“Value option in D.C. area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Taiyuan, China
“Value option in D.C. area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I got a great rate at this hotel and a free upgrade. Since I was driving, a hotel with free parking was key, and I was also looking for free internet and breakfast, which this hotel offers.

The hotel is surrounded by parking lots and office buildings. It has a larger lobby than many Comfort Inns, and the older elevators suggest that this is a fairly old hotel that has been renovated. Overall, it is nothing special, but the interior is pleasant.

The upgraded room had a king bed and sofa. It was clean and in good condition with newer furnishings. Everything seemed fine--lighting, outlets, wifi, the beds, and so forth.

Breakfast was typical for this sort of hotel with continental breakfast, waffle makers and a couple of hot options.

The reception was friendly and seemed eager to please. The free upgrade was unnecessary, but a nice touch.

Except for being a bit unexciting, I can't fault this hotel. It offered everything I wanted and did it well. If one is looking for a clean, friendly and functional hotel just outside of DC, this could fit the bill. The main consideration may be the location: it is a short drive from the city, and their are many shops and restaurants with free parking nearby--it is a sprawling northern VA suburb very close to the city. It is not on the metro, however. The hotel does have a shuttle to the metro, though that would not be as convenient as a hotel closer to a station.

The Springfield area has a lot of strip malls, but there are also a lot of decent ethnic restaurants along with the usual chains. It's not an attractive area, but seems safe and is convenient for guests with a car.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My Husband & I stayed here during a business trip Feb. 2-4, 2014. Our room was nice, with most everything we needed. However, when we returned from a full day of meetings the evening of 2/3/14, the maid had not been to our room! The trash had not been emptied, the bed not made, nor had the towels replenished - there had been no maid service! We called the front desk twice before someone showed up, and then she only emptied the trash! She did not ask about towels or check to see that our tissues were empty!

There was even a sign in the elevator that said that bed linens and duvet covers were changed daily, no matter how many nights you were staying. The craziest thing was that there was another sign in the room that said that if you wanted to use your towels again to hang them up, yet there were no towel rods to hang them on! For a room that cost $150/night, you'd expect prompt service and we got none!

We did enjoy the breakfast room and the variety of foods; however, there was supposed to be a hot beverage center 24-hours, and it was not replenished after breakfast.

As we were checking out, my husband complained at the front desk and they said they had an 100% satisfaction money back guarantee and they'd refund our account.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Providence Forge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This must be an old hotel. Although I did not see any refurbishing going on, some kind of internal upgrading must be taking place. On the 4th floor, where my room was, was lots of plastic wrapped furniture near the storage room (which was wide open). The soda pop machine was loud all night. I used the laundry room and found it to be just a step above the ones you see in poor neighbor hoods. I'll post pictures later. There was accumulated dust on the ceiling and behind the machines. It hadn't been cleaned in a while. My room looked like the bathroom door was painted over because the door knob was painted over as well as the chipped door itself. How come there's no exhaust in hotel bathrooms anymore? This one did not have one. The website for the hotel boasted having a 24 hour gym, but you have to walk to the Hampton Inn down the street to use it. Who ever heard of sharing a gym? There was a free after hours meet and greet for an hour, but it was also at the Hampton Inn down the street. There were not any upgrades in the room, TV, fridge, microwave, etc. There weren't any usb sockets either. I mentioned these concerns to the check out girl. All she did was smile. I won't stay there again. I work next door at AECOM. We were supposed to get a discount, but it wasn't honored. I'll stay at the Hilton or Hampton Inn next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. It was too expensive for what you get.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip in November. The hotel has a well thought of decor and the rooms accommodated me and my shih tzu very well. Conveniently enough, there was also a reasonably priced Budget Rent A Car located inside the hotel. There was also a very pleasant young lady at the front desk named Nurian . She was extremely cordial and inviting throughout my stay. She tended to my every need in a timely manner. The breakfast was tasty and well served. Overall my experience was very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here so that she could attend a Cosmetology Practical Exam being held the following morning. It was snowing out so we decided it just made sense to stay at the hotel where the exam would be given rather than having to get up extra early to brave the inclement weather that was coming into the area.

We made an excellent choice here...and I didn't expect anything less, given the great experience we've had with the Choice Hotels brand of accommodations!

We arrived just before the posted Check In time, but that didn't bother the staff. Not a bit, in fact, they were so very courteous, taking time to point out the ammenities they provide at the hotel, namely the Continental breakfast room, the various points of interest close by (they took their time to show us where we were with respect to the Springfield Mall, to the local diners and restaurants, entertainment, sightseeing etc.

When we got our door access cards, and arrived at our room (by the way, the entire inside of the hotel was clean, immaculately! And because it was the Holiday season, there were festive decorations everywhere that made it feel like home!) we found it be extremely clean, fresh smelling (gotta love THAT), and well stocked with what we needed.

I had remembered to bring my razor, but not my shaving cream. Same thing with my toothbrush, inadvertently leaving the toothpaste at home. In trouble? nope. I simple called down to the desk and within minutes, a courteous staff member had a complimentary shaving cream and toothpaste in my ready hands!

I felt at home here...and so did my wife, and that was so much more important, as she needed to be fresh and alert for the exam the next morning....she was! What a wonderful, comfortable bed!

Ok, one ding...and it isn't a biggie...but it would have been nice to find a state-of-the-art LED/LCD Flat TV to watch our favorite shows on...instead of the rather out-moded CRT style. But it was still ok. Really, that is the only "ding" I can give them. EVERYTHING else was fantastic.

if you come to the Washington DC area, and want comfort, clean environment, and well appointed rooms for not the high dollar cost you would expect to shell out, stay at the Comfort Inn in Springfield, VA. Only a half hour at most from the District itself, and still within the same time distance from all the major shopping centers in the Washington DC metropolitan area...you can't beat the deal and the price.

Enjoy! We did!

Room Tip: I've heard that the rooms on the fourth floor are a bit more "quiet", but I don't...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Chesterfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have stayed here a few times when visiting DC area..rooms are above average and clean..only complaint is they need to upgrade to HD tvs..who has tube tvs anymore? Young lady at front desk was sweet and helpful..wish they had a small gym because one at Hampton next door stinks..free breakfast is pretty good..we will return

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilbert Az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here after visiting some local sites, the next day we were going to catch the metro and go into Washington DC for the day. They hotel was very courteous in that they shuttled us to/from the metro station and let us continue to park at their hotel.

I would stay here again, if given the opportunity.

Great staff! Thank you

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!