“Best place I've ever stayed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Meadows Vineyard Inn

You added High Meadows Vineyard Inn to your Saves list
High Meadows Vineyard Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   55 High Meadows Lane, Scottsville, VA 24590   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Scottsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Ashburn, VA , United States
“Best place I've ever stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

NOT JUST A BED & BREAKFAST!

High Meadows really took me by surprise. I could tell by the
pictures on the website that it was lovely, but it really exceeded
all my expectations. The house is not your ordinary B&B, but
Instead a home that welcomes you for a visit! The owners (Nancy
and Cynthia) are extremely friendly and helpful and are always
up for a good chat if you are. It’s a relaxed atmosphere and yet
offers everything you could possibly want in a B&B.

Sometimes I actually don’t always like staying at a B&B, as I feel
set up to have to talk with others, but at High Meadows
I found myself wishing I could stay an extra day or two—you are
not forced to “have to “ talk with people, yet you find yourself doing
So—and liking it!

The house is decorated wonderfully and with a slight sense of whimsy – very colorful and full of many books,magazines and more to read and look at. A great mixture of music playing
in the family room, a fire roaring in the dining room and an occasional
child stopping in to make their mom a cup of tea (just enough to make you
really miss any you may have left back at home!). It was great.

This is NOT your grandmother’s Victorian B&B …it’s what a real getaway is all
about. Waking up with the rooster, chickens and a peacock (who thinks he’s
quite hot) while watching a deer and cat hang out with all? Harmony and
Peace!

I am a frequent visitor of Bed and Breakfasts....and whoever wrote that they were upset for being charged for taking the shampoos and lotions? Well, these where not "little opened put in your purse take homes" - they were "large, opened stay in its place and use it if you would like to" shampoos and lotions. I would have charged you too!

Anyone unhappy with High Meadows must be nuts or entirely too privileged..This place is a treasure – and I was there on a rainy and cold weekend! All was clearly explained to me (and as a side note, I had to cancel a previous visit due to a bad back -- they were very sympathetic that I would miss my getaway. Just call back they said. I rescheduled a week later, no biggie!).

There is plenty to do nearby -- more and more restaurants are moving in --Monticello is close, as well as wineries and shops in Charlottesville. Though I could hang out and watch the grass grow here.

The breakfasts were really good and the presentation was chef worthy--
I’ve taught cooking for over 12 years and know.

All in all five out of five stars…and as Arnold said “I’ll be back”

Room Tip: Loved the Daffodil room....very cheery and sunny. The Robin's Nest was also really lovely.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Horrible business practices is an understatement! These people are down right frauds and lack any sort of "customer service"! Charges to my cc 3 months after I paid for the room, and for shampoo! Now I have traveled the world and have always used and taken the amenities/toiletries in the room, this is the 1st time I have ever been charged for them. Nice place but delusional owners. If you want to go to Scottsvile/Charlottesville your better off somewhere else for sure!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Vineyard Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
A note about our personal amenities:
As a Virginia Green Lodging partner, we provide in guest rooms a line of personal care products that are petroleum free, animal friendly, and free of preservatives. One of the issues Green Lodging partners try to alleviate is excessive use of plastics, therefore rooms are stocked with
regular - not travel or individual sized - sized amenities that are refilled for each guest. When a guest inadvertently packs one of our bottles, we give a courtesy call...the guest may either choose to return the item, or we will happily sell the product to them! (It is lovely, and many guests DO purchase it) In any case, if within several months, the item has not been returned as promised, then the charge is made to the guest as we assume they changed their mind and decided to keep the product.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Loved our stay, getting out of the city and into the country. Very relaxing, delicious food, elegant touches, and Nancy was great.

Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Pretty place, VERY clean, VERY comfortable bed, nice breakfast. But there was a feeling of 'bean counting,' I guess I would say. And eccentricity. It also did not help that some other guests were arguing into the night (it was very weird) so maybe that colors my impression, too.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The rooms are fantastic, we loved the location. It is in the country, a nice twenty minute drive to Charlottesville. Nancy was the greatest, helpful and very interesting. The town of Scottsville is just a mile down the road and has a few restaurants if you don't want to drive into Charlottesville. If your looking for fast paced action, you might want to go elsewhere. If you like to relax and enjoy the simple things, this is the place. There are great wineries within a half hours drive. The dining experience was also excellent. Weather permitting you can eat outside and the inside dining atmosphere was great also. The food outstanding. If you go, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the six rooms, we saw them all.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We did the vineyard tours, included with our booking (Groupon special). This gets you free/discounted wine tastings at the local wineries, and some discounts if you purchase any wine. We got a packed lunch to take with us, which was very yummy and filling. They packed a bottle of water as well to keep us hydrated during the tastings. First Colony was our favorite winery, and is close to the Inn. They try to use local produce with their meals, and it is very flavorful. One breakfast we had lavender/lemon crepes. The next morning we had eggs benedict. They also arranged tickets for us to go to Monticello during our stay, which is a must if you're in the area. A tasting at Jefferson Vineyards is also nice.

Our stay: We stayed in the Robin's Nest room. It's on the top floor of the main house. Charming decor. We struggled somewhat as it was in the upper 90s during our stay, and the AC was not able to keep up. May be better to go in the Spring/Fall and be more comfortable. They do have free WiFI, but we only had access in the main living area, not in our room. Also FYI, no cell service if you have AT&T. They will let you use their phone though. The service is what you would expect from an Inn, but not as much Southern charm as I would have expected.

Location: We would have preferred to be closer to Charlottesville; this place is located 30-40min South of the downtown area.

Best Thing: Didn't need to plan our time during our stay, as many things were included.

Least Favorite Thing: Location. We love Charlottesville, and would have liked to be closer.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed here from Sunday to Tuesday via a Groupon Deal. The groupon included free wine tastings and a picnic lunch. We also had fabulous breakfasts cooked by our hostess on both days. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. So relaxing, like a spa/farm and wine setting all wrapped up in one. And close to Charlottesville if you want to drive to town for a fun dinner out, etc.

Room Tip: Wireless internet is on the first floor only but i didn't even want to check my email!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to High Meadows Vineyard Inn? Share your experiences!