“Refurbished room stay, not too bad” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport
1.5 of 5 Inn   |   5209 Williamsburg Rd, Sandston, VA 23150   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Sandston B&B and Inns
Union City, New Jersey
“Refurbished room stay, not too bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I got room at this hotel via Hotwire, so I was locked in after purchase. I read the prior reviews here about dirty rooms, rude staff, bed bugs, etc and got nervous, but saw that the hotel manager was responding directly to complaints, so I had some hope. I deliberately asked for one of the refurbished rooms upon check-in, having read some frightening reviews of the older rooms. The refurbished room wasn't too bad. It had fairly new paint, but marks on the wall from luggage, people rotating the TV, etc. The door could only be opened by pulling the handle up (not down), but was told by the front desk that the room would eventually be getting a new lock/handle.The carpet didn't look new, but appeared quite clean. The lighting fixtures and furniture looked new, as did the a/c unit. The bathroom sink, counter, and mirror also looked new. The closet had new doors, but one of the handles came off when pulled to open the door. Luckily the other handle was still secure. The closet only had one hangar, so I asked the front desk for more. They only had one spare, so I was able to make do with two hangars. The toilet/shower area was old and worn looking, but clean. The curved shower curtain rod looked new, but it was loose and drooping. I asked for a spare towel, but the front desk didn't have any, so I'd have to wait 'til the next morning for housekeeping to show up (I never bothered to get the extra towel). The bed sheets and bed spread looked clean and fairly new. I did a bed bug check of the mattress (I saw it demonstrated on YouTube) and found nothing suspicious. The mattress & box spring looked new and clean. The free wireless internet had a good signal and decent speed.

Overall I'd say this hotel is ok, if you get a refurbished room. I think the refurbishments could have gone further, to include an all new tub/shower area but it was adequate. The staff during my stay were kind and courteous and the gentlemen who checked me in did what he could to ensure a good stay.

P.S. The price I paid on Hotwire.com was only $3 less than redroof.com's regular rate, so Hotwire was not a good deal. In fact I could have saved even more money booking on Red Roof's website with a promo code and avoided Hotwire's booking fees.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room upon check-in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

By far the worst hotel, couldnt even get a DND sign delivered. Desk Agent told me to write one and hang on my door. Staff was inprofessional and had no idea of the hospitality industry. Agent at desk had on flip flops. Rooms where old dirty and smelled, this is worse than Motel 6 in the worst...nothing worked, I took pictures to back my allegations....WONT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN..People are using this as an extended stay motel, guest cursing at kids, out late drinking & hanging out, Staff was dressed in street clothes

Room Tip: no good room dont stay here...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

