“BED BUGS!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Sandston B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“BED BUGS!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stay there 8/4/12.They have Bed Bugs!! I did not notice until 8:30am. Call front desk. She said she would send the maintenance man, he arrives in 15mins. Ok, It takes about 30mins. I called front desk back, he had just arrive, He would be in there. Anyway, maintenance guy comes. I show him the bug. He argues with me that, its not a BED BUG. He said, its a Flea. Lol. Like I'm stupid. Fleas jump. Bed bugs crawl and it was full of blood. Terrible. The maintenance man told me "I would never stay here." He totally talked bad about the hotel. No refund!! They don't give damn. More bumps have showed up since I left. I would never stay there again! Will call BBB and Channel 12 on your side!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Morganton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a very old motel but is well maintained. There are some issues that are being addressed by the staff. I have stayed at this Red Roof Inn many times. They are pet/ people friendly and have always treated me very well. Current management and daytime front desk help leaves a lot to be desired but if you are lucky enough to interact with the long time employees (Tequoria and Jermaine), you will be treated very well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Burke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We only stayed here because the friends we were staying with lost power (along with most of the city) and we couldn't take the heat. This was the first place that finally had rooms available and only smoking ones at that. Let me just list the things that were wrong in the order we came across them:
no door knobs on the closet (really?!)
serious smell of smoke (this wasn't a huge shock but still annoying especially with bronchitis)
no toilet paper
stained/unclean sheets
hole in the comforter
no labels on the phone (front desk, etc.,)
stained tub
had to go get replacement sheets etc. ourselves from the front desk and make our own bed
NOT WORKING TOILET (To make it fully flush we had to fill the tank and bowl with more water from a bucket the maintenance guy gave us!)
stains all over the walls and furniture
2 vacant rooms that were very suspicious: This was the strangest part and ended bringing maintenance guys up because a neighbor was freaking out about bed bugs (we don't think they had those). There were two rooms near us that looks totally trashed and vacant, one even had it's door completely open.
Also, I saw another room that was empty but made-up after being told that we had gotten the last two rooms.
Finally, our friends had another room, also smoking, that was much nicer, for one thing the toilet worked!

Room Tip: Don't get smoking! Supposedly the non-smoking are nicer, I don't know.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Union City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I got room at this hotel via Hotwire, so I was locked in after purchase. I read the prior reviews here about dirty rooms, rude staff, bed bugs, etc and got nervous, but saw that the hotel manager was responding directly to complaints, so I had some hope. I deliberately asked for one of the refurbished rooms upon check-in, having read some frightening reviews of the older rooms. The refurbished room wasn't too bad. It had fairly new paint, but marks on the wall from luggage, people rotating the TV, etc. The door could only be opened by pulling the handle up (not down), but was told by the front desk that the room would eventually be getting a new lock/handle.The carpet didn't look new, but appeared quite clean. The lighting fixtures and furniture looked new, as did the a/c unit. The bathroom sink, counter, and mirror also looked new. The closet had new doors, but one of the handles came off when pulled to open the door. Luckily the other handle was still secure. The closet only had one hangar, so I asked the front desk for more. They only had one spare, so I was able to make do with two hangars. The toilet/shower area was old and worn looking, but clean. The curved shower curtain rod looked new, but it was loose and drooping. I asked for a spare towel, but the front desk didn't have any, so I'd have to wait 'til the next morning for housekeeping to show up (I never bothered to get the extra towel). The bed sheets and bed spread looked clean and fairly new. I did a bed bug check of the mattress (I saw it demonstrated on YouTube) and found nothing suspicious. The mattress & box spring looked new and clean. The free wireless internet had a good signal and decent speed.

Overall I'd say this hotel is ok, if you get a refurbished room. I think the refurbishments could have gone further, to include an all new tub/shower area but it was adequate. The staff during my stay were kind and courteous and the gentlemen who checked me in did what he could to ensure a good stay.

