“Somewhat Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Salem
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Somewhat Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I expected more from this hotel. They were all little things but they added up. They have very few handicapped parking spots. When we went to breakfast, there were no eggs and they said it would be 10 minutes before any were ready. It was actually closer to 15 minutes. Overall the room was clean and well maintained. The flat screen TV offered no HD channels. There were only poorly formatted SD channels. Anything running across the bottom of the screen could not be viewed because of the formatting., If I had it to do over again, I'd probably check the hotels in Roanoke which is only a few miles from Salem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I am so sorry that you experienced those issues. I can assure you that this is not the norm for us. We had a rush at breakfast and did our best to keep up. Sorry that things took longer than expected. The tv has been properly formatted now and did not realize it was not. We hope you give us another try to make things right.

Thanks!

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Comfort Suites is becoming my "go to" hotel. The one in Salem, VA was no different. Room was big, clean and looked brand new. My receipt was under the door and breakfast was hot and ready. Not sure if it was because of my military reservation, but they left a camouflage wearing rubber duckie on the tub, presented on the top of the folded towels. Nice touch!

• Stayed July 2013
cssalem, Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the rave review. We truly appreciate your feedback. We love that this is going to be your "go to" hotel chain. Thanks for stopping by and hope you do so again!

Thanks,
Ashley Likens
Shenandoah, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

So it;s not perfect....Some of the staff I think also played a horror movie. The room was clean. They even gave me a little rubber ducky for the jacuzzi. I will stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on June 28th. We arrived late in the evening and got in our room and went to bed. We had a comfortable sleep. When we woke in the morning, we went to use the toilet. We lifted the toilet seat and noticed immediately that the back of the toilet seat was badly stained with urine. The part of the toilet seat you sit on was damaged and chunks of the toilet seat were missing and it was extremely scratched up. We had to go bad so we lined the toilet seat and the inside back of the toilet seat with ALOT of toilet paper before using it. I could not believe how bad this toilet seat was. It was filthy and damaged and should of been replaced a long time ago. It was the worse toilet seat I have ever seen on a hotel toilet. When I went to check out at the front desk I spoke with Justin and advised him of the situation with the toilet seat and how it needed to be replaced immediately because it was that bad. He told me that they already knew it was that bad. He said they had a repair request into maintenance for MANY WEEKS. I asked him, you knew it was that bad and you all still rent the room to people? Justin said yep. I asked him why doesn't the hotel fix it then. He said, "well there have been many repair requests to maintenance." I then told him you would think after many weeks, that you would have maintenance go down to walmart and spend $12 on a toilet seat and replace it but instead you all continue to rent a room that you know has a filthy urine strained damaged toilet seat? Justin said yep. I said why is that, and then Justin walked away.

THIS HOTEL KNOWS THAT IT HAS GOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN THIS ROOM AND THEY CHOOSE TO TRY TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER SIT ON URINE.

And as for Justin at the front desk, he is a pathetic excuse for an employee. If they ever replace the toilet seat, they should give it to Justin to take home so he can put it on his toilet since he sees nothing wrong with asking other people to sit on it.

Customer Service failed in EVERY WAY. They were aware of a serious problem, did nothing about it, told the customer to deal with their failure, and lastly, have the I don't care attitude.

Room Tip: Ask them if they are renting you the room with the damaged urine stained toilet seat.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
detroit, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived in the evening; stayed one night. The room was great. Clean. Good size bathroom; shower had a bench in it. The bed was comfortable. Big seating area with a couch and desk. Pool area was clean and empty at 8 a.m. Power was out due to a storm so the wifi didn’t work at first. Good continental breakfast in the morning – waffles, bagels, cereal, coffee, etc.

I would stay here again. I do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

stayed here during a weekend getaway, hotel was helpful with early check in as I called in advance the day of travel to request, room was nice and clean, however weekend desk clerk was clueless on all counts, no name badge, eating when first approached with a mouthful of fast food, felt it was more important to take a bite of his food then to address me when I approached Justin at front desk, no smile, no personality, even throughout my weekend stay as often as I have spoken to him to ask about restaurants, and mall dirctions, he choose to ignore me when we crossed paths rather than say hello or goodmorning. Breakfast was good, although water pitcher at food service area was dirty as it had food particles floating in the bottom of it, all in all not a bad stay, would choose it again when in the area, but justin needs to find a new career,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Room had plenty of space. Beds were comfortable. Sheets were clean. Bathroom well-lit and well-stocked. Seating area very spacious. Desk area with extra outlets and oversized work space. A/C worked very well. Staff extremely pleasant and accomodating. We travel with insulin which needs to be kept cool. We were unsure about the accuracy of the fridge in the room. If a water bottle freezes, no harm. If insulin freezes, it's big bucks. Staff gladly kept the insulin in a secure, refrigerated area and they went to the trouble to wrap and label it! Breakfast was good and hot. Super value for this room using the coupon from the booklets at the VA Welcome Center. Superb Mexican restaurant right next store.

Room Tip: Get the coupon from the VA Welcome Center booklets and save a bundle!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
cssalem, General Manager at Comfort Suites Salem, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. We love hearing that from our customers! We hope if you are ever traveling through the area again we will see you!

Thanks,
Ashley Likens

Been to Comfort Suites Salem? Share your experiences!