“In 30 years of travelling I have never stayed in a worse place.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Richmond Airport

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn Richmond Airport to your Saves list
Quality Inn Richmond Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5203 Williamsburg Road, Sandston, VA 23150 (Formerly Clarion Hotel Richmond Airport)   |
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Cocoa, Florida
“In 30 years of travelling I have never stayed in a worse place.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was given the hotel number by the airline after they cancelled my flight. Driver arrived in an unmarked minivan. He was pleasant and helpful. On arrival, the place looked awful but as I was only staying one night I thought OK. The heat index outside was over 100 degrees but the reception and hallways had no AC.

The first room I stayed in had pubic hair in the sink and cookie crumbs and chip fragments on the bottom sheet as well as miscellaneous material on the floor. I complained and was immediately offered another room or I could check out.

The next room had material all over the floor. I said I had enough and would check out. The night desk attendant said he could put me in a suite. I accepted. We arrived at the suite. The floor was clean but it was hot and dark. One bedside lamp was not working and the AC in the living area was not working. It was about 85 degrees in there. I discovered that the light did not work because there was nothing to plug it into. All the outlets in the bedroom had receptacle covers over them except for the TV and the one bedside lamp and alarm clock.

In the bathroom we discovered long black hair in the waste bin and on the floor plus crumpled tissues in the bin. The bed was clean but who knows? The attendant who showed me the rooms was clearly upset.

Other interesting observations : the double doors from the bedroom to the living area had no handles on them so they could not be closed. This did not help with the AC situation. The coffee maker was supplied with enough coffee for one cup of regular or one cup of decaf ( for a king room). It was fitted with a 12" cord but there were no outlets on the counter so I had to put it on the floor.

Breakfast was included but I could not bear the thought of it so checked out early. Sorry to say the minivan driver had gone home with the keys. The front desk attendant took me to the airport in his own vehicle. By the way the same people operate the Red Roof Inn next door and incoming calls for both are answered at the front desk of the Quality Inn.

Nobody there has the authority to adjust rates or refund. If the owners read this - do the decent thing and give me my money back.

Room Tip: Don't bother I don't think they have any.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is owned by the same people that own the Red Roof Roach Motel next door. We moved over to this one after seeing what a disgusting, noisy place the other one was.

The guy at the front desk said the owner is planning to combine the two into one giant hotel. When you get inside and see the condition of the building, it's quite easy to see there's no such plan in the works. My speculation, given the shape of the place and the numerous complaint calls being taken while I was checking out, is that the owner is sucking in what money he/she can and then abandoning the place.

That said, here's what I encountered: the lobby is the only truly nice area. It's air-conditioned, and things look decent. There is NO cooling of any kind on the upper floors, and all the vending room areas have been stripped out and left with sticky floors and garbage piling in them. The stairwells had cigarette butts piled in the corners. The room itself was alright, but one bed tried to flip over if you sat on the edge, and the outlets were behind the mattresses, so the bedside lamp was constantly going out. The shower had no pressure, and my dog found some kind of disgusting, unidentifiable gray mass around one of the beds and tried to eat it. That still makes me gag to think about it.

The air conditioner in the room, even when set to high, only barely cooled the room to a comfortable temperature, and the bathroom remained very warm. Only one bed had a blanket between sheet and comforter, the comforter had cigarette burns on it, and the sheets weren't the right size for the mattress. That said, I will grudgingly admit the mattress was nice and soft.

When we went up to the front desk at the end to complain and request at least the extra money back we had to pay for switching to a less disgusting hotel, we were flatly refused. And as I said, there were others working there taking phone calls that included a ton of apologies, so clearly we weren't the only unhappy residents.

It's no wonder these places are so empty, and explains why the Red Roof Inn website doesn't even list this property. If you want something marginally better but still cheap and pet-friendly, just go to the Motel 6 and ask not to be put near the pool area. This place isn't worth the price or the headache.

• Stayed May 2014
Mint Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed near Richmond's airport so that we could make a quick get-away. It's conveniently located maybe 5 minutes from the airport property plus, there's a Burger King less than a block away. It's an older motel, 6 stories high with old, slow elevators. This wasn't a problem, even on a weekend. Quality Inn is one of the choice hotels. I use them often because the prices are very reasonable, they have free wireless and they serve a free breakfast in the mornings. Our room was in a quiet area, or perhaps there weren't many people staying there on this occasion. The room has a desk area, good for trying out their wireless internet. At first glance, one might think that the hotel is short on electrical outlets, but by the TV is a power strip. This is good for the laptops and any other electronic device which might need to be charged. The bathroom seemed nice enough, but the walls of the shower area/bathtub area seems to have suffered some scraping or scarring. It didn't look too good but it was functional. When we turned out the lights, we both went "out like a light". The mattress was very comfortable. On Sunday morning we got ready to check out, but we wanted to eat before leaving. Unfortunately, the person at the front desk said that the person responsible for getting the breakfast together had not been seen. I had never had this experience in a choice hotel. On weekends, the breakfast usually starts later than during the week. We were there at 7AM, hoping to be there when it opened. After receiving the bad news about the breakfast, my wife chose to wait 30 minutes just in case the person did show. No luck! We left and stopped at the Burger King drive-thru for breakfast. The person at the front desk did say that this had never happened before. I would probably have said the same thing. One other curious thing. The area outside the breakfast area/ night club area has public restrooms. The men's restroom toilets had no doors on them. That's all I can say.

Room Tip: On Saturday nights, there's a night club downstairs which plays music. We were on the top floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've stayed here before, but it seems this is slipping. I almost think that most of their income derives from the night club, which the day staff tends to desparage. Breakfast is okay, but in the night club, with dim lighting, though devoid of beer and liquor odors. My room seemed to have a mustry odor on entering, though it went away. Still things like coffee, pens, toiletries were non-existent or in short supply. My elite status was recognized, but there was no morning paper. The price was right and I may stay here again if I can't get a code for on line reservation for a better price.

Room Tip: Stay away from the club on the weekends
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I don't understand all these negative reviews on this hotel. I stay here often and never had a problem. Never seen mold or bugs or smelled any odors. I think people over exaggerate. Why would you drive 2 hours and drive back instead of going to another one? Plus it's not smoke free and all the pet rooms are smoking rooms. I always had a pleasant stay and the staff is always pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked this hotel as a much needed weekend getaway for me and my daughter. We took our dog with us. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. There was no one at the front desk. I went to the restroom and didn't have toilet paper in the first 2 stalls. No soap, no paper towels. The clerk, who was polite and gracious, seemed to be alone running the large hotel. No housekeeping available. The rooms are old, outdated and smelled like smoke. It's supposed to be a smoke-free hotel. Mold in the bathroom. Comforter had holes in it. I had enough when I saw the bugs! I checked out and drove 2 hours back home. I refused to give my hard earned money for this. I've stayed at other Choice Hotels and pet friendly hotels and the experience was always positive. Don't stay here! It needs a major renovation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have actually stay at this hotel several times the staff has always been very helpful & nice. Never had any problems with my room always fresh & clean I always spot check my rooms for any problems bugs not clean or a smoking odor in a non smoking room. I dont have to second look at this place everything is always right. Great location & live entertainment right on site. Since I started to stay more often Ken the desk manager introduce me to the Choice Privelage Program I love it!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Quality Inn Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!