“Low quality. Flashback to the 1970s” 1 of 5 stars

Budget Host Blue Jay Motel
5399 West Main Street, Salem, VA 24153   |
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Salem
Niceville
“Low quality. Flashback to the 1970s”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I booked this hotel through Priceline as a stop through on my way south. The college graduation filled up the better hotels so this was my last option in the area. The motel is dated and looks like something from the 1970s. The room was dirty with dust piled up throughout. I killed multiple bugs in the one night I was there. The décor was ancient and the beds are uncomfortable. I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel. Low quality experience and should be removed from Priceline's listings.

Room Tip: Do not choose this motel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hogansville, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was not happy when my husband stopped at this motel on our way home from Massachusetts, but, I have to admit it was better than I expected. The view of the mountains from the motel was absolutely beautiful. The rooms are dated, the towels are very thin, and no toiletries are provided; however, the room including the bathroom was clean – not sanitary clean, but acceptable clean. The heater/AC unit worked great. My major complaint would be about the beds in our room. They were clean, but the beds were very hard. It was like sleeping on a piece of cement. One pillow was okay, but the other one was like a cement block. For the price, it was an okay place to stay for the night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We paid $51+tax ($57) for four people.

PROS:
* Fairly clean (surprisingly)
* In-room fridge & microwave
* Almost a good value

CONS:
* Extremely dated
* The clerk (whom I assume was the proprietor) was unfriendly and impolite. Had she smiled even once or not snapped at me I would have given this place an extra star.
* $51 is pretty cheap, but given what you get, it still seems slightly overpriced.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here was a nightmare. WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!!
The name and the place sounds great but ones you in you want to live the place smells very bud.
This motel is one of the worse hotel i stain in my my life. The owner of this place need to demolish the building sorry but that is the true. Service sucks.

Room Tip: nothing IS GOOD HERE sorry!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hospitality / Guest Service: Sucks.
The older Indian lady at the front desk was apparently thinking she’s still in India. Pretty rude and confrontational. She wanted to charge my credit card $1 more – “because of all the credit card fees”. I declined. Obviously upset about the fact, she swiped my card through the terminal and threw it back to me. Until I had the slip to sign, I didn’t know if she actually charged me more – to her credit, she did not. Then I got the key to the room.
I got in and was hit in the face with disgusting smoking atmosphere. Went back to the front desk and asked the lady to please give me a non-smoking room. She tried to make it all my fault – since I didn’t specifically ask for non-smoking (as if she didn’t have to ask me about my preference). Then she looked through her records, said she didn’t have any units this size that were non-smoking, and only had non-smoking units with king size bed. I asked her what it meant. She reiterated the unit had the king size bed. I asked her again what it meant – openly hinting at the difference in cost. Finally she said, in her Indian-style customer service voice: “It’s $7 more”. Tired at the end of day and from all this endeavor already, I gave her $7 bucks in cash to be done with it. Got the key to the super-unit.

The super unit.
Pros: It indeed had the king size bed.
Cons: Multiple. The biggest one is water pressure – to say it’s low is to understate it. It’s virtually non-existent. This clever system is likely designed with water conservation in mind. While washing hands, it’s only annoying but tolerable, forget about taking shower – I tried. The showerhead is designed, again, with water conservation in mind and has 3 or 4 needle-like streams, letting out nor more than a pint of water in 15 seconds. Oh, and add to it all really no hot water (if it was there, there was so little of it, I didn’t notice). I used ingenuity trick and filled water into a mug from the showerhead to pour it gently onto myself. Sort of “intermittent showering”. By the end of my shower experience, I was a little cold.

Next con is refrigerator. It was freezing stuff to death – and did this to my cucumber :(. Everything else I had could take it. My bad, I didn’t check for controls on the back of the fridge – maybe there were some there. There were non inside.

One last thing is the CFL lighting I needed the most was buzzing – pretty strange for CFL… Again, they are trying to save on everything there – all the lighting is CFL. Luckily, I didn’t need that light for too long.

Bottom line: if you just want to spend a night, don’t need to take a shower, it might be a good fit. Otherwise, it may result in some annoyance at best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I dont care what you other people on here say about this motel, I thought it was OK. I have stayed in worse for sure. The heater was the ULTIMATE!! You couldnt leave it on 10 minutes before you had to turn it off! Yeah..its old...but my sheets were clean, shower was clean and the pressure would peel your dead skin OFF! I liked it and will stay there again next year...if its still open!

Room Tip: room 109 was what I had.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here en route back from Charlotte when I was overtired and needed a place to stay and the Holiday Inn Express on the way was booked up. Would not stay here again.

Sheets, beds, and bathroom were outdated and needed improvement. There were cigarette burns and for some reason they put me in a smoking room when I asked for non-smoking.

This is a location I would pass on, it could be nice but it would require significant investment. Staff was not particularly friendly. Best thing about the place was the view in the morning, the mountains are beautiful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Budget Host Blue Jay Motel? Share your experiences!