“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Meadows Vineyard Inn

Save Saved
You added High Meadows Vineyard Inn to your Saves list
High Meadows Vineyard Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   55 High Meadows Lane, Scottsville, VA 24590   |
Special Offer
2-Night Summer Adventures
Ranked #2 of 2 Scottsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
ky
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The rooms are fantastic, we loved the location. It is in the country, a nice twenty minute drive to Charlottesville. Nancy was the greatest, helpful and very interesting. The town of Scottsville is just a mile down the road and has a few restaurants if you don't want to drive into Charlottesville. If your looking for fast paced action, you might want to go elsewhere. If you like to relax and enjoy the simple things, this is the place. There are great wineries within a half hours drive. The dining experience was also excellent. Weather permitting you can eat outside and the inside dining atmosphere was great also. The food outstanding. If you go, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the six rooms, we saw them all.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We did the vineyard tours, included with our booking (Groupon special). This gets you free/discounted wine tastings at the local wineries, and some discounts if you purchase any wine. We got a packed lunch to take with us, which was very yummy and filling. They packed a bottle of water as well to keep us hydrated during the tastings. First Colony was our favorite winery, and is close to the Inn. They try to use local produce with their meals, and it is very flavorful. One breakfast we had lavender/lemon crepes. The next morning we had eggs benedict. They also arranged tickets for us to go to Monticello during our stay, which is a must if you're in the area. A tasting at Jefferson Vineyards is also nice.

Our stay: We stayed in the Robin's Nest room. It's on the top floor of the main house. Charming decor. We struggled somewhat as it was in the upper 90s during our stay, and the AC was not able to keep up. May be better to go in the Spring/Fall and be more comfortable. They do have free WiFI, but we only had access in the main living area, not in our room. Also FYI, no cell service if you have AT&T. They will let you use their phone though. The service is what you would expect from an Inn, but not as much Southern charm as I would have expected.

Location: We would have preferred to be closer to Charlottesville; this place is located 30-40min South of the downtown area.

Best Thing: Didn't need to plan our time during our stay, as many things were included.

Least Favorite Thing: Location. We love Charlottesville, and would have liked to be closer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed here from Sunday to Tuesday via a Groupon Deal. The groupon included free wine tastings and a picnic lunch. We also had fabulous breakfasts cooked by our hostess on both days. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. So relaxing, like a spa/farm and wine setting all wrapped up in one. And close to Charlottesville if you want to drive to town for a fun dinner out, etc.

Room Tip: Wireless internet is on the first floor only but i didn't even want to check my email!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My wife and I took advantage of the terrific $200 package and really enjoyed our stay at this gem of a B&B Inn. Our room was beautifully appointed and, no less important to us, absolutely spotless. The breakfast included in the price was also a highlight. We were initially drawn to the place by all of the positive reviews we've seen online and were not disappointed. There is one negative review about an unexpected "tax" charge and now having stayed there ourselves, my wife and I would respectfully disagree. We looked at the terms of the offer in advance, and saw nothing about "taxes included," and so we were not at all surprised when a $20 charge for taxes showed up on our credit card statement. The previous reviewer apparently assumed that taxes were included in the price quoted, and when their ASSUMPTION turned out to be false, they accused the Innkeeper of being "unscrupulous." In my experience, when taxes are included in a promotion (which they generally are not), it will say, "taxes included" or "inclusive of taxes." Where it doesn't say that, and a $20 tax charge is assessed, I think accusing the Innkeeper of being unscrupulous is not fair or reasonable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I purchased one of their summer specials--2 nts for $200. First they tried to tell me holidays were excluded and then they didn't return my calls after I sent them the original e-mail which did not exclude holidays. Finally got the reservation and stayed there. When I returned there was a $20 charge on my credit card. I called and was told that was for taxes. Their special didn't add a caveat about taxes, nor were we advised of the additional charge when we booked or left. I called and was told that everyone has to pay a tax. Not that I minded paying tax, but a special should make the consumer aware of additional charges. This is just poor business practices. We will never stay there again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We visit friends in the area a couple of times a year. We used to stay at the Omni in Charlottesville, which is nice, but now prefer to stay at High Meadows. We stayed in the Cottage Suite again this time and it was very relaxing sitting on the private deck. The bed was very comfortable. The day-lilies were in bloom and we enjoyed strolling around the grounds. It was fun to watch the big white duck walking around with the rooster.
The little town of Scottsville is growing. We liked the new restaurants. High Meadows is a short drive to Charlottesville so we had plenty to do.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

When we called to see IF we could cancel our reservation, I was told by daughter of the mother/daughter innkeeper team, that canceling WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. She stated there was an illness in the family and that it would be terribly inconvenient to entertain guests for our scheduled weekend of June 10 and 11th. SHE WAS VERY RELIEVED! She stated, “please don't worry at all. You will not be charged!” A week later we noticed a charge on our card and I tried unsuccessfully for 2 days to reach the innkeepers by phone and by email. It wasn't until I used my husband's cell phone (which would have appeared as a different caller ID) that I finally got someone to answer my call. I spoke to the mother and she stated that we had not canceled 10 days prior to our stay, therefore we would be responsible for paying our deposit. After courteously explaining to the mother the conversation I had with the daughter, I realized that the mother was no longer on the other line. She had rudely hung up the phone on me!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
highmeadows, Owner at High Meadows Vineyard Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
1) There was a family emergency. HOWEVER,
2) Guests are a delight - never an inconvenience!!
3) Our refund policy is quite clear: 50% deposit, or one night's stay, is taken at the time of reservation, and refundable if the cancellation is more than 10 days from the arrival date. After that time, the guest is responsible for the cost of their stay, if we can not rebook the room.
4) This guests deposit had been made weeks in advance - and though she might not have received her statement until the 14th of June (a couple of days after her reservation dates), the charge had been made and authorized several weeks prior on May 18th.
5) When she cancelled 2 days before her arrival because she had found accommodations closer to the event she was attending, I assured her that her card would not be charged...for the balance of her stay (which was multiple days). We were fully booked that weekend, and hers was the only room left unoccupied - if she got the impression we were relieved, it was most probably because I was trying to be as gracious as possible, in assuring her that I would no charge her for her full night's stay. And indeed, we did not! We also graciously offered to allow her to use her deposit toward another stay with us in the future - rather than simply forfeit it. We also offered a certificate that she could give to someone as a gift, if she could not use it.

We do understand that 'life happens' - which is why we can often offer a guest the ability to use their deposit toward a later stay. However, we are a small property - we can not 'hold' a room, hence the deposit refund policy. This guest always has the opportunity to dispute the charge with her credit card company - and if it is found that our policies are 'unscrupulous' (though clearly posted and agreed to in writing by our reservation confirmation system so there can be no misunderstanding with future guests) then the credit card company will refund her deposit.

Finally, we are a busy inn, with a small staff of 2. If a call was missed, it was unintentional, or we were on another line. Of the dozens of calls we take in any given day, there is virtually no way, and no time or desire - to avoid a particular caller by checking the caller id for each and every phone call! No one hung up - there was simply a quiet, patient listening to this guest as she spent several minutes making her point...my mother did not interrupt, except to explain that she was on a cell phone...after several minutes, the call was lost - but not because a guest had been hung up on! All apologies if that is how it appeared. but that is certainly not the case.

High Meadows Vineyard Inn

Been to High Meadows Vineyard Inn? Share your experiences!