When we called to see IF we could cancel our reservation, I was told by daughter of the mother/daughter innkeeper team, that canceling WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. She stated there was an illness in the family and that it would be terribly inconvenient to entertain guests for our scheduled weekend of June 10 and 11th. SHE WAS VERY RELIEVED! She stated, “please don't worry at all. You will not be charged!” A week later we noticed a charge on our card and I tried unsuccessfully for 2 days to reach the innkeepers by phone and by email. It wasn't until I used my husband's cell phone (which would have appeared as a different caller ID) that I finally got someone to answer my call. I spoke to the mother and she stated that we had not canceled 10 days prior to our stay, therefore we would be responsible for paying our deposit. After courteously explaining to the mother the conversation I had with the daughter, I realized that the mother was no longer on the other line. She had rudely hung up the phone on me!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
July 3, 2011
1) There was a family emergency. HOWEVER,
Report response as inappropriate
2) Guests are a delight - never an inconvenience!!
3) Our refund policy is quite clear: 50% deposit, or one night's stay, is taken at the time of reservation, and refundable if the cancellation is more than 10 days from the arrival date. After that time, the guest is responsible for the cost of their stay, if we can not rebook the room.
4) This guests deposit had been made weeks in advance - and though she might not have received her statement until the 14th of June (a couple of days after her reservation dates), the charge had been made and authorized several weeks prior on May 18th.
5) When she cancelled 2 days before her arrival because she had found accommodations closer to the event she was attending, I assured her that her card would not be charged...for the balance of her stay (which was multiple days). We were fully booked that weekend, and hers was the only room left unoccupied - if she got the impression we were relieved, it was most probably because I was trying to be as gracious as possible, in assuring her that I would no charge her for her full night's stay. And indeed, we did not! We also graciously offered to allow her to use her deposit toward another stay with us in the future - rather than simply forfeit it. We also offered a certificate that she could give to someone as a gift, if she could not use it.
We do understand that 'life happens' - which is why we can often offer a guest the ability to use their deposit toward a later stay. However, we are a small property - we can not 'hold' a room, hence the deposit refund policy. This guest always has the opportunity to dispute the charge with her credit card company - and if it is found that our policies are 'unscrupulous' (though clearly posted and agreed to in writing by our reservation confirmation system so there can be no misunderstanding with future guests) then the credit card company will refund her deposit.
Finally, we are a busy inn, with a small staff of 2. If a call was missed, it was unintentional, or we were on another line. Of the dozens of calls we take in any given day, there is virtually no way, and no time or desire - to avoid a particular caller by checking the caller id for each and every phone call! No one hung up - there was simply a quiet, patient listening to this guest as she spent several minutes making her point...my mother did not interrupt, except to explain that she was on a cell phone...after several minutes, the call was lost - but not because a guest had been hung up on! All apologies if that is how it appeared. but that is certainly not the case.
High Meadows Vineyard Inn
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.