“Decent place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Sandston
Salisbury, Maryland
“Decent place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was here one night for business. The staff at the front desk was nice. The room was pretty clean and quiet. I had a special rate so I think it was a good value. The building shows some age, but overall it's a nice place and I slept well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review Rebecca B. We hope that if your travel needs bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, you will stay with us again.

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I struggled between a 2 and 3 rating for this property. First lets start by stating that this hotel is directly next to the airport, for this reason I give it a 3. Second, it is well worn and the amount of use shows in the lobby, conference rooms, and elevators. The rooms need updating and were fairly clean but I would expect more from a Hilton affiliated property. The front desk staff were nice and the hotel lobby bar had friendly servers. This property would not be my first choice if returning to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and the compliments about our staff. We are addressing the issues you have outlined and hope that if your travel needs bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, you will stay with us again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have now stayed three times at the Doubletree Hotel at the Richmond Airport. I travel to Richmond once each month and am a loyal Hilton Diamond customer. So I nearly always choose a Hilton aligned property. Consequently, I have stayed at each of the five hotels at the airport and can honestly say that this is the most consistently mediocre. The rooms are basic and dark. You can't park near your room and the clunky elevators are frustrating.

The staff is friendly, but don't solve problems or recognize your brand loyalty. Twice I stayed here (most recently in January 2013) and booked well in advance. Though I got a great sale rate, I usually expect a good room. Instead, when I checked in, I was given the most basic room in the back corner farthest from the front door. I was forced to lug all my Army gear into the lobby and through the long corridors. . .making several trips.

My suggestion would be to stay at the Homewood Suites (actually nearer the airport) or the Hilton Garden Inn. Both are more friendly, new and accommodating in every way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor near the entrance
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay and for the previous stays. We are initiating a full renovation of our property that will take place in 2013. If your travel needs bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, we hope that you will give us another try. Thank you.
Latham, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here while traveling on business and found the hotel and staff to be good overall with a few exceptions that kept it from being great. The location is the primary reason we stayed here in the first place since our work has us staying near the airport.

The staff and restaurant (only had breakfast) were both great. I had a bag delayed coming from the airport and they were very helpful getting me in touch with the baggage service and coordinating the delivery of my bag to the hotel. Everyone I talked to at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

The room was dated, particularly the bathroom. It only had a single light over the sink and was extremely dark. The hallways were dim and dingy as is typical in older hotels that haven't been renovated recently. The room I was in had a door to the adjoining room and it sounded like the family in the room next door may as well have been in my room when they were playing with their child.

I gave this feedback to the hotel when I was sent a survey and was pleased to have gotten an email back from the hotel manager a couple days later thanking me for my input and letting me know that the hotel is just wrapping up negotiations with Hilton to do a full renovation of the property. Hopefully the renovation will address the issues, with the staff at this hotel, if the rooms were on the same level as the staff it would be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and the compliments about our staff. As you mentioned, we are initiating a renovation of the hotel and hope that you will stay with us again.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Second time staying here on a layover. If I was paying for the room if I paid more than $95 a night I would be sad The front desk staff really are nice & the rooms are big suites with separate sitting area & a mini fridge. But the rooms are dark & dingy and this is in no way representative of what I expect from a Doubletree. I can't compare it to any of the other airport hotels as I haven't stayed at any of them. Maybe this is Richmond airport standard?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for the compliments about our staff. We value your input and are addressing the issues you have outlined in your review. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that next time, you will leave completely satisfied!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Last time I was here I had been stranded and Delta had picked up my room. This time the Doubletree was hosting an event for my company so I was staying here on my own dime, and I wondered if it would change my perspective on the place. As it turns out, it did not.

The hotel staff is possibly one of the most consistently friendly staffs I have encountered. From the shuttle driver to the front desk, to the event manager, to the cleaning staff encountered in the hall, everyone was cheerful and nice.

Like last time, check in was easy and the cookie was tasty.

I actually had the exact same type of room on this stay, but this time there were none of the minor issues that my last room suffered from. While this hotel does show some signs that it is feeling it’s age, my room was comfortable, quiet and clean.

I only ate one meal in the hotel. At the Wings bar I ordered the sliders (cheddar bacon) with the onion straws. I was delighted to find that the sliders were med rare rather than well done like most mini burgers I see. The food service was a bit slow that night but then again we had several hundred people in the ballrooms for our event so it was likely a matter of sheer volume.

Room Tip: The hotel does appear to have live musical entertainment on the weekends so my tip is twofold: 1...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope that if your travel needs to bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, you will stay with us.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I always stay at this hotel the night before traveling out of town..

Only on-site airport hotel, now yes I will agree they do need to refurbish and renovate, and they are finally starting to do so..

The reason why I always return is the staff, there are always going out of their way to help me and my family and clients out...

It's the little details that count for me and that is why I return...

I'm sure the hotel will be even better once the renovations are completed in the future...

Breakfast starts at 6am now, was 5am before, but has since changed....shuttle to/from airport runs every 15 minutes or on demand (when off-peak hours)

They do have 2 room suites which are nice for families since it provides more room and bigger area to move around..

Some rooms on 1st floor have an outside patio which is nice as well to get fresh air or talk on cell etc...

Will always return...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests, like yourself.

Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. We would not have reach the ranking of in the top percentages of all Doubletree in the world for 2011 if we didn't care about each and every guest. We want to get to that ranking again for our guests for 2013! To do so, we just announced that we are putting the final negotiations together with Hilton to renovate our entire property!

We want to thank you so much for taking the time to write to us to share your compliments about our staff and hotel. We really appreciate everything that you mentioned. We hope to see you again real soon!

Again, we do thank you so much for your comments and give you our promise that we will continue to strive to improve so that when you are back in the Richmond area, you will make us your first choice.

We can't wait for everyone to see the estimated $4Million renovation we are planning!

Thank you for your business! Have a great week!

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!