“Clean but outdated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Inn

You added Econo Inn to your Saves list
Econo Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Wildwood Road, Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Syracuse, New York
“Clean but outdated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The room was cheap enough with the coupon from the motel discount coupon book. It was very outdated. The carpet was worn and faded. Porcelain had scraped off the sink. The shower head was broken, and was stuck on one of the massage settings. Mattresses were hard as a rock, and the pillows were flat as pancakes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dandridge, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed at the Econolodge in Salem Va. over Thanksgiving 2011, we knew that the hotel was older being that we are originally from the Salem area. But I would say that it was as clean if notcleaner than most hotels we have stayed, and the bed was very comfortable, so if you are not looking for all the luzuries and just want a nice place to spend the night this place will do you...

Room Tip: Just pick a non-smoking room even if you smoke as I do, you can go outside and smoke..
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Eastern Shore Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was by far one of the worst motels i have ever stayed in. The pillows were flat, lumpy, and very old. The bed was hard, the comforter was torn. There was NO HOT WATER! We called the front desk to complain about the water, and their response was to wait a few mins.. we waited over 5 mins and the water never warmed up. Everything in this motel was VERY outdated and a waste of money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodstock, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel is neither safe nor clean and should most likely be condemned as a motel property due to numerous safety hazards. The operator of this Econo Lodge apparently does not take any pride in his lodge, nor does he make any effort to keep the facility in good order. He rents out rooms that reek of cigarette smoke and lists the rooms as "Non-smoking" He patched holes in the walls and gaps in the floors in the cheapest method that he possibly can. He hasn't had the carpeting replaced or even cleaned in many years. There was even several cockroaches crawling around this room. We arrived late in the evening and were not up to trying to obtain a refund from the motel as I am sure that we would have been told it was too late to cancel.

The traveling public expects more from a motel/hotel chain than the type of property that this location represents. I have had experience with the Econo Lodge chain and know that this situation occurs across the country in many other locations. It seems that Choice Hotels does not have any pride in their corporate name and reputation or these locations would not have the Econo Lodge name on their signage.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Elbridge, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

my wife and i stayed july 23rd 2010 and again on august 2nd. we found the rooms to be clean and everything was to our liking. not perfect but for a one night layover going south and one night layover coming north we were happy. we would definitely stay here again
if we come that way in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Woodstock, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This hotel is old and in need of some repairs but it was not as bad as some mention in their reviews. Yes, it is not the best, but for the price, it is not one that you should pass by. I probably would choose somewhere else to stay if there for more than one night but it was OK for this trip.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

When I booked my room, the page said that the price included 2 adults and children were free. When I checked in with my boyfriend and my 13 year old son, the desk clerk, whom I had trouble understanding for his heavy accent, charged me another $10 for each night. Instead of the $120 that I was quoted, I was charged $149, and that was with my AAA discount. He was snotty and not very helpful. The day we were to check out, they showed up at my door at 8 am, asking if I was ready to check out. Mind you, check out is by 11 am. When we went to the desk to check out, there was no one there to help us. I had to go find someone to help us. The pillows were nearly flat and were hard, and while the room was decently clean, there are very few amenities. I will be booking a room somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Inn? Share your experiences!