“Buyer beware...Stay if you dare...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Skippers/Emporia Area

Knights Inn Skippers/Emporia Area
You added Knights Inn Skippers/Emporia Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Skippers/Emporia Area
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1200 Moore Ferry Road, I-95 South and SR 629, Skippers, VA 23879-9704 (Formerly American Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skippers
Ocala, FL
“Buyer beware...Stay if you dare...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Traveling with pets, there weren't a lot of options in this area, and we booked this property with hopes of it being ok...NOT!! Even my dogs didn't want to be there! The property itself is nothing to look at. The rooms were disgusting. Bulbs were out over the vanity, towel racks falling out of the walls. The phone was so dirty, I wouldn't even pick it up before disinfecting it. The bedding was grimy feeling, and the towels and washclothes were stained...In the bathroom there was an old stained shower curtain covering the mildewed shower wall - nice suprise when I pulled that across. Our room also had mold growing up the bathroom walls, about 18 inches in height. I have photos!! We pulled the bathroom door shut when we weren't in there so that we weren't breathing any of that. My parents shared another room at the same location, and their room wasn't much better. This property advertises free internet connection - neither of our rooms could connect. I went to the front desk and asked about it, and was met with blank stares, and was asked what rooms we were in. When I told her, she said both of those rooms should be able to connect. (What does that mean...??? Some rooms can't connect??? Really???) I told her again that we could not. Again, she simply stated that I should be able to. No help there. We were traveling with a moving truck/car in tow, plus another vehicle and pets. Would have been nice to be able to stay in contact with friends and family to let them know we were ok. Again, didn't want to touch the phone. When I complained about the mold, they just looked at me like I had antennas. Really - the dirtiest, most disgusting place I've ever been. At checkout, I complained again about the mold and dirt, and asked for a refund (their handwritten "NO REFUNDS" policy strategically placed where you check in being right in front of me). She stared at me blankly and said she would give me $5 or $10 off ...???? Wow, how wonderful of them to offer. This property is not fit, or healthy to stay in, and needs to be condemmed. Truly, we wish we had read the reviews before going there - we would've chosen to drive another 100 miles if necessary to find a suitable place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

The Villages, Fl.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Filthy.Towel racks hanging off walls, one light bulb working out of three over the vanity. Desk phone had 35 years' worth of dust and grime on it. Remote to TV didn't work and the TV picture was "red". No Wi-Fi even though we were told we had it in our rooms (traveled with daughter and fiance and their dogs). This dump wasn't fit for those dogs, let alone humans. Choice Hotels needs to remove this hovel from it's list of motels in the area. We only chose it because of the dogs. The staff (owner/manager) and his wife seemed uncaring and uninterested in our complaints. Daughter's room had a large area of mold on the bathroom wall....very unsafe and this place should be condemned by the Health Department. Do yourself a favor and choose some other place to spend the night. This is a large motel and there were only a few people spending the night here...hmmmmmmm???? And, oh, if you are looking for a decent breakfast you'll have to go next door to McDonald's. The coffee pot was a 12-cup Mr. Coffee, if that tells you anything!! I guess they weren't expecting many for breakfast!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Skippers hotels

Charleston, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I had booked two rooms. In my room the air conditioning was clanking loudly & worked minimally, the phone to call the front desk did not work, and many of the electrical outlets didn't work. Bedside table was sticky. All this was minor compared to my friend's room. He killed four live, large cockroaches while he tried to contact the front desk. We were afraid to check for bedbugs. When he finally reached the front desk (on his cellphone-- his room phone didn't work), he asked to be moved to another room after he stated his complaint. He was told this was not possible and was informed that the rooms were sprayed for insects every day (what a consoling piece of information). This is a very large facility with never more than a handful of guests (I wonder why, ha ha!), so there were plenty of available rooms. We then decided to leave. When I approached the front desk and said we were leaving due to the cockroaches in the room, the owner tried to say that he would have moved my friend but there were no "non smoking" rooms left-- also hard to believe, in view of the many rooms at this location and the small number of guests present at the time. I asked for a refund and was met by blank stares. I then informed the owner and his wife that I would file a Visa dispute and they would not be paid. They still stared at me blankly. Another guest had been checking in and heard my complaint. For his sake, I hope he didn't stay.
A final note: today I received a letter from this motel's "management team" apologizing for any inconvenience and offering me 25% discount the next time I stay with them! Yeah, right...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

As a retired manager of Choice Hotels, I was completely horrified by this Econo Lodge. Choice needs to eliminate this hotel from their system.

I had booked an employee rate at this "place" so that I could meet a friend halfway between my house and his. When I checked in the desk clerk (who said his brother owned the hotel) was friendly enough but I had to tell him what the charge was and how to do an employee rate.

I went to my room which was horrible. It was dirty!!!!!. Only one lamp in the room worked, tv didn't work. There was a micro/fridge in the room and when I opened then both, they were filthy. Bathroom was just as bad.

I went to the desk and asked for a room change as I didn't want to sit in the original room until my friend got there. The next room was a little better but not by much. We decided to stay for the one night, big mistake!!! After midnight, there were all kinds of cars, trucks and people outside. I had to keep looking out the window to check on our vehicles.

I will never stay at this place again. Cheap rate or not, it is not worth it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Hotel should be torn down and rebuilt
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2004

We reached there late in the night. rooms are above average and amenities are decent. for the price it is a good value.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2004

One of the worst I have ever stayed at.After stopping at 3 exits this was the only place available and I was falling asleep at the wheel. If I had known better ( and it wasn't 35 deg outside) I would have slept in my truck.Got sick with diaherra the next day after I had a cup of water. Box spring for mattress, sticky floors, gangs out front, no towels or shower curtain, burn marks on sink ( drug use?). My wife had to keep watch on our truck out the window. Only stayed 4 hrs.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2003

I want you to know that it is doubtful if I will ever again stay at an Econo Lodge. A few weeks ago I stayed at an Econo Lodge in Skippers, VA, just over the line from North Carolina, and if I hadn't been by myself far away from home, I would have asked for my money back and taken my chances elsewhere. I made a list of what I found there:1 The windows hadn't been washed for a long time. 2. When I set something on the table, the top fell off. (It was not attached in any way to the base.) 3. The "white"towels came in various shades. 4. One lamp didn't work. 5. The bed had metal lumps. 6. The sheet had creases where there shouldn't have been creases. (Look as if it hadn't been changed.) 7. The water tasted very odd. 8. There was very little water pressure to flush the toilet. 9. I'd gone to my car to get sheets so I could sleep on top of the bed because of the looks of the motel sheets. Even sleeping on top of the bed, whatever was inside that old mattress came out and made me itch!Beware!

Been to Knights Inn Skippers/Emporia Area? Share your experiences!