed. I asked for one king sized bed. He asked me which floor I wanted. I asked for the second floor. He completed the transaction, then had me sign a printout. After I signed the printout, he asked me if I wanted one or two key cards. I asked for two key cards.

After scanning them in, and handing them to me, he told me where the stairs and elevator were at. He also told me what the Courtyard by Marriott dining hours were. I took the cards and went up to the room. The room smelt like cigarettes. I came back downstairs and let them know that the room smelt like cigarette smoke.

He apologized, then reassigned me to another room. The original room had a balcony, where smoking was allowed. It appeared that previous guests smoked inside the room in addition to on the balcony.

The receptionist handed me a complimentary bottle of water while I waited for the second room. I had my key cards within a couple of minutes of receiving the bottle of water.

As soon as I got into the second room, I walked to the air conditioner. I turned it on and set it to 69F. I went downstairs, to my car, and grabbed the bags that I was going to need for the night.

I went back upstairs and entered the room.

The switches were within reach by the door. The bathroom was to my immediate right. A dresser with a flat screen TV and a business desk stood by the wall on my left. A bucket with a couple of cups sat on top of the dresser, along with a book containing area information. The coffee station also sat on the table.

The bathroom area had a mini room to itself on my right. Beyond that was the main sleeping area. The bed stood to the right on the other side of the bathroom. A three seat cushion sofa sat in the far right corner, right next to a coffee table.

I looked out the window, and saw my car sitting in the parking lot.

I pulled my laptop out, plugged it in, and set it up. As soon as it was ready, I accessed the wire free internet. I clicked on their network, and surfed the different news sites. Going from one website to another was like being on cable internet. I accessed my emails and got caught up to my correspondence.

After I completed my internet business, I went downstairs to grab something to eat.

I walked up to their kiosk, and read the options on the menu. I selected hamburger with fries. I placed my order with the kiosk operator. After he entered my order, and I made my payment, he handed me a waiting number. It came on a mini stand. He told me to put it on a table of my choice, and the cooks will get it out to me.

I placed it on a table, then walked around the rest of "The Bistro." I walked to the other side to check the lounge out. They had a conference going in one of the ball rooms. I kept an eye on the Bistro area while looking around.

At that point, the staff tested their fire alarm systems. Another hotel patron came up to the kiosk and asked if that was real. The man running the kiosk said, "Yes, everybody must go outside." I walked outside.

I stood by the door. Five minutes later, the man running the kiosk came out and let me know that my food was ready. I entered the building. They were finishing up with the fire drill. I walked to the table and saw an order that was larger than what I imagined. The hamburger was thick, and ¾ of the plate overflowed with golden fries.

I took my time eating, just so that I could enjoy the taste. The man running the kiosk came up to me and asked me if everything was going alright. I said yes. After I ate the meal, I ran the empty plate back to the kitchen. The chef grew a big smile and thanked me.

I went back upstairs for the remainder of the night. It didn't take me long to fall asleep. I got up the next day, and used the bathroom. I easily set the shower up to give me the right pressure and temperature combination. After a good shower, I dried up, got into clean clothing, then went downstairs for breakfast.

The ordering procedure was the same as the previous night, except I selected a breakfast item. After eating breakfast, I went back upstairs and gathered my belongings back into my bags. I took them to the car, then went back upstairs to double check for stray personal items.

I came back downstairs to check out. I handed my room key cards to the Courtyard by Marriott receptionist. After checking my account, she cleared me.

Room Tip: They allow smoking on the balconies, even if the room is smoke free. Ask for a room without a balcon...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the Springfield VA area. I am glad that we were able to meet your needs. We look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The company I work for has a subsidiary near this Courtyard. When in town we have stayed at this hotel fifteen or more nights per year over twelve years. Since the renovation several years ago, this facility went from mediocre to great for the value.

The rooms are well appointed and always clean. The common areas are well maintained but, due to heavy use, wears fast.

The food service changed with the renovation to a kiosk style food center. While this is not a JW, the food is good, hot, fast and works for the value.

The location is amazing, not for the view, for the access. In and around DC getting to a place by car can be challenging no matter what. In two turns you can get to 95 north or south, 495 and 395. You cannot top this.

The staff, from front desk to housekeeping, are simply great. Friendly and attentive.

Give this place a try.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the wonderful comments. It's our pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to continuing accommodating your stay.

Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

While having some construction done on my home, I stayed locally at this Courtyard facility. My primary goal was to stay at an ADA compliant hotel, but I ended up getting resort treatment during my two-night stay. The rooms were posh, well-appointed and clean in addition to being fully accessible. The Bistro menu choices, were good and quickly delivered. The staff was excellent, and made you feel as if you were the most important guest there. Diane at the front desk was the best face of the facility...elegant, professional, and helpful. I cannot say enough good things about this property.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side (away from the highway) are quieter but the insulated drapes went a long way...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure having you at our property. I am glad our staff was able to accommodate your needs. I will make sure to share your wonderful comments with them. We look forward to accommodating your stay in the future.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here for three nights while visiting family in Alexandria. The hotel is nice enough, with a bar and cafe in the lobby which is open sometimes. The room was quite large and comfortable, with a king sized bed, small couch, coffee table, desk, and TV. I would go so far as to call it almost luxurious. The only thing I didn't like was being on the ground floor and having cars park right outside my window, but the room had a blackout shade which I kept drawn any time I was in there. There was also a gym and a small pool. You could only use the pool if the lifeguard was on duty, but I should mention that the pool and hot tub were both completely ADA compliant; they had some kind of mechanical chairs that would raise and lower a handicapped person into and out of the pool and hot tub, which I thought was really thoughtful. I didn't use any of the amenities, but I did partake of the free coffee, offered all day as far as I could tell, and my room rate also came with a free breakfast for two which was a nice way to start the day. The lobby area was spacious, which gave us a convenient place to meet up with family. At some point during my stay, my mother brought my nieces over to the hotel pool to swim for a bit, which nobody at the hotel complained about. The cleanliness and spaciousness of the room made for a very comfortable stay, and we got it all for a very reasonable rate. Parking was free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to accommodating your stay next time you are in the Springfield VA area.
Carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had a pleasant stay July 4th after viewing the fireworks in DC. It was very quiet and clean for the most part and the location was great and it was good bang for the buck on the 4th, no pun intended. The only reasons that I didn't give it 5 stars was it was a very hot holiday and would have liked working ice machine on my floor and/or a frig in the room to keep cold drinks. I would stay again but recommend bringing in your own cooler with ice for convenience if you like a cold water during the night. I wouldn't have liked to run down to the lobby for a drink in the middle of the night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Springfield_CY_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that your overall stay was great . I would like to also apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us with the ice machine. Unfortunately, we did have the ice machine go down that day. Our staff was able to solve the problem and is now working perfectly. In the future, do not hesitate to let us know if we can assist you in bringing up some ice for you. We understand the inconvenience and want to make sure we accommodate as best as possible.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was traveling on business in the Alexandria area coming from Bethesda MD. I arrived late & the hotel concierge helped me very quickly and I was in my room. The room was quiet & the room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. There was a table, a nice little sofa, and a desk. There was no microwave/mini fridge in the room. Something to keep in mind.

The gym was very nice with nice cardio equipment. Weights were a little bit more minimalistic.

Overall, I'd go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the Springfield area. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our property. In reference to the refrigerator/microwave, I do want to let you know that we do have them available. Do not hesitate to request one while making a reservation or with our front desk staff. We understand how important that amenity is and want to make sure you receive one while you are staying with us.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Springfield? Share your experiences!