You added Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem to your Saves list
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Salem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vinton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel on Sat March 29, 2014 and it was horrible!!!!! We booked our room checked in which the lady at the front desk was sweet and fast in checking us in. We went to our room walked in and it was freezing in the room (which I understand since it was vacant). We proceeded to turn to on the heat and 30 mins later it felt colder than when we first arrived. Called down to the over 15 times with no answer. So we went down stairs (3rd floor) and let the front desk know we had no heat and that there was pubic hair in the bath tub which was completely disgusting!!!!! We were informed that the maintenance would be up to in the next 30 mins. This was around 6:30, he DID NOT show up for over 2 hours! By then I was completely froze. We had booked a smoking room he walked in and walked right back out and told us to our face that he did not work in a room smoking! He proceeded to tell us he would change our room for us. The employee went and opened the room right next door to the one we were in so we could move our luggage. He said we would need to go down stairs to get keys for the new room. We did and walked back up the 3 sets of stairs for the 3rd time to find out the key didn't work. Walked back down and the front desk reprogrammed our keys and told us that they would work. So we went back upstairs and THE KEYS DID NOT WORK STILL!!!!! All of our belongings including my purse was in the new room. By this time I was pissed so I went back down and informed the lady the keys still didn't work. She called the maintenance man back and we were asked to meet him at our room. His key barely worked and he plain out said something was wrong with the lock that if we wanted to leave for anything we would have to go back down stairs to have someone to let us in!!!! They wanted to move us again and we refused to move because by this time it was 10:30. I was ready to go to bed. By this time I was furious I asked for the managers name and number and asked when he would be back in. The clerk wrote his name down for me. The next morning went down and spoke with the "manager" and he point out called me a liar about the PUBIC HAIR in the bathtub and that he would give us 25% off our stay!!! No we dealt with this for over 4 hours. I asked the "manager" if he was indeed the manager and he lied to my face and said no. I told him he needed to let me back in the nasty room to get our belongings. I still had the paper where the clerk had written his name down. I took that paper back down to him after getting our belongings. I specifically asked him if that was his name (which was the same name on his name tag) and he told me NO!!!! I was furious and told him he needed to learn to tell the truth and needed to learn how to treat his guest. I do not RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone not even one night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't make the same mistake as we did.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Harrison
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The rooms were dated but clean. Breakfast is offered till 9 but about 8:30 they quit replenishing empty containers. Juice machine was broken and no other juice option (like store bought) was offered.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Ormond Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

First of all the heat in the room only extended as far as your arm, second really completely renovated rooms with antiquated tv and scrappy doors? Next was FREE BREAKFAST ON A Sunday UNTIL WOW 9 a.m. Definitely not worth $50.00, go to the Quality Hotel, easier to find and looked a lot better!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem? Share your experiences!