P.S. The price I paid on Hotwire.com was only $3 less than redroof.com's regular rate, so Hotwire was not a good deal. In fact I could have saved even more money booking on Red Roof's website with a promo code and avoided Hotwire's booking fees.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room upon check-in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

By far the worst hotel, couldnt even get a DND sign delivered. Desk Agent told me to write one and hang on my door. Staff was inprofessional and had no idea of the hospitality industry. Agent at desk had on flip flops. Rooms where old dirty and smelled, this is worse than Motel 6 in the worst...nothing worked, I took pictures to back my allegations....WONT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN..People are using this as an extended stay motel, guest cursing at kids, out late drinking & hanging out, Staff was dressed in street clothes

Room Tip: no good room dont stay here...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

As a Redicard member since 2009 and a frequenter of Red Roof Inns well before this..Red roof Inn should close down this privately owned Red Roof in from their list or allowing their logo to be used. Deplorable does not even begin to describe this Red Roof inn. I do not even know where to begin. We walked into the room and the box springs had mold on them, yes MOLD and it gets worse from there. There was a smell of urine emanating from the stairwells and beer bottle askew on the perimeter of the place. The rooms on either side were trashed beyond belief. How do I know...the occupants had their doors open. I think they had been living there for weeks and the garbage had no where to go but up and out. Almost in tears, having driven almost 7 hours I kindly asked for another room.... they told me the cleaning service would not have another room for another hour and a half. Top that off with the air-conditioner not working, the TV only getting one channel and not clearly and the carpet ripped from the wall...I asked if they could find me another room closer to our destination. I was handed a book and more or less told I was on my own. I am happy to say that the women I spoke to at the Hampton Va location could not have been more wonderful and kind and I wish I asked her name because I would love to give her a shout out. An hour later, we were in a room we loved with service and cleanliness we have always known at Red roof Inn. The next day, I met the woman who had made sure we had a room and she gave be a big hug apologizing for something that was so far from her fault. I told her she was my Angel LOL This was a corporate Red Roof Inn...I am wondering if there is a difference with those that are franchised out. like the one in Stanton. The health department needs to close this one in Stanton down. I am not saying this with humor but have facts to back it up. I am so sorry I did not take pictures of the room we were given as well as the ones on our floor..beyond disgusting....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tequoria W, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
I also value you patronizing our brand of hotel. I do offer my sincerest apologies for the conditions you dealt with. We are in the process of renovating so yes we are a work in process. I truly value your opinion and it is unfortunate you had to express your concerns in this manner. Our guests should expect no less than a welcoming hospitality team ready to serve their lodging needs. In the next few months, the hotel will be improving its bedding. i welcome you to experience one of our new rooms in the very near future. That still does not make it right that our housekeeping and maintenance staff overlooked a problem like this. I do apologize again for the exterior not being satisfactory too. The staff here very well knows that the outside needs to be cleaned too. It really concerns me that the front desk did not find it important to rectify the situation for you. Regardless of what was going on it should have been their priority to have a room cleaned. There is absolutely no need for bad service.....After all we are in the business to serve guests. Once again I have spoken to my staff and informed them that the complaints like this will not continue to be tolerated. Now I dont know what the agents problem was but AGAIN as I will always say our goal is to strive for SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Either way you look at it she was rude and it will not be tolerated. It really bothers me that we lost a valued customer. However, I am relieved that you were able to find lodging that was suitable. I wish your pleasant experience was at our location but I am glad you tried our partner red Roof Inn. It is our hopes that you will give us the opprtunity to serve you better in the near future.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The desk staff and shuttle driver couldn't have been nicer at this airport adjacent Red Roof. But, I have stayed at RR's all over the country and this one is so far below par it is not to be believed. The walkways are filthy, the door of my room was rusted and bent where someone had apparently tried to kick it in. The room, especially the carpet, was filthy with muddy dog prints (I think) all over the room. I did not take my socks off the whole time. The maid came in and made up the bed. Period. Food containers and coffee cups were left where they were lying. The sink still has coffee drips in it .. she/he hadn't touched it. I actually love the RR chain for low cost, basic rooms but this place is simply dreadful. Avoid it. There's a Microtel a short distance away that looks new. I'd try that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tequoria W, Manager at Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for the nice compliments about our staff. We strive to give superior customer service. However, I do apologize for the poor service given to you and your room from housekeeping as well as the maintenance staff. What you experience is not acceptable. We are in the process of being renovated. There are some major changes happening to the property. The staff has been notified of the issues and it’s our priority to prevent these issues from happening to another guest. I really appreciate you patronizing the Red Roof chain of hotels for so many years. Without guest like you we can’t correct mistakes and we than you for that. I would really like to be given the opportunity to serve you better in the future. The next time you’re in the area please feel free to contact me. I’m Tequoria( Front Office manager) and it would be my pleasure to have you back.

Been to Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!