“I received a bill a check-in for a total of 64,53 including...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Salem

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Western Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Given the on-line price (very low) and the reviews (historically negative but more recently somewhat positive), my choice to book this motel for an overnight stop on our way to Chattanooga was a gamble, but one that paid off. We had a good night's sleep on comfortable beds in a clean room. In the morning we ate a filling breakfast from a well-stocked continental breakfast spread in a bright, airy room with a panoramic view of the mountains.

date of stay: January 23, 2013 (10:30pm)

price: 48.28 (42.46 plus taxes)

room: 113, around the back of the hotel

condition of room: recently painted and renovated. Lots of patches in the bathroom.

condition of plumbing: Pipes made weird noises when shower was in use but pressure and temperature of the water is great.

condition of furniture: good. Mattresses were probably replaced last year.

Noise: quiet. Location is off the road, up on a hill. Also, not too many guests. A bunch of drunk boys around the corner were getting rowdy in outside corridor nearer to the front desk when we checked in. I saw a motel employee heading their way as I entered the lobby, so I guess there was a complaint and the manager was addressing it.

amenities: good. Separate freezer and refrigerator. Didn't use the coffee maker or iron

cleanliness: Smelled fresh but not sweet or flowery. no dust, dirt, stains,trash.

climate control: We needed the heater to work and it did. No noisier than any hotel unit.

Front desk: Night manager not so friendly, day manager - cheerful, interested in our opinion.

breakfast: Usual cold fare, toaster for breads, biscuits and gravy and egg patties, WEAK coffee

I am writing this review from my motel room in Chattanooga. We are staying at another Wyndham chain motel of similar price range. This room is identical to the Howard Johnson's room about which I have written this review except for the decor and a few minor differences concerning the price (current room is slightly more), size of the television (current tv is bigger) and what amenities are provided (Howard Johnson wins with the vanity set-up, freezer and nice breakfast). Unless the proprietors of this motel let things slide, we will continue to make this motel our overnight stop in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I do not like to write reviews like this but I feel obligated to do so after my stay. I was forced to stay at this location due to a snow storm that hit the area. When I arrived, I was optimistic due to the view of Salem from the parking lot. It all went down hill from there. When I got to my room, it was old, smelly, and two of the light fixtures did not work. The room below me had flooded recently and they were vacuuming the water (I'm assuming) for hours. My cell phone was dying and I told my parents and my girlfriend to call my room number if they needed to get in touch with me. They kept calling my cell phone and informing me that the person at the front desk told them to call back in a little bit that she was not at the desk to transfer the call. After taking a stroll to the lobby, I find her sitting in the breakfast area playing on her cell phone. I return to my room without saying to her and waiting for my phone to ring. I then get another call and my girlfriend tells me that she finally transferred it but I did not pick up the phone. I checked the phone and it was not working. I walked back down stairs and the manager explained to me that I was put in a room that the phone did not work. I asked him why they would put me in that room when they had tons of other rooms that they could have put me in. They had no logical answer other than they could do nothing for me. I was not happy and they offered no apologies or solution. The hotel was okay for a night, but the service I received deems it terrible in my book. I have stayed in many Howard Johnson's across the country, this is not a true representation of the business as whole. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Higher Floors have a better view, Ask for the city side