“Shame on Econo Lodge” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 hotels in Salem
The Villages, Florida, United States
“Shame on Econo Lodge”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

When traveling and making one night hotel stays, I don't expect resort type rooms, give me a clean room, decent bedding and linens, and a TV that works. Here we did not receive any of these. Did not get any of the so called amenities, no fridge, no microwave, no coffee in room. We usually travel on overnights with no reservation. We picked the wknd. of VA Tech homecoming, so pickings were slim on that corridor of Rte. 81n, (if traveling on a wknd. In VA during football season, check for availability of a room before stopping.) It was late when we checked in and the hotel had us at a disadvantage. Charged us $90. for a crappy flop house style room. Dirty, smelly, cramped bathroom, had to stand up over toilet to shut door, couldn't stand behind door. Did not try breakfast, got up in the am and got out. Never again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Geneva, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed twice within a weeks time and got the same pet friendly room 135. Carpet was bad in the room.... but that's ok...that's why its good for pets. It was very nice to have a place to welcome the puppy too! The front desk clerk was great and she remembered me and told us that the room had a nice area nearby to walk the dog. Waffles in the morning were delicious. Seems like the workers who were doing the roof also enjoyed breakfast too....odd.... but that's ok! I would return. =) Bathroom is ready for a redo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in to stay overnight and didn't require much. All I needed was a place to shower and crash...that's exactly what I got. Parking right infront of the hotel room made taking bags inside a breeze. Hot shower, microwave, TV, but building is old. But when u get a cheap room in most cases you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Clean room. Clean bed. Hot shower. Fridge/Microwave. A/C. No odors. Perfect for a good night's sleep. EconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodge

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband travels for work and has stayed in more hotels than I can count. Often I accompany him on his trips, and I thought I had seen "bad hotels". No. I had no idea they could be this disgusting. Let me start by saying that I TRIED to give this place the benefit of the doubt. As soon as you walk in the room, you are slapped in the face with the smell of mold and mildew. Ok, so maybe the place is just old, and the AC has been turned off. Doesn't necessarily mean it's dirty.... The carpet was disgusting. Ripped and soiled. The first night we stayed, we found a small spider on the bed. Again, I tried to be positive... Spiders are everywhere - at least it wasn't a cockroach. The next morning I was awakened by a man (an employee) walking into my room while I was asleep! No apologies or anything! And no it wasn't the cleaning crew. I checked. Even the microwave smelled like something had died and been cooked inside of it. A few nights later I found another spider in the sink. The last straw was finding a COCKROACH IN THE BED RIGHT WHERE I WAS SLEEPING!!! I can't tell you how management handled this as they are not in the office overnight, but they WILL be hearing from us. Don't waste your money. The Super 8 across the street looks 10 times better.

• Stayed May 2013
Cape Breton Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stopped here in early May. We were on our way north after a holiday in the southern USA and had used Econolodges on 4 previous occasions during the trip and had been very satisfied. This place was not only the worst by far but also the most expensive by far. The list of problems included what looked like mildew/mold in the bathroom, tiles missing in bathroom. 6" tear in bed quilt. No tea/coffee in room or foyer. Fridge extremely noisy when cycling on/off. Breakfast consisted of stale bagels which the toaster did not even brown, only two choices of cereal and no cream for coffee only powdered stuff. We picked up the comment card in the room make the owners aware of our dissatisfaction only to find it had been partially filled in by a previous occupant complaining of similar things that we had found, it was not signed but we delivered it to the desk the next morning when we checked out. We made our complaints to the clerk at this time,( the owner was not available) Econolodge inspectors need to check this one out, It is not doing the franchise any favors,

Room Tip: If hotel is located by a freeway request a room on the side furthest away: It's generally quiete...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Granite Falls, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you want a clean, attractive place to stay this isn't it. Motel is old. For me the redeeming feature was a door to outside rather than a inside corridor. Rooms had fridge and microwave. According to the Choice Privileges web site where I booked my stay there was a continental breakfast. Don't believe it. Not even a coffee pot in room or lobby. If you want coffee there is a 24 hour waffle house or something similar next door. I got in late and was tired - room was damp and cold. Turned heat on high and finally took covers off bed and slept in my cloths. Soft damp spots in the floor, TV worked but remote didn't and the water in the tub dripped all night even though I tried to turn it off all the way. Toilet flushing was iffy. I had stayed in this place 16-18 years ago and had been snowed in for three days with some friends. We had a great time. This trip managed to remove all good memories of the motel. Thank goodness I still have the friends I was snow bound with and the Shoneys down the road has kept up with the times and is still great. Lots of other motels/hotels on this strip so don't get stuck here.

Room Tip: There are no redeeming features to this motel except if you like a outside door so you don't hav...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!