“Very Decent DC Alternative” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Rochester, NY
“Very Decent DC Alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

We recently returned from a stay at the Comfort Inn Springfield and were pleasantly surprised! Our primary purpose in the area was visiting DC during the Cherry Blossom Festival- we were able to obtain an employee reduced rate for this property, MUCH cheaper than staying actually in DC (our 5 night stay was less expensive than one night in DC!).
I was somewhat leary due to the lack of recent reviews, however I have nothing but good things to say. The property is located directly across the way from Springfield Mall, although we never visited it. We commuted daily into DC via the Metro- the station is a five minute drive from the hotel. The ride into DC was approximately 20 minutes. Parking is free at the station on weekends, and we took advantage of the free shuttle on the weekdays (runs 7am-10pm). We never had to wait more than a few minutes to be picked up upon arrival on the Metro.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. I made the mistake of booking a smoking room and was unable to switch due to the property being sold out. VERY strong smoke smell, but, again, my error.
Free continental breakfast every AM was a nice perk. Waffles (make your own), pastries, bagels, cereal, fruit, etc. 24-hour coffee was also available in the lobby. I believe that there were snacks available in the evening (5:30-6:30), however we were never there at that time to take advantage of.
The pool and exercise facitilies are located next door at the Hampton Inn. Again, never took advantage of. There is also Internet access located in the lobby.
The front desk staff were very pleasant and accomodating, as was the gentleman who assisted me when I had issues with the Internet.
In summary , the property exceeded my expectations- I did not expect much, but I was very pleased. The property served our purposes. We were able to save quite a bit of money by staying here and commuting into DC for sightseeing, although the distance into DC (approx 20-25 mins) may put off some. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

I will keep this simple....or try to.

The hotel was OK.
I was there for fun and relaxation for the weekend.

I was ready to relax and once I was comfy to watch TV and enjoy a nice snack, I hear a dog barking. I was like "what the heck is that?!!!".

I called downstairs and found out that pets were permitted...OH HECK NO!!!
I don't have pets at home and not going to do it in a hotel!!!

The dog would not stop barking. This went on for about 10 minutes.
I called back to the front desk to inform that I would like to change rooms because I came for relaxation and it will not happen if the dogs keep barking.
The front desk changed my room (lots of back and forth to finally get situated, but my room was a tad better then the previous room).

It turned out that there was a barking dog on the other floor, but I could not hear it once I closed my doors.

I tried to use the computer, but the kids in the hotel were ALWAYS on it.

The breakfast was decent and it did it's job. Waffles (make your own), bagels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc.

It was a weekend of many revelations and decisions in my life.
That was one reason I needed peace and quiet.
The first was... I will not return to this hotel simply because of the PETS!

I think I will go back to the Hilton across the street or try to other hotels on the Franconia side of the Highway.

• Liked — immediately off highway and close to METRO (drive)
  • Disliked — Pets allowed!!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clinton, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Stayed here on business...wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to see how plush and comfortable the beds were and clean the rooms were. There were free cocktails and appetizers in the evenings and a nice continental breakfast in the mornings. Pleasantly surprised!

• Liked — Bedding, Concierge service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pisa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

Good things: The staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. I was in room 362 which was a nice room. It has microwave, fridge, ironing board, hair dryer and a computer safe. There is a mall 500 ft from the hotel, however it is in a part of the city that might be dangerous especially at night.
Bad things: The wireless connection was iffy and we had to hook up our router. The breakfast buffet is ludicrous. We asked for a wake-up call which did NOT come although they showed us a log saying they phoned. Well the phone did not ring and they insisted it did. I was there to be trained and I could make it downstairs half an hour AFTER the scheduled time.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2006

I stayed here for two nights and found the hotel to be a good choice. My co-worker had a different room than mine, and his room was not as nice as mine (the heater/ac unit was older, etc), so I may just have gotten lucky. (I'm elite with Marriott, and normally stay at the TownePlace Suites, but they were full, so the Comfort Inn got our business this time.)

The breakfast in the morning had a good variety- from bagels to cereal to make your own waffles to yogurt and more.

My co-worker said that the hotel's High Speed Wireless internet was slow, and so he just attached to the one from the neighboring Hilton hotel, which he said was much faster.

The TV gets about 90 channels, including ones like Comedy Central, which is good.

I was slightly irked that the in-room safe was charged to my bill ($1.50/day + tax) as an extra line item regardless as to the fact that I never opened the safe. Even when I was vacationing in Jamaica, the in-room safes were part of the room rate (and you actually need one there...)

I would consider staying here again when I am in Springfield next.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

This hotel has a feel and service of a 5 star hotel. I stayed there on business and I enjoyed it very much. This is a Great hotel for all business travelers and government employees. Our rate was under the per diem rate and it included a great breakfast, happy hour and free internet. Its location is excellent I am traveling back to the area this summer with my family and I have found my hotel of choice for the Washington DC area.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2005

Paid $129/night + tax for 1 night.

Staff was friendly. As other reviewer said, the shuttle was quick to be of use. Took it from Metro to hotel, and also to/from dinner at Mike's American Grill (very good food, service could have been better).

Lights of elevator buttons didn't work. Hotel/Lobby decor was a bit dated and in need of some help.

Room seemed mostly clean. Sheets/Blankets seemed clean. Floor, desk, fridge/MW and counters seemed clean. Toilet had been partially flushed but still a bit 'nasty', if you know what I mean. I guess it was overlooked during cleaning.

Lightbulb at entryway was burnt out upon arrival. Room was non-smoking (as requested) and seemed to be non-smoking (no smokey smell), but hallway did seem to have some smokiness - perhaps a smoking room at the far end or someone cheating...

Breakfast was good for a complimentary breakfast.

No fitness room or pool, although a partnership with Bally's at a mall across some roads.

Would I stay again? Probably not unless other hotels were fully booked.

Tim

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!