“Simple request not fulfilled” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Salem
Farmingdale, Maine
“Simple request not fulfilled”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The day before our stay I called and requested that housekeeping spray my our room with nothing because I am acutely allergic to fragrances and chemical sprays. When we walked into out room it was highly scented. Obviously my request was not fulfilled and I trusted that it would be. After checking eight other rooms I finally found one I could stay in. I was told they didn't even have a room purifier in the hotel. While staying here I checked my credit card on the computer and found the hotel had put a $2.50 charge on it. I asked the front desk what that was for and she said she had no idea. Looks to me as though the employees here need training. Due to lack of trust I will never make another reservation here. My health is important to me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
First of all our goal is to satisfy 100% of the customers that choose to stay with us. Unfortunately we did not meet your needs. I would like to say that your reservation did not come through our system until the day of your arrival after housekeeping already cleaned. They do use chemicals to kill any bacteria or viruses in the room. Our housekeeping staff would gladly have cleaned your room with hot water if we had ample time to do so. We hope in the future you give us a second chance with the proper amount of time. We do have guest that stay with us very frequently with the same requests and they have never had an issue. I'm truly sorry this happened.

Thanks!

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is my "go to" hotel when in the area. Staff always friendly. Room always spacious, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast always fresh and plentiful. Indoor pool is inviting especially the Jacuzzi. The only change I have an issue with over the last few years is the fitness room, although still well-equipped, used to have a universal weight machine which has now been replaced by a free weight bench/weights. I personally prefer a universal weight machine and I'm surprised as a free weight system is much more dangerous for kids of all ages. Just my opinion; however this more than likely will not deter me from continuing to stay here when in town as overall the hotel scores an "excellent" rating with me :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you so much for the rave review. We can't wait to see you soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were visiting VA Tech and all the hotels in Blacksburg and Christiansburg were sold out, so we stayed here (November 15, 2013). After getting ready for bed, we pulled back the covers and saw that the sheets were either stained or soiled. Disgusting. When we called down to the front desk and asked them to send someone up with new sheets, the young woman who answered sounded very hesitant and anxious about bringing them up (I think she was the only one on duty). I went down to the front desk, where she was helping another guest. She gave me a stack of sheets, and I brought them up myself. Unfortunately, the fitted sheet didn’t even fit the bed, but she had given us several top sheets so we made the bed up with those. There were other housekeeping problems—the sink had some stray hairs when we arrived, and there was a coverlet on the bed that had lots of hairs on it. .

It’s unfortunate because this hotel has a lot going for it. It’s conveniently right off the highway. The lobby looks very clean and the whole hotel smells fresh. The bathroom is spacious, and they had some nice touches— towels folded in a pretty design, a little “rubber duckie”, and they give you a shower cap with the toiletries.

The free breakfast has two things that are a step up from what I normally see at this type of hotel: whole fresh fruit (apples and oranges) instead of that mixed fruit from a jar, and hard boiled eggs. They also have the typical items such as toast, muffins, hot and cold cereal, yogurt, bacon and instant eggs, and one of those waffle irons where you can pour your own batter.

Regardless, I would not recommend staying here due to the serious problems with housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I'm terribly sorry about your stay with us. I can assure you this is not a norm for our hotel. We take these issues very seriously and I can assure you that these will be addressed immediately. I do understand if you don't want to give us another try but I can assure you if you do these matters will not be of a concern for you.

Thanks,
Ashley
Taylors
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

When traveling with my family, we always stay at Comfort Suites, because we can put our entire family of 7 in one room. Three young kids fit nicely in the queen bed and the other two on the comfortable pull-out couch. Just wish they had told us upon check-in that we had to come back to the desk to get linens, as most CS stock the extras in the closet. No big deal, just a suggestion.

Excellent breakfast with fresh fruit and bread products, plus eggs, bacon, waffles, yoghurt, and more. Free USA today paper. Rooms very clean. Staff all seemed happy, competent, and professional. Nice pool. Lots of room to put luggage. Desk very suitable. Free Wi-Fi very fast. Most hotels either have poor wi-fi or good but costly wi-fi. Nice lighting. Lobby looks like an upscale hotel. Desk clerk very helpful for having so many things to do at once. It was her time to shine (in the midst of pulling her hair out once it settled down, I'm sure). Fresh cookies and coffee in lobby even late at night.

More than satisfied. Will return for sure. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you so much for letting us know how wonderful your stay was with us. I will let the front desk clerk read this so she knows how great she was. We hope you come stay with us again as we loving you with us.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We recently spent a week in this hotel while vising out family in Salem. The rooms are clean and spacious with a refrigerator add microwave. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The night we arrived all the ice machines were broke, so the front desk attendant went into the breakfast kitchen and got ice for everyone that requested ice. The breakfast is the standard fare but well stocked and maintained throughout the breakfast time. Once night during our stay a large group of children and families were there for a baseball event. The boys were running up and down the hall and making noise and again, the front desk attendant addressed the matter pleasantly with the boys in the hall. The only complaint we had was that the ice machine on our floor was broke the entire stay. The first floor ice machine was fixed the very next day. The hotel is very conveniently located near the interstate. The afternoon cookies are great and the free WIFI is a definite plus. This is the third time we have stayed here and will continue the tradition when we visit the family in VA!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. I'm sorry the ice machine was down during your stay. We have resolved the issue for future guests. We can't wait to have you come back. We love having guests like you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here recently with family in order to tour Roanoke College. It is a great, convenient location for the college. Just a short 2mile drive away. Room was very spacious, clean and updated. The bathrooms was also spacious, but there was an issue with having hot water. There was none after the first person got theirs. Also walls in the bathroom area quite thin -- I could hear ever word the person in the room next door was saying. Breakfast had a good selection and was replenished often, however the area is kind of small. As there was also a Tech home game the same weekend, it was very crowded and difficult to find somewhere to sit and enjoy breakfast. Front desk personnel were very friendly and cordial. Overall it was a lovely one night stay, and will definitely consider staying here again when next in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Well maintained hotel. You would never know it is 5 years old. Rooms are up to the new Choice Hotel Standards with their new bedding. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast Bar is standard fair with no extras. I would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for the encouragement. I will share with everything. We truly appreciate your time and value your feedback!!

Been to Comfort Suites Salem? Share your experiences!