“Slam Dunk” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Salem
Roanoke, Virginia
“Slam Dunk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

When I travel I do not expect the Ritz but I do expect a minimum of cleanliness and consistant accomodations. I usually stay at the Marriotts for this reason because I have never had a bad experience there. I can say the same about this chain. So far I have always gotten what I expected. Really nice clean rooms, comfortable beds and just all around clean and very new and updated conditions. My explerience with this chain, particulary with the price, is absolutely a slam dunk. Except for the interstate or off the trail locations, these are every bit as good as a Marriott.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We were traveling to SC to visited with extended family and decided
to stay at the La Quinta in Salem, VA as a stopover on the way down
and on the way back.
Great accommodations, Clean, Friendly, Good Continental Breakfast with
waffles, sausage biscuits, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels, toast, eggs, pastries
etc.....the lady even made us our waffles.
They except dogs no charge...but it was quiet didn't hear the dogs.
The pool area was nice but since it was only May the water was only 68 degrees
too cold for us. There is nice fitness room, and a computer room with even a
printer.
Everything was just fine!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

If only you knew how anal I am about where I lay my head at night. My husband and I stopped here out of exhaustion were instantly in awe of how CLEAN and neat our room was. I should be a hotel critic because I inspect everything. I honestly could not find one single thing wrong with our room. We will stay here again next time through. Do not hesitate to stay here if you want great service and clean rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

We did our online research of hotels and inns in the area before visiting Virginia. It was because of prior positive reviews that we decided to stay at this Inn. I now want to contribute our experience for others. The room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Many useful amenities in the room. The continental breakfast was above average. The staff was attentive and helpful. We would definitely stay here again. Easy on and off from Interstate 81 at exit 141. Close to supermarket mall.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I travel for business, so I regularly stay at this hotel. It was actually a Baymont Inn before, so I'd been staying there every time I came to the area. When it changed to La Quinta, however, it went downhill in quality. This last visit was the worst, by far, because I woke up multiple times in the middle of the night to sounds of dogs barking....multiple dogs. They were right next door to me, and I could hear them all through the night. In the morning, I was grumpy and had not gotten any sleep. I told the lady at the front desk that I had not had a pleasant stay. She kept saying they can't do anything about the dog owners, and I kept telling her that was not the problem. The PROBLEM was that they should have a designated area for pets. I am allergic to pet dander, and so I feel like I should have been asked if it was okay to put me in a room that had obviously previously been occupied by dogs. I also think they should have put me away from multiple dog owners. It's not the fact that they allow dogs; it's the fact that they haven't yet figured out how to accomodate dog owners AND business travelers who don't want to be woken up all through the night by dog sounds. Making matters even worse, the front desk lady said she would take ten bucks of my bill! And she said it as though she was doing me some hug favor!

A few months ago, I had problems with the air conditioning. I didn't have this problem this last time. But the dogs barking was far worse than no AC.

Stayed November 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

Stayed here while traveling through. Nice place, renovations complete. Nothing wrong with this stay. The staff was quick, attentive, friendly. Great service. The only minor hiccup I had was: went into my non-smoking room and the place obviously was used by a smoker who didn't care about the rules. Informed the management and they reassigned me a true non-smoking room in about 3 nanoseconds. They knew I had a dog and gave me a room on the first floor near the end of the hall where the door is to the outside grass...very nice. Burger king right nearby, close to interstate, the downtown area seemed nice, about 3.5 miles away. Nice place.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Kinda far away from city
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

They still had a few rooms to renovate when we were there August 20, 2008. We heard no noise from workmen until maybe 8 AM and that was minimal. I almost thought this was a brand new hotel the renovation is so complete. Very nice modern furniture – more imaginative than in most hotels. Good size fridge and microwave. Did hear a few footsteps from the room above but only once. Hopefully you won’t have an excessively noisy neighbor.

The bed was very good and the room spotless. The a/c unit quiet. They were a little slow on putting out hardboiled eggs at breakfast so maybe ask the person staffing the breakfast area if you don’t see any. Also a bit slow on replacing yogurt containers. One of the waffle makers was out of order but that is probably fixed. Breakfast is a bit better than just the “expanded continental.” Only a few tables in the breakfast area. I guess you could take it back to your room which is normal size for this type of hotel.

When coming from the interstate their sign is very easy to miss. Just turn right at the first traffic light. There is a large gas station there and follow the road a few hundred feet to the right and you are there.

About a mile farther into the town is a shopping center with a CVS, supermarket, simple but nice restaurant and a gas station that had cheaper gas than the one by the hotel.

I think this would be a good choice unless you are looking for something much more fancy.

• Liked — excellent renovation
  • Disliked — hard to see sign from the road
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem? Share your experiences!