As a Redicard member since 2009 and a frequenter of Red Roof Inns well before this..Red roof Inn should close down this privately owned Red Roof in from their list or allowing their logo to be used. Deplorable does not even begin to describe this Red Roof inn. I do not even know where to begin. We walked into the room and the box springs had mold on them, yes MOLD and it gets worse from there. There was a smell of urine emanating from the stairwells and beer bottle askew on the perimeter of the place. The rooms on either side were trashed beyond belief. How do I know...the occupants had their doors open. I think they had been living there for weeks and the garbage had no where to go but up and out. Almost in tears, having driven almost 7 hours I kindly asked for another room.... they told me the cleaning service would not have another room for another hour and a half. Top that off with the air-conditioner not working, the TV only getting one channel and not clearly and the carpet ripped from the wall...I asked if they could find me another room closer to our destination. I was handed a book and more or less told I was on my own. I am happy to say that the women I spoke to at the Hampton Va location could not have been more wonderful and kind and I wish I asked her name because I would love to give her a shout out. An hour later, we were in a room we loved with service and cleanliness we have always known at Red roof Inn. The next day, I met the woman who had made sure we had a room and she gave be a big hug apologizing for something that was so far from her fault. I told her she was my Angel LOL This was a corporate Red Roof Inn...I am wondering if there is a difference with those that are franchised out. like the one in Stanton. The health department needs to close this one in Stanton down. I am not saying this with humor but have facts to back it up. I am so sorry I did not take pictures of the room we were given as well as the ones on our floor..beyond disgusting....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tequoria W, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
I also value you patronizing our brand of hotel. I do offer my sincerest apologies for the conditions you dealt with. We are in the process of renovating so yes we are a work in process. I truly value your opinion and it is unfortunate you had to express your concerns in this manner. Our guests should expect no less than a welcoming hospitality team ready to serve their lodging needs. In the next few months, the hotel will be improving its bedding. i welcome you to experience one of our new rooms in the very near future. That still does not make it right that our housekeeping and maintenance staff overlooked a problem like this. I do apologize again for the exterior not being satisfactory too. The staff here very well knows that the outside needs to be cleaned too. It really concerns me that the front desk did not find it important to rectify the situation for you. Regardless of what was going on it should have been their priority to have a room cleaned. There is absolutely no need for bad service.....After all we are in the business to serve guests. Once again I have spoken to my staff and informed them that the complaints like this will not continue to be tolerated. Now I dont know what the agents problem was but AGAIN as I will always say our goal is to strive for SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Either way you look at it she was rude and it will not be tolerated. It really bothers me that we lost a valued customer. However, I am relieved that you were able to find lodging that was suitable. I wish your pleasant experience was at our location but I am glad you tried our partner red Roof Inn. It is our hopes that you will give us the opprtunity to serve you better in the near future.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The desk staff and shuttle driver couldn't have been nicer at this airport adjacent Red Roof. But, I have stayed at RR's all over the country and this one is so far below par it is not to be believed. The walkways are filthy, the door of my room was rusted and bent where someone had apparently tried to kick it in. The room, especially the carpet, was filthy with muddy dog prints (I think) all over the room. I did not take my socks off the whole time. The maid came in and made up the bed. Period. Food containers and coffee cups were left where they were lying. The sink still has coffee drips in it .. she/he hadn't touched it. I actually love the RR chain for low cost, basic rooms but this place is simply dreadful. Avoid it. There's a Microtel a short distance away that looks new. I'd try that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tequoria W, Manager at Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for the nice compliments about our staff. We strive to give superior customer service. However, I do apologize for the poor service given to you and your room from housekeeping as well as the maintenance staff. What you experience is not acceptable. We are in the process of being renovated. There are some major changes happening to the property. The staff has been notified of the issues and it’s our priority to prevent these issues from happening to another guest. I really appreciate you patronizing the Red Roof chain of hotels for so many years. Without guest like you we can’t correct mistakes and we than you for that. I would really like to be given the opportunity to serve you better in the future. The next time you’re in the area please feel free to contact me. I’m Tequoria( Front Office manager) and it would be my pleasure to have you back.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

I stayed on 12/10/11 in room 124 just feel asleep bout 2am,. 2:30 am im itchy ,my face, arm, hand , swollen & scares. All our clothes trashed fear of bugs in them . We was refused to be moved to quality inn next door even though it's the same owner after manager cursed out front desk attendant & 2 hours later when finally got our money back & stayed @ Holiday Inn. Red roof inn is refusing to pay for our clothes but say they'll pay er bill & a free weekend to sleep with their BED BUGS im petrified here it's days later. Im still itching as Im posting this I need to see skin specialist asap.

• Stayed December 2011
I appreciate you patronizing our business. I really apologize for your inconvenience. I also apologize that the room wasn't clean to your satisfaction. We have never had complaints of undesirable pest. I will look into the reason for not moving you. I am sorry that on this evening another hotel recieved your business. I hope in the near future you will give us another opportunity. I would be glad to reserve your room for you. My name is Tequoria Ward and I am the new front office manager, you have my commitment to provide a pleasnt accomodation for your overnight stay in Richmond, VA.
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've stayed in several Red Roofs over the years and like the clean, basic, low-cost accommodations so I chose to stay here overnight before starting a new job in Richmond. Red Roof is usually a dependable choice...except in Sandston. At check-in, the desk clerk was barely communicative. Room highlights: Two non-operative light fixtures. A very dirty carpet and dust nuggest throughout the room. No shampoo in the bathroom. No coffee for the in-room coffeemaker. A CRT TV which didn't even tune in any local network affiliates and had no picture on ESPN.

When I complained to Red Roof corporate, they refunded the full price of the stay because they couldn't get local management to call them back.

Room Tip: If you want a good Red Roof experience in Richmond, book their other hotel at I-95 and Bells Rd.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Red_Roof_Sandston, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
We appreciate you being a loyal Red Roof Inn guest. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the issues you had at this property. We strive to offer exceptional customer service to all of our guests and we also have high standards in our guest satisfaction. I empathize with you about the problems you endured during your stay here. We have recently implemented new practices and procedures to rectify the issues you had. The quality of our rooms has been our main focus. We would like to offer you a chance to come see our improvements. Please contact me at the property if you would like to discuss reservations.
Amanda Green
Red Roof Inn #676
804.440.5770
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Do not stay here! I've stayed here before on 2 different occasions and the hotel was ok for the price. I stayed here again last weekend and will never ever stay again! The place was infested with roaches and bugs!! yuck! everything just feels dirty. The crowd staying at this hotel are people you would never want to associate with!! Neighbors were dirty old drunk men! Horrible experience! Never again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!