“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Underhill, Vermont
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was a bit dissapointed with our stay, as the hotel was a bit dated and shabby. Unlike the Holiday Inn Express, you have to pay for breakfast along with juices. Our room was okay and we were not able to locate the pool. I will not stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear mommavt,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the property condition and breakfast experience. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I grew up going to Holiday Inn's and thinking they were the best hotels in the world. You know, because you're on vacation and everything is better on vacation. Last week, I wouldn't have considered staying at a Holiday Inn but we found ourselves needing a hotel in Salem, VA and the Holiday Inn was available.

When we checked in, we discovered we were at the wrong Holiday Inn. NOTE: There are 2 Holiday Inn's in Salem. One at Exit 141 (that's an Express) and ours was at Exit 137. When we made it to the correct Holiday Inn, there were 2 lovely women waiting to greet us exclaiming, "We've been expecting you." It was just what I needed after a long and slightly frustrating drive, topped off with going to the wrong hotel first. These ladies were genuinely friendly and very helpful. The front lobby was nicely appointed and very welcoming. There's also a saltwater fish tank that I enjoyed too!

Our room was clean, and had everything we needed including a small fridge. The bathroom has just enough space so that you're not cramped. The shower had very good water pressure too!The bed had plenty of pillows (even though they were small pillows, they were comfortable), and clean, fresh sheets and bedding. Very nice! I started to look around to find flaws like worn carpeting, torn wallpaper, mildew in the shower, but I found nothing. I was really impressed!!
The next morning when I went to dry my hair, I finally found something not up to snuff...and that was the hair dryer. It didn't blow hot air, it hardly blew any air at all. But, a quick trip to the front desk and I was loaned a real hair dryer.

We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel and it was pretty good. You can order off the menu which I wish I had done, but the buffet was better than most and our 11 year old was free.

At the end of our 2 day stay, I have only 2 comments: 1) the shower made a slight noise when on and didn't drain quickly and 2) bring your own hairdryer just in case! These 2 minor items are why I didn't give a 5 Star rating. The price is more than fair and the location of this Holiday Inn to Salem is very good. Just a few minutes to downtown Salem and Roanoke College.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Amherst, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. I picked this hotel over the others in the area because it has an indoor pool and hot tub. The pool was still open when we got there (8:30 pm) which was great because after a long day of driving it was wonderful to be able to take the stress off. The pool water was warm (85 degrees or so) and clean. There are some stains on the steps and bottom, but the water was clean. The hot tub was hot, but only a few of the blowers worked. The room was comfortable and I was glad that the window opened. I'm a smoker so we were in a smoking room, which was pretty stuffy when we first got there. It's always nice to have an in-room coffee pot, microwave and fridge. The location was very convenient to the highway and wasn't too far from downtown. The pillows on the bed were the half size that didn't bother me, but my husband didn't like. The staff was very friendly. We didn't eat here so I can't say anything about the bar/restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear AWTorrey,

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to read that you were pleased with the services we provide. One of the greatest rewards is receiving feedback such as yours. Our staff takes pride in creating a memorable, exceptional experience for our guests. Hearing that we have accomplished that goal means that we have delivered you the value and experience you expect.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Dhan M
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I found the hotel to be above average. For the most part, the room was clean except for some minor areas in the bathroom and the refrigerator could have used a cleaning. The beds were extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean. The bathroom towels were fluffy and bright white. The carpet and furniture was clean. I found the hotel staff to be pleasant. The hotel breakfast was good and the price was acceptable for the convenience. If I were in the area again, I would have no problem staying again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Danville, Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a one-night get away. Even though we had to pay a little more for this hotel, we chose it because it offered a heated indoor pool and hot tub. The heated indoor pool was so cold we only stayed in for 3 minutes and couldn't get in more than waist deep. The hot tub was out of order. The front desk staff was polite but not overly welcoming and it almost seemed as though we were bothering them when checking in and out. We were on the third floor beside the elevator and never heard it except when in the bathroom. The only complaint I have with the room is the pillows seemed exceptionally small, as in not much bigger than a couch throw pillow. I could never get comfortable and woke up multiple times during the night and had a sore neck for two days after. Because I could not sleep, I did get up earlier than usual and used the fitness center which I thought was very nice for a smaller hotel. I am a IGH rewards member and have always been satisfied with their hotels, but I doubt I will return to this one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Kasey911,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service and accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do appreciate the high score for Cleanliness and We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Buena Vista, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Traveling for the holidays I find it easy for me to get on an off the highway when traveling threw roanoke,va. I have stayed at the holiday in serval times an each time it's either poor housekeeping or poor front desk service...I'm not hard to please but I do require clean sheets an a clean tub if I'm paying to stay...when arriving to my room I did not immediately inspect my room because I was running late to a meeting..after my meeting I return to the hotel to get so e rest to see my tub had not been clean...So I called the front desk the older women working was very polite an changed my room...as I gather my belonging to change rooms I went to 428 to find hair on the sheets an black stains as if they were old sheets I then called the desk again to let them know...when getting back to the desk Jennifer the office manager was there and said you know it seems like a pattern that you come here an complain...why do you keep returning...our washer an dryer leaves hair an static on all our sheets (YUCK).... I answered her an said because it's easy for me when I'm traveling an I am a ihg member so I want my points I never think about the bad I just hope it gets better an she was very rude about it....i mean I wouldn't lie if you have poor housekeeping I will speak up....this was the worse service ever an after giving them more then enough chances I will not be back thanks to the office manager JENNIFER!

Room Tip: Make sure housekeepers are dusting old food should not be left on nightstand gross!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Chantel H,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I travel over 240 days a year and try to stay in IHG chains the most. This hotel will no longer get my business. I booked a specific room online (higher price) and upon arrival, seemed to have been downgraded to a standard room. The clerk adjusted the price of the room to reflect the lower priced room. Things happen, rooms overbooked and such, so I was OK with the adjustment. However, once in the room the stay was worse. As a Platinum member, I have my preferences listed in the profile (king, nonsmoking, away from elevator, high floor). The room they gave me was beside the elevator and in the second floor of a four floor hotel. The elevator seemed like it was right at the headboard. Not a fun night. The carpet is worn and stained, the filters in the A/C unit were filthy, there was mold in the bathroom, and who knows what behind the faucet at the sink. Very disappointed in this hotel. Next time I am in the area, I will either stay at the Comfort Suites 1/2 mile away or drive to Christiansburg and stay at that Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Garbarts,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. We would like to gather some additional information and have sent your a Private Message.

Adrian D
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke? Share your experiences!