“Good people, declining building, excellent service.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Salem
Greenrier County, West Virginia
“Good people, declining building, excellent service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Couldn't ask for nicer employees. Hotel is very quiet; you don't hear noise from other rooms unless in a hallway. Coin operated washer and dryer for wardrobe emergencies. High priced vending machines. Good free breakfast. Conveniently located near a Kroger. Building needs maintenance work.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed here b/c we attended a funeral in town. Was overpriced for the quality of the room; we got a semi-suite. The room was run down & dirty. Mold on the ceiling in the bathroom & carpet was dirty (in corners). The single fabric chair in the room had a stain on it~gross! The beds were incredibly uncomfortable and the bathroom was very dated. For $135 night in Salem I'd expect a lot more. I wouldn't stay any longer than a single night at this hotel. Breakfast was fine & plentiful. I must say the staff was excellent; helpful & polite.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Columbiana, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Check in was easy, Staff very nice. Room was very roomy and clean. The beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean also. The breakfast was good. We were only there one night. We were very satisfied.

• Liked — Convienence to sporting event
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I spent a week at this hotel while on business. Given the close proximity to the workplace and a shopping plaza down the hill, I survived the whole week without a car. The room is clean with a fridge and microwave. The HD TV, comes with full cable service is terrific. Breakfast is great with a wide variety of selections. The hotel has an outdoor pool, but unfortunately this is Dec. Exercise room is a bit small, and equipment is not functioning perfectly. The yogurt served in the breakfast area, has Best Before date expired already.

• Liked — good breakfast
  • Disliked — indoor over outdoor pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

To start with, I arrived with confirmation number in hand. I work for a company that makes my reservations in advance on a company credit card. Since the card is in my boss’s name, they had to have a fax sent with his approval. This was done in advanced but some how they didn’t have it. So, my administrative assistance sent another copy of the same fax. The funny thing is she signed her name where my boss would sign and they didn’t even catch it. They made a big deal out of it. Next, I had a king size room reserved and I get double beds. So, I talk to the lady at the front disk and she informs me that they didn’t have any king beds. I end up going back to the room and decided to take a shower. Well, the hot water didn’t even work. I ended up getting another room with a flat screen TV, which I had to program the channels. The room was not clean. You could see that housekeeping just cleans around things, since there was dust and other people’s hair in all the corners. Since my stay here, my company has taking this place off of the list of places to stay.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Hot tub did not work
TV was missing 48 of 58 channels
No ironing board
Leaking ceiling in bathroom
Heat lamp did not work
Key card lock was turned off at side entrance
Questionable to call the rooms suites

The first thing I noticed was that the outdoor hot tub had a cover over on it and stayed that way for the 3 days I was at the hotel. It seemed strange that it was not temporarily out of service but either they did not bother to have it repaired or not did not want to deal with maintaining it. It is possible to note this on the hotel's website and it seems like false advertising.
Next when I went to my room there were 2 TV's. One was not plugged in and the other only got 10 of the 60 channels listed on the channel guide. The room also did not have an ironing board or iron. I told the front desk about the problem and I was moved to another room.
In the 2nd room the sound of dripping coming from the bathroom woke me up at 4:30 am. I noticed there was water dripping from the ceiling and the bathroom floor was all wet. The ceiling looked damaged as if this had been going on for a while but had not been fixed. I left for work in the morning and when I returned in the afternoon I told them that the ceiling leaked. They said the hotel was full and I could not change rooms that night but I could on the next night. I do not believe this because I did not see enough people in the hotel for it to be completely booked.
In addition to this the heat lamp in the bathroom did not work. The side entrance to the first floor did not require key card which seems like a security problem. I was concerned since my room was about 5 doors down from this entrance.
The rooms were large but I dont think they qualify as suites. The Holiday Inn in the Salem has rooms that are about the same size with sofas but not called suites. These rooms do not have a separate room in addition to the bedroom. Typically that is a suite.
Overall this hotel seemed like it was nice when it was newer but had not been maintained by the management. It has the potential to be a nice place if repairs are made but I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

stayed here 2 nights during an area power outage. good hotel overall as is the area, but I was told by a front desk employee that she was putting me in a suite after I told her I was traveling with a family of 4. The room was NOT a suite, just a large room. couldnt move as the property was sold out. Don't be decieved by the "all suites" claim.

• Liked — breakfast and cleanliness of hotel
  • Disliked — lack of honesty about room type
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm? Share your experiences!