“Don't waste your money.” 1 of 5 stars

Econo Lodge
301 Wildwood Road, Salem, VA 24153   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Eastern Shore Va
“Don't waste your money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was by far one of the worst motels i have ever stayed in. The pillows were flat, lumpy, and very old. The bed was hard, the comforter was torn. There was NO HOT WATER! We called the front desk to complain about the water, and their response was to wait a few mins.. we waited over 5 mins and the water never warmed up. Everything in this motel was VERY outdated and a waste of money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Woodstock, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel is neither safe nor clean and should most likely be condemned as a motel property due to numerous safety hazards. The operator of this Econo Lodge apparently does not take any pride in his lodge, nor does he make any effort to keep the facility in good order. He rents out rooms that reek of cigarette smoke and lists the rooms as "Non-smoking" He patched holes in the walls and gaps in the floors in the cheapest method that he possibly can. He hasn't had the carpeting replaced or even cleaned in many years. There was even several cockroaches crawling around this room. We arrived late in the evening and were not up to trying to obtain a refund from the motel as I am sure that we would have been told it was too late to cancel.

The traveling public expects more from a motel/hotel chain than the type of property that this location represents. I have had experience with the Econo Lodge chain and know that this situation occurs across the country in many other locations. It seems that Choice Hotels does not have any pride in their corporate name and reputation or these locations would not have the Econo Lodge name on their signage.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Elbridge, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

my wife and i stayed july 23rd 2010 and again on august 2nd. we found the rooms to be clean and everything was to our liking. not perfect but for a one night layover going south and one night layover coming north we were happy. we would definitely stay here again
if we come that way in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Woodstock, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

This hotel is old and in need of some repairs but it was not as bad as some mention in their reviews. Yes, it is not the best, but for the price, it is not one that you should pass by. I probably would choose somewhere else to stay if there for more than one night but it was OK for this trip.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

When I booked my room, the page said that the price included 2 adults and children were free. When I checked in with my boyfriend and my 13 year old son, the desk clerk, whom I had trouble understanding for his heavy accent, charged me another $10 for each night. Instead of the $120 that I was quoted, I was charged $149, and that was with my AAA discount. He was snotty and not very helpful. The day we were to check out, they showed up at my door at 8 am, asking if I was ready to check out. Mind you, check out is by 11 am. When we went to the desk to check out, there was no one there to help us. I had to go find someone to help us. The pillows were nearly flat and were hard, and while the room was decently clean, there are very few amenities. I will be booking a room somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR ANYONE TO STAY AT! There are all kinds of health and sanitation issues and the customer service is non-existent!

This hotel has received and F rating with the Better Business Bureau and has had 4 complaints in the past 3 years, NONE of which they have addressed or resolved!!! I have contacted the appropriate parties to address my concerns. I have described our experience with this Econo Lodge below:

My sister's family and our family recently attended my brother's graduation from Virginia Tech and made reservations 9 months in advance. Unfortunately, all we could find was 2 smoking rooms at this Econo Lodge.

While on our way to Virginia Tech on Friday, May 14, we needed to take an exit to use the restroom and we just happened to take the exit to where Econo Lodge is located. After using the restroom, we decided we would just try for an early check-in. I called around 12:30pm and was told that we could do an early check-in and that our rooms were ready for us. Since my brother wanted to show us around campus, we decided to not check into the hotel until that evening after commencement.

Our family and my sister;s family got to the hotel at about 12:30am. When we entered the room...not only was the air saturated with smoke smell (which we expected), but there was also another horrid odor throughout the room. When my mother went to the bathroom she discovered the toilet was full to the brim of human waste, toilet paper, etc. I took a look and contacted the front desk immediately and asked that the bathroom be cleaned. The same gentleman who checked us in came to the room, had no cleaning supplies in hand, took a look at the toilet, and offered my father a refund. My father told him we didn't have any other place to stay and could not make that decision right then. He then went back in to "clean" the bathroom, which meant all he did was flush the toilet and walked out.

Meanwhile, we all were standing outside waiting for the room to be cleaned so we could take our belongings in (my sister had already gone into her room). We waited for a while and then I went back into the room to see if he was still cleaning it or if we could bring our things in. He had left and there was still some leftover human waste in the toilet. I told my father this and he gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and said perhaps he is still cleaning, your mom is hungry (she's a diabetic) and we need to get a bite to eat from Denny's.

We left the room wide open, (since we thought he was still cleaning it), and left to go eat. While at the restaurant, I found a Best Western about an hour away and we booked a room there. When I returned I presented the same front desk individual with our receipt and room keys, told him we got another hotel, and asked for a refund. He flat our refused, told us the room had been checked out for 1 1/2 hrs and he could not give us a refund since he can't rent it out to anyonelse at this time (it was almost as though he was punishing us for finding a room elsewhere). I told him we never even sat on the beds and that he had offered my father a refund and now he was refusing to give it to us? Why? I told him he saw how filthy the bathroom was and offered us a refund, so why the change now? My father demanded a refund as well and he refused and said we could do what we wanted but he was NOT going to give us any kind of refund. He continued to say this even after I told him I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau and the Environmental Health Office.

My sister told me the next day that when she entered her room that evening, the beds looked like they had not even been made, there were cigarette stains on the sheets, the heat was not working--the room was freezing and my niece and nephew could not get to sleep b/c of this, and the faucet knob was not working either. When my sister brought all of these issues to the same gentlemen's attention, all he said was he could come make the beds but he could NOT give her any kind of refund.

I, like every other person on the planet, has had my fair share of bad customer service but this really took the cake. I would never ever recommend staying at this hotel...you're probably better off sleeping in your car!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I were recently traveling to see family when the '09 blizzard hit and we decided we better find a place to stay (unless we wanted to stay in a snowbank on the interstate). We made a call at about 3 in the afternoon and got a reasonable rate at this Econolodge. The check-in was prompt and the room was clean. There was a good selection of tv channels and the hotel featured free wi-fi, which kept us both sane as we ended up being here for two nights. The hotel was within walking distance to a dollar general, Shoneys, Food Lion, Dennys and 2 gas stations - so this made things easier (not having to brave the ice covered roads).

We never ate breakfast at the hotel, but I believe they have some sort of continental breakfast (it was not advertised well). The parking lot for the hotel took a while to get plowed out (as I'm sure everyone was calling for a plow) and we were not able to move our car until 2:30 in the afternoon. The other odd thing was that there weren't any 'do not disturb' signs or ways of gaining the attention of maid-services, besides going down to the office and requesting things (new towels, etc.). So for the 2+ days we were there, no one came and cleaned, restocked, etc. This wasn't a super big deal, but was something I noticed.

All in all, it was a necessary stay - not a lot of frills, but clean and decent if you just need a place to sleep. Easy to find right of the highway with a good location near local businesses.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!