“Exceptionally nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Madison Heights, Virginia
“Exceptionally nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We have stayed in many Comfort Inns, but this is one of the best. Everything is first class, from the carpet in the hallways to the bedspreads and linens. Breakfast was typical Comfort Inn, with waffles, bagels, yogurt, cereal, pastries, etc. The breakfast room was clean and well maintained, and the staff was helpful. We asked about parking at the nearby Metro station, but we were told to take their van instead of driving there ourselves. The van came immediately; we didn't have to wait for a scheduled departure. When we were ready to return to the hotel, we telephoned and the van arrived promptly. We had actually checked out of the hotel that morning, but we were told that we were welcome to leave our car there and use the van anyhow. I had read the good reviews for this hotel, and it certainly lived up to my expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

Chose this hotel for its convenient location, close to the I95, Springfield Mall and the terminus of the red metro rail line. Proved to be a good base from which to take the metro into the centre of Washington DC to visit the tourist circuit. Comfortable room, breakfast could have been improved but still satisfactory. Staff encountered helpful and pleasant. Temperamental room lock problem quickly fixed upon request. Shuttle bus on demand service for metro was excellent and managers’ early evening promotion a nice touch but food offering not to my taste. Still a very satisfactory stay in what appears to be a well managed hotel.

• Liked — The convienant shuttle bus to the metro
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

Having stayed at several different Comfort Inns around the country, I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised at the luxurious room we were in. Each double bed had 4 big fluffy pillows, not too scratchy sheets, and a beautiful blanket and bedspread. Free internet hookup! A refrigerator and a microwave. Coffee pot, and cable with 100 channels! Wish I was staying more than one night! There were pleanty of towels in the bathroom, and the shower worked well!
Only issue I have is with the desk clerk that checked us in. She didn't bother to inform us that to open the door you have to pull the handle "up" not down like most people would. After lugging all our belongings upstairs (including a dog), we had to go back down to the lobby to find out what our problem was. I attribute it to only that one clerk. Our morning clerk was very helpful and pleasant.
The best part? Breakfast. They had the most wonderful no frills breakfast set up in a quaint room off the lobby (it even had TV). I say "no frills" because there was nothing exceptional, but there was a "make your own belguim waffle" station, cold cereal, hot oatmeal, bagles, yougurt, hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit, danishes, orange and cranberry juice, and of course hot coffee. There was even a coffee station in the lobby that was filled any time of the day or night. I realize that this may seem trivial, but to some people this is important!
We usually stay at the location in Fairfax, but will probably be choosing this location instead from now on. A much cleaner, well maintained hotel, and a great price! We paid a AAA rate of 80.10 per night. Add on the tax and it came to a bit over $88. The breakfast alone was worth $10 (for the two of us).

• Liked — Great Breakfast; truely dog friendly!
  • Disliked — Other than the clerk that checked us in, nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

We recently returned from a stay at the Comfort Inn Springfield and were pleasantly surprised! Our primary purpose in the area was visiting DC during the Cherry Blossom Festival- we were able to obtain an employee reduced rate for this property, MUCH cheaper than staying actually in DC (our 5 night stay was less expensive than one night in DC!).
I was somewhat leary due to the lack of recent reviews, however I have nothing but good things to say. The property is located directly across the way from Springfield Mall, although we never visited it. We commuted daily into DC via the Metro- the station is a five minute drive from the hotel. The ride into DC was approximately 20 minutes. Parking is free at the station on weekends, and we took advantage of the free shuttle on the weekdays (runs 7am-10pm). We never had to wait more than a few minutes to be picked up upon arrival on the Metro.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. I made the mistake of booking a smoking room and was unable to switch due to the property being sold out. VERY strong smoke smell, but, again, my error.
Free continental breakfast every AM was a nice perk. Waffles (make your own), pastries, bagels, cereal, fruit, etc. 24-hour coffee was also available in the lobby. I believe that there were snacks available in the evening (5:30-6:30), however we were never there at that time to take advantage of.
The pool and exercise facitilies are located next door at the Hampton Inn. Again, never took advantage of. There is also Internet access located in the lobby.
The front desk staff were very pleasant and accomodating, as was the gentleman who assisted me when I had issues with the Internet.
In summary , the property exceeded my expectations- I did not expect much, but I was very pleased. The property served our purposes. We were able to save quite a bit of money by staying here and commuting into DC for sightseeing, although the distance into DC (approx 20-25 mins) may put off some. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

I will keep this simple....or try to.

The hotel was OK.
I was there for fun and relaxation for the weekend.

I was ready to relax and once I was comfy to watch TV and enjoy a nice snack, I hear a dog barking. I was like "what the heck is that?!!!".

I called downstairs and found out that pets were permitted...OH HECK NO!!!
I don't have pets at home and not going to do it in a hotel!!!

The dog would not stop barking. This went on for about 10 minutes.
I called back to the front desk to inform that I would like to change rooms because I came for relaxation and it will not happen if the dogs keep barking.
The front desk changed my room (lots of back and forth to finally get situated, but my room was a tad better then the previous room).

It turned out that there was a barking dog on the other floor, but I could not hear it once I closed my doors.

I tried to use the computer, but the kids in the hotel were ALWAYS on it.

The breakfast was decent and it did it's job. Waffles (make your own), bagels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc.

It was a weekend of many revelations and decisions in my life.
That was one reason I needed peace and quiet.
The first was... I will not return to this hotel simply because of the PETS!

I think I will go back to the Hilton across the street or try to other hotels on the Franconia side of the Highway.

• Liked — immediately off highway and close to METRO (drive)
  • Disliked — Pets allowed!!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clinton, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Stayed here on business...wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to see how plush and comfortable the beds were and clean the rooms were. There were free cocktails and appetizers in the evenings and a nice continental breakfast in the mornings. Pleasantly surprised!

• Liked — Bedding, Concierge service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pisa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

Good things: The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. I was in room 362 which was a nice room. It has microwave, fridge, ironing board, hair dryer and a computer safe. There is a mall 500 ft from the hotel, however it is in a part of the city that might be dangerous especially at night.
Bad things: The wireless connection was iffy and we had to hook up our router. The breakfast buffet is ludicrous. We asked for a wake-up call which did NOT come although they showed us a log saying they phoned. Well the phone did not ring and they insisted it did. I was there to be trained and I could make it downstairs half an hour AFTER the scheduled time.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!