“OK Place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Gainesville,Ga.
“OK Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were on our way to PA. and being we left Georgia late morning we decided to get a room at the half way point. We stopped here at the Holiday inn in Salem VA without a reservation. The reservation lady was very pleasant and greeted me with a smile. I asked if she had a room with 2 queens and she said she did. The price was very reasonable so we took the room. We went to the room and it was pleasantly very roomy. I was not disappointed at all with the accommodations. The only thing that I did not like was the food service from the dining area. It was a paid menu which I didn't mind but the food, at least for the breakfast side was not that good. The bagels were frozen as well as the waffles. I had an omelet which was just overloaded with to much of the veggie's. They do offer a buffet style breakfast but I really didn't care for that after looking at the items. Overall the room was good but the food I could have done without. Best to find another place to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Jeff S,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to know that we were able to meet your expectations when it comes to providing our guests with good value room accommodations.

Although I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, it is truly regrettable that you were not able to fully enjoy our breakfast. Please be assured that your comments will be used towards our improvement so we could provide you with a better hotel experience in the future.

Faith R
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Malta, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Where to start....we reserved a King room and upon walking in the first thing we noticed was the stained and dirty the floors. If only the floors were the worst part, we soon saw a good sized cockroach crawling on the wall. We told the front desk they moved us to another room but had no kings available so we were moved into a room with 2 doubles. The floors were just as nasty and stained (if not worse than the king room) there were stains on the white covers, hair in the bathtub and soap dish by the sink and popcorn kernels on the floor....the room was far from clean! Not impressed to say the least.

• Stayed June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear JMFor,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review of our property. I am sorry your stay was negatively affected by the room condition. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

Again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Brownville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We will not stay there again. Inconvenient location relative to places to eat. The room was small and the breakfast was less than average. Disappointed. In the future we will skip Salem and stay further down the road

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear William L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the location of the hotel. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Underhill, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was a bit dissapointed with our stay, as the hotel was a bit dated and shabby. Unlike the Holiday Inn Express, you have to pay for breakfast along with juices. Our room was okay and we were not able to locate the pool. I will not stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear mommavt,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the property condition and breakfast experience. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I grew up going to Holiday Inn's and thinking they were the best hotels in the world. You know, because you're on vacation and everything is better on vacation. Last week, I wouldn't have considered staying at a Holiday Inn but we found ourselves needing a hotel in Salem, VA and the Holiday Inn was available.

When we checked in, we discovered we were at the wrong Holiday Inn. NOTE: There are 2 Holiday Inn's in Salem. One at Exit 141 (that's an Express) and ours was at Exit 137. When we made it to the correct Holiday Inn, there were 2 lovely women waiting to greet us exclaiming, "We've been expecting you." It was just what I needed after a long and slightly frustrating drive, topped off with going to the wrong hotel first. These ladies were genuinely friendly and very helpful. The front lobby was nicely appointed and very welcoming. There's also a saltwater fish tank that I enjoyed too!

Our room was clean, and had everything we needed including a small fridge. The bathroom has just enough space so that you're not cramped. The shower had very good water pressure too!The bed had plenty of pillows (even though they were small pillows, they were comfortable), and clean, fresh sheets and bedding. Very nice! I started to look around to find flaws like worn carpeting, torn wallpaper, mildew in the shower, but I found nothing. I was really impressed!!
The next morning when I went to dry my hair, I finally found something not up to snuff...and that was the hair dryer. It didn't blow hot air, it hardly blew any air at all. But, a quick trip to the front desk and I was loaned a real hair dryer.

We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel and it was pretty good. You can order off the menu which I wish I had done, but the buffet was better than most and our 11 year old was free.

At the end of our 2 day stay, I have only 2 comments: 1) the shower made a slight noise when on and didn't drain quickly and 2) bring your own hairdryer just in case! These 2 minor items are why I didn't give a 5 Star rating. The price is more than fair and the location of this Holiday Inn to Salem is very good. Just a few minutes to downtown Salem and Roanoke College.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Amherst, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. I picked this hotel over the others in the area because it has an indoor pool and hot tub. The pool was still open when we got there (8:30 pm) which was great because after a long day of driving it was wonderful to be able to take the stress off. The pool water was warm (85 degrees or so) and clean. There are some stains on the steps and bottom, but the water was clean. The hot tub was hot, but only a few of the blowers worked. The room was comfortable and I was glad that the window opened. I'm a smoker so we were in a smoking room, which was pretty stuffy when we first got there. It's always nice to have an in-room coffee pot, microwave and fridge. The location was very convenient to the highway and wasn't too far from downtown. The pillows on the bed were the half size that didn't bother me, but my husband didn't like. The staff was very friendly. We didn't eat here so I can't say anything about the bar/restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear AWTorrey,

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to read that you were pleased with the services we provide. One of the greatest rewards is receiving feedback such as yours. Our staff takes pride in creating a memorable, exceptional experience for our guests. Hearing that we have accomplished that goal means that we have delivered you the value and experience you expect.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Dhan M
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I found the hotel to be above average. For the most part, the room was clean except for some minor areas in the bathroom and the refrigerator could have used a cleaning. The beds were extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean. The bathroom towels were fluffy and bright white. The carpet and furniture was clean. I found the hotel staff to be pleasant. The hotel breakfast was good and the price was acceptable for the convenience. If I were in the area again, I would have no problem staying again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke? Share your experiences!