“Peefectly good place to crash.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
301 Wildwood Road, Salem, VA 24153   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Salem
“Peefectly good place to crash.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Clean room. Clean bed. Hot shower. Fridge/Microwave. A/C. No odors. Perfect for a good night's sleep. EconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodgeEconolodge

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband travels for work and has stayed in more hotels than I can count. Often I accompany him on his trips, and I thought I had seen "bad hotels". No. I had no idea they could be this disgusting. Let me start by saying that I TRIED to give this place the benefit of the doubt. As soon as you walk in the room, you are slapped in the face with the smell of mold and mildew. Ok, so maybe the place is just old, and the AC has been turned off. Doesn't necessarily mean it's dirty.... The carpet was disgusting. Ripped and soiled. The first night we stayed, we found a small spider on the bed. Again, I tried to be positive... Spiders are everywhere - at least it wasn't a cockroach. The next morning I was awakened by a man (an employee) walking into my room while I was asleep! No apologies or anything! And no it wasn't the cleaning crew. I checked. Even the microwave smelled like something had died and been cooked inside of it. A few nights later I found another spider in the sink. The last straw was finding a COCKROACH IN THE BED RIGHT WHERE I WAS SLEEPING!!! I can't tell you how management handled this as they are not in the office overnight, but they WILL be hearing from us. Don't waste your money. The Super 8 across the street looks 10 times better.

• Stayed May 2013
Cape Breton Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stopped here in early May. We were on our way north after a holiday in the southern USA and had used Econolodges on 4 previous occasions during the trip and had been very satisfied. This place was not only the worst by far but also the most expensive by far. The list of problems included what looked like mildew/mold in the bathroom, tiles missing in bathroom. 6" tear in bed quilt. No tea/coffee in room or foyer. Fridge extremely noisy when cycling on/off. Breakfast consisted of stale bagels which the toaster did not even brown, only two choices of cereal and no cream for coffee only powdered stuff. We picked up the comment card in the room make the owners aware of our dissatisfaction only to find it had been partially filled in by a previous occupant complaining of similar things that we had found, it was not signed but we delivered it to the desk the next morning when we checked out. We made our complaints to the clerk at this time,( the owner was not available) Econolodge inspectors need to check this one out, It is not doing the franchise any favors,

Room Tip: If hotel is located by a freeway request a room on the side furthest away: It's generally quiete...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Granite Falls, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you want a clean, attractive place to stay this isn't it. Motel is old. For me the redeeming feature was a door to outside rather than a inside corridor. Rooms had fridge and microwave. According to the Choice Privileges web site where I booked my stay there was a continental breakfast. Don't believe it. Not even a coffee pot in room or lobby. If you want coffee there is a 24 hour waffle house or something similar next door. I got in late and was tired - room was damp and cold. Turned heat on high and finally took covers off bed and slept in my cloths. Soft damp spots in the floor, TV worked but remote didn't and the water in the tub dripped all night even though I tried to turn it off all the way. Toilet flushing was iffy. I had stayed in this place 16-18 years ago and had been snowed in for three days with some friends. We had a great time. This trip managed to remove all good memories of the motel. Thank goodness I still have the friends I was snow bound with and the Shoneys down the road has kept up with the times and is still great. Lots of other motels/hotels on this strip so don't get stuck here.

Room Tip: There are no redeeming features to this motel except if you like a outside door so you don't hav...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I walk into motel and the representative was blasting his personal music on his lap top and doesn't turn it down for us to talk. I asked the rate and he said $49.99 plus tax and hands me a paper to fill out. This form required my name address and phone number (all fine) as well as my drivers life lisense number!? I filled it all out and handed it back. I asked the representative if there was a AAA membership discount and the representative (and I'm not joking) raises his voice and yells "THIS IS THE LOWEST RATE!" I was like ok wow got it thanks. He then asked me for my credit card and says "that will be 59.99" and I go I thought you said 49.99? He goes "plus tax" I'm like really?? but ok whatever... I see that he is not swiping my credit card but writing my credit card # on the paper which includes all of my personal information. It is a known fact that no legitimac BBB business never writes down your credit are info! Its a huge security risk! I asked why he would need to write my credit # down and he said that's just how they do it.L and showed me a pile of orber peoples credit card #'s! I advised him that that is a very poor idea as anyone could break in and steal that info! I immediately asked for my card and that piece of paper back and left. THIS PLACE HAS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ADDITONALLY OPERATES ITS BUSINESS IMORRALLY. DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed December 2012
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here one night in August 2012 the gentlemen who booked my room was so polite and very helpful, the room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. I had driven around all the others were booked or were very expensive this was half what other hotels wanted and I have stayed in others in Blacksburg, I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rutland, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This property had a two star rating, but the rater must have seen it twenty years ago.

When a hotel has people living their year-round, it tells you something.

The place smells, the beds were old, the paint was peeling in the bathroom, and we did not feel safe.

We turned our key in and got a refund, and stayed at a real hotel (quality) down the road.

Do not say here. Period.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!