“Keep Returning Praying For Better Hospitality But I Always Come Up Short...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Buena Vista, Virginia
“Keep Returning Praying For Better Hospitality But I Always Come Up Short...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Traveling for the holidays I find it easy for me to get on an off the highway when traveling threw roanoke,va. I have stayed at the holiday in serval times an each time it's either poor housekeeping or poor front desk service...I'm not hard to please but I do require clean sheets an a clean tub if I'm paying to stay...when arriving to my room I did not immediately inspect my room because I was running late to a meeting..after my meeting I return to the hotel to get so e rest to see my tub had not been clean...So I called the front desk the older women working was very polite an changed my room...as I gather my belonging to change rooms I went to 428 to find hair on the sheets an black stains as if they were old sheets I then called the desk again to let them know...when getting back to the desk Jennifer the office manager was there and said you know it seems like a pattern that you come here an complain...why do you keep returning...our washer an dryer leaves hair an static on all our sheets (YUCK).... I answered her an said because it's easy for me when I'm traveling an I am a ihg member so I want my points I never think about the bad I just hope it gets better an she was very rude about it....i mean I wouldn't lie if you have poor housekeeping I will speak up....this was the worse service ever an after giving them more then enough chances I will not be back thanks to the office manager JENNIFER!

Room Tip: Make sure housekeepers are dusting old food should not be left on nightstand gross!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Chantel H,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I travel over 240 days a year and try to stay in IHG chains the most. This hotel will no longer get my business. I booked a specific room online (higher price) and upon arrival, seemed to have been downgraded to a standard room. The clerk adjusted the price of the room to reflect the lower priced room. Things happen, rooms overbooked and such, so I was OK with the adjustment. However, once in the room the stay was worse. As a Platinum member, I have my preferences listed in the profile (king, nonsmoking, away from elevator, high floor). The room they gave me was beside the elevator and in the second floor of a four floor hotel. The elevator seemed like it was right at the headboard. Not a fun night. The carpet is worn and stained, the filters in the A/C unit were filthy, there was mold in the bathroom, and who knows what behind the faucet at the sink. Very disappointed in this hotel. Next time I am in the area, I will either stay at the Comfort Suites 1/2 mile away or drive to Christiansburg and stay at that Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Garbarts,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. We would like to gather some additional information and have sent your a Private Message.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We needed a hotel for one night during a road trip. We found Holiday Inn Express in Salem, Va. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Even one of the maids helped to unload our luggage cart. NICE! The room was clean and smelled great. The breakfast food was warm, fresh and plentiful. The breakfast staff spoke to everyone who entered the area and wished them a good day as they left.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times, for both personal and business trips. The staff is always very friendly and helpful, but the decor is a little dated.

A lot of the Holiday Inns that I stay in are fairly dated, this one is no exception. The room itself was fairly large, with a couch and coffee table in addition to the usual furniture. The furniture in the room is visibly older and out of date. The rooms do include mini refrigerators (no freezer) and microwaves. I did enjoy the flat screen TVs, but did not like the fact that the air conditioner would not remain on, even if the fan was set to remain on.

The workout room is extremely dated. I hadn't even gotten to a running pace on the treadmill when I got off because the belt was sticking. None of the other equipment looked enticing, so I ran up and down the stairs for a while...

This hotel does have a full service restaurant and bar, but did offer me free breakfast vouchers for a buffet style (think Holiday Inn Express) breakfast, which they offered on mornings of high occupancy.

The location is very convenient to Salem and Roanoke is not far away either. There is a Food Lion right down the street, a Wal Mart a few minutes away on Main St and several restaurants a short drive away.

This hotel does offer smoking rooms as well.

Overall, I gave it four stars because of the kindness of the staff. It is not a bad place to stay by any means. The rooms were clean and my main gripes are the workout room equipment and the air conditioning that didn't operate as it should.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night on July 13 on our way back home from a funeral in PA. The people are wonderful. However, when I checked in she said "you wanted a smoking room right?" I pointed to the reservation paper she was holding and said "no, see it says non-smoking." Then she said the room assigned to us was smoking. But she changed it immediately. The room is very big and the mattress is comfortable. The Restaurant is good but I don't understand why it's by the pool because while we were eating dinner there were kids screaming. The crab cakes were delicious and HUGE...the size of pancakes! My husband said his ribeye was ok but not the best. We had a few drinks at the bar and the bloody marys were good but small. We had coupons for free breakfast which was hot but they didn't have english muffins and they charged for orange juice, which I found odd. The only bad thing was there was black mold around our tub/shower drain. Other than that it was very clean and we would definitely stay again. It was nice not to have to hunt down a restaurant in the rain!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here overnight on the way to a conference. I had a King room.

Everything worked well and was comfortable. I particularly liked the flat screen TV with regular cable, as opposed to the usual hotel system. The bed was quite comfy.

However, the room was a bit worn. One drawer was missing from the cabinet that the TV was on. The cushion on the chair didn't match the chair - it was obviously from someplace else. I hope that the management upgrades things before my next trip that direction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
South Boston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed with our daughter's ball team this past weekend. The lady that checked us in (I believe her name was Jennifer, not sure though) was extremely nice, very helpful. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was large! Very pleased that there was a refrigerator and microwave in room. We travel a lot and this is not always the case! The pool was very nice, my daughter enjoyed a swim after a long, hot day playing ball! Breakfast was a buffet, it is not anything gourmet if that is what you are expecting but it is a nice, hot meal. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, hash browns and plenty of cereals, breads, fruit and yogurt. Overall we were very pleased with this stay at this hotel and hope to return soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke? Share your experiences!