“Dingy hotel, terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Savannah, Georgia
“Dingy hotel, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Didn't really expect much from this hotel to begin with, but was very surprised at the level of service, and condition of the rooms for the price we paid. For the same price we could have stayed at a much nicer hotel, but stayed here since the location was more convenient to my family's home, whom we were visiting over the holidays. Firstly, the rooms are dingy and gross. Had to track down a remote control for our t.v., after about an hour finally got one from the security guard, of all people. Went to get change for the vending machines and was told, VERY rudely, by the woman at front desk that they do not give change to GUESTS for vending. Spent 15 minutes tracking down change just to find out the machines on my floor weren't even working. Went to the next floors machines and it ate my money. Breakfast was worst of all. Everything tasted old, and the selection was poor. After checking out, I realized I had forgotten a personal belonging in the bathroom of our room. Went back just a few hours later to retrieve it and was informed that it was locked in housekeeping and no one on site had a key. This was upsetting, as it was a fairly expensive object, and why wouldn't they have access to their own housekeeping room? I was told to come back the next day, but, surprise surprise, I DON'T LIVE IN SPRINGFIELD, VA which was why I was at a hotel to begin with. Ugh! I asked if they could mail me my belonging and was asked for a credit card number to pay for shipping!! I could understand paying for shipping if I had waited til I got home (700 miles away) and THEN called about it. But I went to the hotel to get it, and if they can't get into their own laundry room, why is that my problem? All in all I was very disappointed. There are FAR BETTER hotels in the same area with comparable prices. I will never stay at another Comfort Inn if I can help it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Summary: I picked this place because of the TripAdvisor reviews and price. Spend the extra $20 and stay at one of the nicer places down the road. Room, service, and food were all terrible.

We stayed for one night at the hotel during a medical visit to the area in November. We were quite fooled by the TripAdvisor rating.

The room: We were placed in a handicap-accessible room settled among rooms occupied by a touring middle school. Our room hadn't been updated since 1992 and every piece of furniture was damaged. The sink was tiny. The CRT TV had terrible picture. The bed was uncomfortable. The floor was filthy.

The service: We arrived around 9pm. The front desk attendant was rude and barely offered a "Hello". I thought that I had pre-paid for the room (which I had not), and when I asked about it, the most condescending "No, you have not" was leveled my way. I paid, explaining that I was just confused, to which the reply was, "It shows right here you have not, SIR." We later called the front desk because the middle-schoolers in the room above us were running rampant at 10:30pm. "*SIGH* Okay. *Click*" She did nothing. There was no knock at the upstairs door and their tirade continued for another 45 minutes.

The food: Don't even bother with breakfast. The breakfast room was the same temperature as the outside (about 48 degrees). Patrons were dressed in their winter coats, but we had no idea until we arrived. One guest asked the barely-English speaking attendant if we could turn up the heat, but she refused. All of the food was cold, even the "hot" items. The apple juice tasted like vinegar. The milk was spoiled.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were looking for a reasonable rate hotel in the area. With an AARP discount (or was it AAA?) we got a great bargain. The hotel is very clean, the personnel were friendly and accomodating. Yes, it is an older building, but I also found that being part of the charm. Bedding was new and fresh. Room had a king sized bed, good size desk, micro, refrig, wardrobe, etc. I particiularly liked the upholstered chair and ottoman with a good reading lamp, smothing some newer hotels don't have. We also had trouble connecting with the wi-fi, but there was a cable behind the desk which worked just fine. The free breakfast was as good as any in similar hotels. All you can eat. Mon.-Thurs. there is a Manager's reception with chicken wings, some spicy, some not; an excellent potato salad, rolls, carrots and celery, assortment of drinks; warm choc-chip cookies.
If we were on a very limited budget, we could have survived nicely on the free food. There was an excellent restaurant across the street (about a half block), Houlihan's. Also nearby are several eateries, Subway, Japanese, Thai, pizza, etc. but due to heavy multi-lane traffic, we drove there. The Springfield Mall is across the main street, and although it looks closed due to renovations, many stores are open. The most difficult part was negotiating the exits on the Springfield interchange. Maddening! Coming south on 95 you will want the Franconia east exit and get off on Loisdale Rd. keep to the right; don't go over the bridge (like we did - twice). The main thing lacking is enough electrical outlets for all our gadgets that need recharging.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is an older property, as other reviewers have noted, but the owners have done a good job of keeping everything in great shape. Some of the older fixtures actually add a charm to the place. The room was clean. This is most important to me! My bed was comfortable to the point of making it difficult getting out of it in the morning. There was plenty of space in my room and I always appreciate the convenience of a refrigerator and microwave. The only drawbacks for me were a weak wi-fi signal and the absence of eateries within walking distance. My iPad is 3G enabled so I survived. All in all I give this property and "A" rating for price and location.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in a quiet area so other than being too close to the elevators any room will pr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very good value for the money. The rooms are fresh and modern. If you are inclined to visit Washington the Inn provides a courtesy van to the train station (only a few minutes away). Breakfast is very decent - waffles, boiled eggs, selection of fruits and cereals. Also a great location if you are just there for the night and are continuing a journey. Pool is NOT located in the same building so keep that in mind. Don't forget to return your electronic room key or you will be charged!

Room Tip: Parking is less convenient if you have rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lorton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

6560 Loisdale Ct, Springfield... Having been in the DC area a couple of years prior to this stay due to my time in the military at nearby Fort Belvoir, I knew it would be difficult to find a decent hotel under $100. Somehow I found this one and am glad I did...The hotel itself was neat and clean, as was my room. I was mildly impressed that there weren't any strange [musty/smoky] odors in my hallway and room. The bed was comfy and the bedding was clean, the tv was a nice flat screen, and I had a mini fridge to keep my drinks and lunch stuff cold all week. I had no problems with the wifi, and having that in the room (as apposed to only in the lobby) was an added convenience. The staff was friendly, but the continental breakfast was rather small - I can't complain though for the price. The location is close to entrances to the Beltway. There aren't any restaurants within waking distance, however there is a Target across the double lane road and a Barnes & Noble, DSW and Bed Bath and Beyond a short walk over on the same side of the street as the hotel. Overall I had a good experience and would either recommend it to others and/or stay here again myself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Carthage, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family stayed here for 4 days in Sept 2012 and had a great experience. All of the staff, from the front desk to the cleaning crew were very friendly and helpful. The complimentary hot breakfast offered a nice variety of hot and cold items each day and the manager's reception offered M-Thursday nights was a nice way to end the day. We chose to use the Metro to get around DC and it was nice to have the complimentary shuttle to and from the station. A big bonus was the Budget Rental Car agency in the building for the short time we needed a car. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, whether traveling alone or with your family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!