“I don't usually write about Holiday Inn's but...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Salem
Orlando
“I don't usually write about Holiday Inn's but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I feel compelled to write about this nice, clean hotel located outside of Roanoke. I usually don't stay at Holiday Inn's, preferring Hilton or Hyatt, but I have to stay this was probably the nicest Holiday Inn I have stayed in. It's VERY clean, has a solid breakfast buffet with nice service people, and I slept in a quiet, cool room with nice linens and pillows. Bathroom was updated. Everything worked. Electrical outlets in good places and lighting was nice. If you want a good value hotel in the area, I would recommend this one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Our group of 37 played in a baseball tournament in Salem. With that size group you usually have someone who hates their room. No one did! Queen beds were great, with 2 types of pillows. The bathroom fine, though no exhaust fan, so very steamy after a shower. A convenient laundry on the second floor made it possible to wash uniforms. Granted we were only inthe hotel from 1015p until 930a the next morning, but overall it went well. We were offered free breafast vouchers for each room whcih was a big financial help, since we'd had to eat our every other meal. One big issue was a lack of air conditioning on hallways and the elevators. There was none and it was nearly 100 degrees the days we stayed. Also, it is hotel policy to not turn on the air once room is cleaned. A couple of rooms did not check in prior to the end of our first day and walked into a room that was about 84 degrees. It took two hour to get it cool enough to be comfortable. If you not going to be there until later in the evening on a hot day, call and request that the air be turned on in your room. Stephanie at the front desk was really helpful and it showed they valued our business. P.S. Eat at Mac 'n Bobs Sports Bar.

Stayed June 2010
pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Being a seasoned traveler, this is THE WORSE ENGINEERED HOTEL I have ever stayed in. Room 120 on the first floor hears all the noise from the lobby and the stairway.
The phones did not work in the room. I had to call the front desk using my cell phone , their explanation of the phone not being turned on was that they didn't want anyone making long distance phone calls. At that time I had requested a wake up call at 7 AM.
Well did not get any sleep because of all the noise, my colleague went to the front desk at 1 AM to ask them to have them to go to the room next to us to turn the volume down on their blaring TV. The lobby TV continued to send noise down the hall. Did'nt they place any insulation in the walls of the rooms? Needless to say the wake up call never came
luckily I was still up at that time. If it would have been warmer I would have slept in my car. I WOULD ADVISE NOT TO STAY HERE IF YOU REQUIRE ANY SLEEP

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I thought the property was well kept. I don't think the value is that great. You can stay in similar hotels and be served a free hot breakfast. This place was charging ~$8.00 for a similar breakfast that you would get for free. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

My seventy-five year old mother and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Salem Virginia for the night of Tuesday, October 7th, 2008. When making our reservations online, we requested a room on the top floor, away from the elevator and the Interstate, and we received a room on the third floor (of four) right in front of the elevator overlooking the entrance to the hotel.

The very large room included two queen beds, each with four pillows on them, a clock radio, one office-type chair with a table/desk, one comfy chair with an ottoman, one bench-type chair, a large television with fifty-seven channels and a remote, a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a coffeemaker, and an iron/ironing board. There was also a fake tree in the corner by the window, which we thought was a very nice touch.

The very large bathroom had plenty of room to move around in, and included three sets of towels, a hairdryer, bottles of shampoo and lotion, as well as a bar of facial soap and a bar of bath soap. There was a handle in the shower, which my mother was able to use to get in and out with ease. However, the shower area could have been a bit cleaner, especially around the shelves where the soap and shampoo would be placed.

The wired high speed internet connection worked sporatically for much of the night, making it very frustrating to get anything done. It should be noted that the hotel was completely sold out, so the demand on the network would probably have been high. Also, I was not able to get a wireless connection from the hotel room.

After taxes, the American Automobile Association rate per night for Room 320 came to $115.96 U.S. Funds. Overall, we were very comfortable, and despite having a room opposite the elevator, it was pretty quiet...

• Liked — The fake tree in the room
  • Disliked — Poor Internet access from room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

we were recomended to stay at this hotel and it was one of the worst one ever.the room was so old and filthy and disgusting who ever cleans the room need to be fired the wall paper was coming off the walls,it looked old as dirt.Dont be fooled by the outer apperance,for the money i wished i would of slept in my car.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
City Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

First hotel on our 2,000-mile, 11-day roadtrip (me, hubby and his 95-year-old father), and how delightful was this??? We were graciously received, and the rooms were fine, as prevoiusly reviewed, but the big surprise was the quality of the dinner, given our spoiled NYC taste buds. I had one of the finest filet mignons ever, and the freshly sauteed veggies were prepared to perfection. Pop's shrimp dinner was so delightful, he wanted to hobble into the kitchen to compliment the chef! And it was such a joy to wind down the evening (after two long days on the road) in the cocktail lounge with a real bartender who knows how to make his customers fell right at home. We continued our trip on this beautiful highway the next day totally refreshed.

• Liked — Clean rooms, good food, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Plastic cups in the room (thought they're everywhere, now).
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke? Share your experiences!