“Great Value Just Outside DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Florence, United States
“Great Value Just Outside DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Found a gem just a few miles outside of DC. Location made for an easy commute to DC attractions. Hotel was quiet, very clean and a great value when compared to other area hotels. Check-in and Housekeeping staff were most attentive and pleasant with smiles all around. Will definitely book again next time we're headed to DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and personable. The room was very clean room and modern. We would stay there again. There was only one drawback - we did not go to the complimentary breakfast until the last hour before it was to shut down and it was over crowded, some of the tables and seats were dirty, and trash cans were overflowing. One of the two ladies seemed to be either overwhelmed or needed an attitude adjustment. Be sure to get to breakfast early enough, because when it came close to the ending time, the attendants did not waste anytime taking food away, even when a few people were still filling their drinks and in the mist of getting their breakfast. Only stayed overnight, but overall it was a pleasant and affordable stay. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I requested a room with two double beds and indicated that I would be arriving late. After driving for 12 hours from Atlanta for a college visit the hotel gave us a king with a sofa sleeper. They offer to downgrade me to their sister property a Comfort Inn which I refused or comp my first night and move us to a room with double beds the next night. When I got home and checked my credit card statement today I found that I was charged for both nights.

Room Tip: When making a reservation and arriving late at this hotel. Make sure to indicate in the notes or cal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin A, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Springfield, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment during your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all reservations but occasionally cannot meet every room request. However, we would like to apologize for the poor service you received in regards to your stay. If you would please contact me directly, I will be more than happy to rectify any billing concerns you may have. Thanks for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area again.

virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

When I turned the air conditioning on, it smelled like mold/mildew in the room. Also, it took forever to cool the room down. I can't imagine being in this room in the summer. Also, the food selection was great if you could beat the other guests to it. The one person keeping the items stocked could not keep up and you had to wait for 5 minutes or so until you finally got things (like Milk, cereal, bread - I'm talking the basics here).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our breakfast and HVAC unit. We've addressed the appropriate team members in regards to your review and we will be sure to take the steps to ensure that issues like these are corrected. Again, we apologize and we hope to see you return soon.

Lula, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Jason in group sales is awesome to work with! Love staying here with my student groups. Rooms are a little smaller because property is older, but they are normally clean and the fact that they are interior hallways when traveling with school groups is important! We use this property when traveling from Georgia to DC with groups. Easy to hit HOV lane and head into the city in the mornings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin A, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Springfield, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your last stay at the Hampton Inn Springfield. It was a great pleasure having you and your group stay with us back in April. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Thank you once again for staying with us here at the Hampton Inn Springfield.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I usually like to stay in Hampton Inns because they are clean and you get a good value for your money. This Hampton Inn is the worst Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at. I'm really surprised that Hilton hasn't done anything to improve this hotel.

The hotel has 7 floors and is a very large hotel. The weekend that I stayed there it must have been pretty full because almost all of the parking spaces were taken up. That being said, neither the elevators nor the breakfast room can accommodate that many guests. There are two VERY SMALL elevators that are extremely small (maybe 6 adults can pack into it). The elevators are located at the end of a small alcove. So when you get off of the elevator there is only one way to go-left. The first morning we were there we rode down with several women dressed very festively in beautiful dresses. When the elevator door opened in the lobby a housekeeper had her cleaning cart blocking the way out. She wouldn't move it. The women that were dressed so beautifully had to scoot between the cart and the small opening the housekeeper had left. I thought for sure that they would snag their dresses. I had a hard time because I was carrying a large purse and my laptop. I know that housekeeping has a job to do, but she should have had her cart a few feet from the door, so people could get out.

We were going to go into the breakfast room to eat. But the room was so crowded that people couldn't move about, much less get to the food. Every table was occupied and people were sitting around the lobby couches and chairs trying to balance their food on their laps. Food was spilled (eggs and cereal) all over the floor, nobody was there to clean it up and people kept walking through it. We ended up going out to eat breakfast. Which defeats the purpose of booking a hotel that has a free breakfast.

This hotel is pet friendly, which unfortunately, I didn't know before I booked it. If people are going to stay in a hotel with their pets, they have the responsibility of making sure that they are well-behaved. There was a family staying there that had some kind of hound dog which continually barked/howled while it's family was standing in the lobby early in the morning. The family should have taken the dog outside or the front desk people should have instructed them to do so. Everyone in our elevator heard the dog howling from when we got on on the 7th floor all the way down to the lobby and out the doors.

Now, to talk about the room. It was clean, but had a lot of furniture in it. It didn't have a closet area, instead it had an armoire with drawers, a short dresser with drawers, two night stands with drawers, a chest that had the fridge, microwave and tv (also with drawers), a desk and chair, a couch and of course the bed. Too much furniture for the space. I was impressed with the amount of outlets to plug stuff in. Many hotels don't have enough outlets.

The bed was comfortable and clean, but they use those "half pillows" that many hotels use. We chased our four tiny pillows around the king sized bed all night. I hate that! The bed had a duvet/comforter that must have weighed 200 pounds. It was so heavy, it was uncomfortable. We ended up pulling out the extra blanket that they have for the sleeper sofa.

The air conditioner/heater didn't work properly. The weekend we were there it was warm and we like to sleep in a cool room. We just couldn't get it to cool. The AC would shut off. And the fan wouldn't cool.

The bathroom was small. It was so small that the shower curtain touched your knees when the toilet was used. The curved shower curtain rod was installed upside down, so the nub to hold the curtain shut was on the bottom and the curtain wouldn't stay shut while I took a shower. My husband figured out a way to shove a part of the curtain into a little gap to make it stay shut. The toilet never flushed properly. The handle had to be held down for it to flush.

This hotel was not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, but it was the worst Hilton property I've stayed in. If I need to go to that area again, I will definitely look somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your stay. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. Again we apologize for the inconveniences and we've worked with our staff to make the necessary corrections. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here to get a mini weekend vaca to DC, and I did not want to stay in DC. Springfield is nice enough, but it is confusing to navigate even with GPS. The hotel was nice and I felt it was clean and comfortable. The only complaints I had was there was not a lock box in the room, there were no extra blankets or pillows in the room, and the hotel was loud from tons of teenage groups traveling to DC. It was nice that there was a Target right across the way. But it was closed, I was sick and in need of a Walgreens or CVS. We had to travel to the next town via 395 to find a CVS with GPS. Getting on 644 is confusing to try to find any restaurants. I have stayed at the Best Western and I really enjoyed it, but they do not accept pets so I kind of had no other choices but Hampton Inn. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't stay again because I do not like the location at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Springfield? Share your experiences!