“Very Nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Salem
Birmingham, Alabama
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We needed a hotel for one night during a road trip. We found Holiday Inn Express in Salem, Va. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Even one of the maids helped to unload our luggage cart. NICE! The room was clean and smelled great. The breakfast food was warm, fresh and plentiful. The breakfast staff spoke to everyone who entered the area and wished them a good day as they left.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times, for both personal and business trips. The staff is always very friendly and helpful, but the decor is a little dated.

A lot of the Holiday Inns that I stay in are fairly dated, this one is no exception. The room itself was fairly large, with a couch and coffee table in addition to the usual furniture. The furniture in the room is visibly older and out of date. The rooms do include mini refrigerators (no freezer) and microwaves. I did enjoy the flat screen TVs, but did not like the fact that the air conditioner would not remain on, even if the fan was set to remain on.

The workout room is extremely dated. I hadn't even gotten to a running pace on the treadmill when I got off because the belt was sticking. None of the other equipment looked enticing, so I ran up and down the stairs for a while...

This hotel does have a full service restaurant and bar, but did offer me free breakfast vouchers for a buffet style (think Holiday Inn Express) breakfast, which they offered on mornings of high occupancy.

The location is very convenient to Salem and Roanoke is not far away either. There is a Food Lion right down the street, a Wal Mart a few minutes away on Main St and several restaurants a short drive away.

This hotel does offer smoking rooms as well.

Overall, I gave it four stars because of the kindness of the staff. It is not a bad place to stay by any means. The rooms were clean and my main gripes are the workout room equipment and the air conditioning that didn't operate as it should.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night on July 13 on our way back home from a funeral in PA. The people are wonderful. However, when I checked in she said "you wanted a smoking room right?" I pointed to the reservation paper she was holding and said "no, see it says non-smoking." Then she said the room assigned to us was smoking. But she changed it immediately. The room is very big and the mattress is comfortable. The Restaurant is good but I don't understand why it's by the pool because while we were eating dinner there were kids screaming. The crab cakes were delicious and HUGE...the size of pancakes! My husband said his ribeye was ok but not the best. We had a few drinks at the bar and the bloody marys were good but small. We had coupons for free breakfast which was hot but they didn't have english muffins and they charged for orange juice, which I found odd. The only bad thing was there was black mold around our tub/shower drain. Other than that it was very clean and we would definitely stay again. It was nice not to have to hunt down a restaurant in the rain!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here overnight on the way to a conference. I had a King room.

Everything worked well and was comfortable. I particularly liked the flat screen TV with regular cable, as opposed to the usual hotel system. The bed was quite comfy.

However, the room was a bit worn. One drawer was missing from the cabinet that the TV was on. The cushion on the chair didn't match the chair - it was obviously from someplace else. I hope that the management upgrades things before my next trip that direction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
South Boston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed with our daughter's ball team this past weekend. The lady that checked us in (I believe her name was Jennifer, not sure though) was extremely nice, very helpful. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was large! Very pleased that there was a refrigerator and microwave in room. We travel a lot and this is not always the case! The pool was very nice, my daughter enjoyed a swim after a long, hot day playing ball! Breakfast was a buffet, it is not anything gourmet if that is what you are expecting but it is a nice, hot meal. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, hash browns and plenty of cereals, breads, fruit and yogurt. Overall we were very pleased with this stay at this hotel and hope to return soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dagsboro, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our family traveled to Roanoke College graduation and my sister had accidentally booked the wrong hotel. The Quality Inn had no elevator which we needed. Mike the regional manager made everything right for us! He upgraded our room to the Holiday Inn for the same price! Even included complimentary breakfasts! Mike was extremely accommodating!
Mike couldn't have been more helpful!! We experienced true Southern Hospitality from everyone at the Quality Inn and everyone at the Holiday Inn.
Hotel was comfortable, clean, convenient. A great stay! Thank You Very Much!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bridgewater
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

..is what saved the one night stay. Beautiful to behold. The rest of the stay very non-exciting and what you can expect from highway hotel. Positives: the room was big although not what I reserved. Clean and comfy beds, good location easy on easy off. Negatives: dinner was fair and had no prep or presentation. It was too late for us to explore so we had little choice. Bar small and loud. While we were eating a curtain rod set up came crashing down off the wall behind us. Pool was way over chlorinated. Fair work out room, only had cardio and some free weights. Breakfast was totally frozen and microwaved- confirmed by wait staff who explained their lack of cooking abilities. Again, what one could expect. Not sure if it was just our luck but we found none of the front desk to be either warm or accommodating. Oh we'll. as I read this probably should get a two star, but again, the fish tank saves it.

Stayed April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear DogfaceJones,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased to read you like our comfortable beds. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide a unique experience to all our guests. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the condition of the facilities, hotel service received and food served. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will afford us another opportunity to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Salem/Roanoke? Share your experiences!