“Decent older Hampton Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Springfield
Cincinnati, OH, USA
“Decent older Hampton Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I travel to Northern Virginia, I usually check the prices at this Hampton and then stay elsewhere because a room across the road can usually be found at a 30% discount. This time, the prices were within 10% of each other, so I booked the Hampton. This properly is an older building. It is in good shape, but my room was small and you won't forget you are in an updated older hotel. The single king room had the normal Hampton amenities, albeit in a compressed format. The bathroom was small and self-contained. If traveling with the family, we prefer a room with the sink outside the bath area. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. My room was at the end of a hall and there was no outside noise noted. The cable TV lineup was good, although I didn't get a chance to watch TV. There was a large flat-screen TV in the room.

The complimentary breakfast was good and there were a number of items from which to choose. The staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. I appreciate the fact that Hampton offers a downloadable version of USA Today, which seems less wasteful than the paper version. They also offer downloadable books and magazines, although many are restricted to their higher-level loyalty club members.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I would stay here again if the price per night is similar. However, if there is still a 30% price difference, I would stay across the street (see my other reviews) and use the fifty bucks saved to treat myself to Mike's American Grill. Frankly, there is not enough difference between the hotels to justify such a premium for this property.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side of the hotel facing away from l-95 if possible. The hotel is very clo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Double Oak Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great staff and nicely clean hotel. But room heat even when set to cold was way too hot. I had to run the system for several hours on fan to cool it down enough to sleep. But it was workable to only a minor inconvience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Provo, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hotel management did not adjust service staff to serve full hotel for 2013 Inauguration. Only one person, for example, was working the breakfast room. It was not clear from the review that the exercise room required one to leave the hotel to go to a room in the back of the hotel approximately 20 yards away. The front desk staff did not have consistent information on how the many guests in the hotel could access METRO on the morning of Inauguration, when the shuttle would run, etc. This despite the fact that the hotel was charging a premium rate for rooms for this reason during this period.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kevin A, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Springfield, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service during this high traffic period. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. I again, apologize for the poor level of service and we hope to have another chance to provide a great stay for you in the future.

Kevin Alfaro
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very pleased with excellent customer service. The hotel is convenient to National Airport, Metro rail and Washington, D.C. but the "Mixing Bowl" intersection of highway interchanges makes it a little tricky to find if you're driving. It's nothing special but a bargain rate relative to other hotels in close proximity to DC. As another reviewer mentioned, there isn't much of a barrier between rooms. I was kept up until well past midnight due to conversation in an adjoining room. Fan in the room is loud even on low.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San jose Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during Inauguration week. My check in was very easy. My room was ready when I arrived. The hotel shuttle takes you to the Metro and local restaurants on demand. In fact for the inauguration, the started the shuttle at 4:15 am, with a breakfast that began at 4:00 am. Breakfast was wonderful. I especially enjoyed making fresh waffles. There was a variety of food choices. The bed was comfortable.
Con-the room was not vacuumed daily. Housekeeping sprayed freshener to make it appear room was thoroughly cleaned. I think the heating/air needs to be checked and calibrated. It got very hot in the mid-high 60's. I had to turn on cooling to sleep comfortably in the low 60's.

Room Tip: Be specific. If you need a soft mattress or accessibility access ask.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here forfor inauguration weekend. From the 1st day to the 4th day we we're treated with 1st class service, hats off to the management team. I give customer service, house keeping & the shuttle service a 10, and definitely the breakfast a 10. Even though the hotel was booked full, the hostess keep the breakfast fully stocked. When we go back to DC we will book this hotel again. Easy access to and from Reagan Airport on the Metro train.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Pros: the room was spacious, clean and well furnished; bedding was good; check-in and check-out procedure was quick and friendly. Price was also atrractive.

Cons: the air conditioning / heating unit in the room was very noisy, gave us the impression of being in an airliner. The quality of breakfast food was barely sufficient (although it must be said that we have an Italian taste...)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I do hope that the next time you are in the area you will consider staying at our property again. Thank you.

Kevin Alfaro
Hampton Inn Springfield

Been to Hampton Inn Springfield? Share your experiences!