“Second time is the charm?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Seattle, Washington
“Second time is the charm?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Last time I was here I had been stranded and Delta had picked up my room. This time the Doubletree was hosting an event for my company so I was staying here on my own dime, and I wondered if it would change my perspective on the place. As it turns out, it did not.

The hotel staff is possibly one of the most consistently friendly staffs I have encountered. From the shuttle driver to the front desk, to the event manager, to the cleaning staff encountered in the hall, everyone was cheerful and nice.

Like last time, check in was easy and the cookie was tasty.

I actually had the exact same type of room on this stay, but this time there were none of the minor issues that my last room suffered from. While this hotel does show some signs that it is feeling it’s age, my room was comfortable, quiet and clean.

I only ate one meal in the hotel. At the Wings bar I ordered the sliders (cheddar bacon) with the onion straws. I was delighted to find that the sliders were med rare rather than well done like most mini burgers I see. The food service was a bit slow that night but then again we had several hundred people in the ballrooms for our event so it was likely a matter of sheer volume.

Room Tip: The hotel does appear to have live musical entertainment on the weekends so my tip is twofold: 1...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stacy P, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope that if your travel needs to bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, you will stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I always stay at this hotel the night before traveling out of town..

Only on-site airport hotel, now yes I will agree they do need to refurbish and renovate, and they are finally starting to do so..

The reason why I always return is the staff, there are always going out of their way to help me and my family and clients out...

It's the little details that count for me and that is why I return...

I'm sure the hotel will be even better once the renovations are completed in the future...

Breakfast starts at 6am now, was 5am before, but has since changed....shuttle to/from airport runs every 15 minutes or on demand (when off-peak hours)

They do have 2 room suites which are nice for families since it provides more room and bigger area to move around..

Some rooms on 1st floor have an outside patio which is nice as well to get fresh air or talk on cell etc...

Will always return...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests, like yourself.

Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. We would not have reach the ranking of in the top percentages of all Doubletree in the world for 2011 if we didn't care about each and every guest. We want to get to that ranking again for our guests for 2013! To do so, we just announced that we are putting the final negotiations together with Hilton to renovate our entire property!

We want to thank you so much for taking the time to write to us to share your compliments about our staff and hotel. We really appreciate everything that you mentioned. We hope to see you again real soon!

Again, we do thank you so much for your comments and give you our promise that we will continue to strive to improve so that when you are back in the Richmond area, you will make us your first choice.

We can't wait for everyone to see the estimated $4Million renovation we are planning!

Montréal, Qc.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is well located close to the airport but that is it.
Room was not very clean, fridge was in poor condition and the property is in serious need of refurbishing.
No free breakfast. For a Hilton hotel, you expect more.
I will not be back there.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, look somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kie H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sigconsul,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Anytime we can receive feedback, whether a compliment or constructive criticism, we truly appreciate it. Your thoughts regarding housekeeping and maintenance departments will be brought to their attention.

I would encourage you to sign up for our Hilton Honors program where Gold and Diamond members receive free breakfast buffet.

Again, we do apologize for your experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Management
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you are flying out of the airport in Richmond, this is a super location. Another positive is that they have a stay and park policy ... a van shuttles you to the airport and you can park your car on the property for up to two weeks. However, the rooms and the service were not up to what I expected of a Hilton hotel. The woman who checked me in was not helpful. The room was only ok; there were dirty towels and sheets piled in the hallway floor outside my door. And there was a mixup in the shuttle pickup...was told the shuttle would be there in 10 minutes...30 minutes later I had to call for it again. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear VirginiaTraveler9,

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests like yourself.

We are sorry that you encountered problems with our staff, appearance of our hotel rooms and our shuttle service. We will review your comments with all appropriate department heads and management, using this as a training tool.

Again, we do apologize and give you our promise that we will continue to strive to improve so that when you are back in the Richmond area, you will make us your first choice.

Thank you for your business!
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Hilton Honnors member and I live and breath thier properties when I travel. This hotel was not quite what I expected of a Hilton Property. I choose to stay in this hotel to attend a hair expo that was being held in town. To be close to the airport one would think the hotel would have a real high standard. The stay was not as good as I expected, to be a Hilton Property I expect not a five star stay but at least a four star that is working towards a five star. The room was a smoking room, which was what was requested, with a pull out sofabed and on king bed. Apparently the room must not be truly dusted, I say that because in the picture hanging over the king bed was a large dead spider, which you could tell was not a part of the drawing in the frame. The bathroom had several live in roaches in various sizes. Always check for any living or dead insects or any other unwanted critters. It tells how well housekeeping truly cleans the room. Sometimes the room may not be used as often as others so housekeeping may not go through and freshen up the room as often. Just cause the room smells fresh does not been it was just cleaned or has recently been cleaned. I would put this Double Tree on my no stay list.

Room Tip: Always check for any live-in insects dead or alive or any other unwanted critters. It tells how wel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
We are embarking on an estimated $4Million renovation throughout 2013 and we would love to have your ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. so that we can cater this to our guests’ needs! Would you do us a great favor? We would really like to know what issues you experienced (whether positive or not) and tell us about our employees that you dealt with concerning this matter along with their responses. This is the only way we can correct issues to strive to improve.
Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. Please send responses to dave@doubletreerichmond.com. Thank you!
Dave C. Johnson- General Manager
Meitar, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Excellent location and access to airport. However, this property is not up to par on the hotel chain's standards. The rooms are not properly maintained and are rather stale and dated. Cleanliness average and overall price for value is very low. Nonetheless, must say staff was friendly and helpful. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012

We would like to apologize for the problems you encountered at our hotel. We have read over your comments and I have assigned this to my Housekeeping Supervisor, my Front Office Manager (who is in charge of the front desk) and my Chief Engineer so that they can get to the bottom of these issues! Our owners are in the process of planning a total renovation with Hilton due to begin hopefully by the first part of next year!

We would really like to hear any additional comments you may have concerning your stay and tell us about our employees that you dealt with concerning the problem(s) along with their responses. This is the only way we can correct the issues to continue to improve. We would love to hear from you!

Pompano Beach Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed the Doubletree at Richmond airport one night for business. I choose this hotel since it was in the Hilton family. Hilton hotels are normally high end & they pay attention to details.

This hotel is one detail Hilton is overlooking. This hotel is very outdated, dirty & in need of a handy man that knows how to repair drywall.

The bathroom was very gross. In the past, the walls have gotten wet (maybe a water leak on the upper floors) but the walls were not repaired. The walls were allowed to dry, which has discolored them & they are cracked.
The wall outlet it broken & the repairs around that outlet were done very badly.
Below are pictures of the walls.

The closet does not have doors on it. The small fridge in the room had a bad smell. The sheets and towels did not match each other. The remotes for TV was very dirty & only worked if you were about one foot from the TV.

Breakfast was not included. But it was very good & the staff at the restaurant and front desk were nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your business! Have a great week!
Dave C. Johnson- General Manager The Doubletree by Hilton Richmond Airport, Virginia

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!