“Mediocre with Great Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Salem
Richmond, Virginia
“Mediocre with Great Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. For an over night stay and a price of $79, it provided all the necessary things. It's quiet, the waters hot, the check in lady is nice and they have a decent breakfast (doughnuts, cereal, bagels, yogurt and some hot sausage). They allow pets, but on a separate floor from non pet rooms so that is good. Apparently they have an outdoor
Pool and a small gym, though I used neither so can't make comments on that other than they exist.

However, if you are a I need a pristine hotel type person, this won't work for you. The chair had a bit of paint peeling, the carpets were clean but could stand to be replaced, the shower curtain had that kind of funny cheap hotel scent and other little things like that. Not enough to keep me from staying again, but enough for other people for sure.

Overall, it's a clean, decent hotel for a solid price near the hospital, Kroger and Brandon Oaks Retirement home. If you just need a place to sleep and watch some tv, I would recommend it.

Stayed December 2013

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over Thanksgiving through the weekend and were quite happy with this hotel. It has been renovated and the rooms that were previously getting a bit worn and now fresh and clean. There is an ample free breakfast and free Wi-Fi and the hotel is convenient to shopping, restaurants and movie theaters. The check-in and check-out were quick and in between we were always greeted by any staff we encountered with a friendly hello.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Salem, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed at Comfort Suites for 2 and a half months and I have no complaints whatsoever. The entire staff was always very pleasant and very accommodating. From the front desk people to the breakfast ladies, to the ones driving the shuttles, up to the people making the rooms. They made my stay very homey and warm. I did not get a chance to interact with the manager but just getting to know the staff and seeing how they are is in itself a reflection of their manager. So... Fantastic Job!!!

Relatives came to visit and found the place really pleasant with a nice view to boot.

Rooms were nice and cozy and had everything you needed, a tv, hot iron, air-conditioning that worked like a charm, refrigerator, hair dryer... And if you ever forgot your razor or toothpaste, you could request it at the front desk.

They have a gym, laundry room, a pool, an outdoor Jacuzzi and they also allow pets.

Towels and toiletries were replaced daily. Beds were made neatly everytime.

So if you are ever in Salem, this would be a nice place to stay.

Thanks for the wonderful experience, and if I ever get sent to Salem again I'll ask my employer to send me back to Comfort Suites!

Room Tip: If you like a room/a suite, and if you've got some spare cash get room 322. It has its own livin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I took a contract job in Salem VA.Before my apartment was ready I spent two wonderful weeks living at the Comfort Inn in Salem VA. The hotel was physically close to my work and to a local shopping center. That didm't matter, though, the hotel provided a shuttle that took me to work, out to eat and even out for shopping. As a non-driver this was fantastic!

It is the staff to which I owe particular thanks. The staff was constantly kind, attentive and courteous. I formed friendships with at least three of the staff with whom I still exchange greetings.

The room was eel kep considering I was there for a prolonged period. Halls were clean and neat. Gust laundry was clean.I'm sorry I missed the hot tub, but it had closed down for the season,

Room Tip: I preferred the ground (2nd) floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Burke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed one night on my way down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The room was just fine. Bed was very comfortable and and room was very clean. Bathroom was fine as well.

Based on the very few cars in the parking lot, I suspect the hotel wasn't very full, which might have been a contributing factor for breakfast, which was unacceptable. There were only a few tiny pancakes and half a strip of bacon and it was only 8:30 AM. Plus, I didn't see anyone attending to the breakfast area. Otherwise, my choices were a selection of dough nuts. I left and went to a nearby Pancake house for breakfast.

On a minor note, the decor of the room itself was just fine, but the decor of the hallways, in my opinion - is just plain ugly. Not a big deal though.

I would probably look elsewhere next time I'm staying in the area. If a hot breakfast if offered, I expect there to be an adequate hot breakfast. They failed here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Fort Ashby, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I worked in Salem for almost a year. Stayed here at Comfort Suites 3 nights a week during the length of the project. The staff here was amazing. The sweet breakfast lady always made sure I had everything I needed and wanted. Emily, who works behind the front desk in the evenings was always pleasant, friendly and patient (my work schedule changed week to week and at times very confusing). Cleaning staff did not disappoint. They were always laughing, had positive attitudes and did a fantastic job. Gabrielle, hotel manager, was professional and caring. She went out of her way to make sure she asked me how my day was and if I needed anything. Ok, on to price. They gave me a excellent rate because of my length of stay. But with the cleanliness, friendliness and location of this hotel, I would chose to stay here at full price over others in the area. I stay out of town on a regular basis and this hotel has been one of the best! Rooms are adequate and lack nothing. I have almost stayed in every room in the hotel and they are all in good condition. They have a snack corner behind the front shelf that is always stocked and has just about any item that you may crave. overall, this hotel and staff went above and beyond my expectations the year I stayed with them. I can honestly say I miss my home away from home.

Room Tip: Better view of the city from rooms on the back side of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I wrote an earlier review of this hotel, in which I mentioned it being overpriced. I retracted that review and am now writing this one, because we paid $119, not $150. I would say it's still a tad pricey for Salem, VA, but not horrible. The hotel was a mixed bag for me, but mostly positive. Some of the staff members were very friendly and helpful, and some seemed like they couldn't care less. The location is good and safe, right off I-81, and fairly close to many stores and restaurants. The lobby is modern, and far more attractive than most. The room was very nice, with a half-wall partition between the bed area and the rest of the suite. The A/C worked much better than some, including many higher priced hotels in bigger cities, and A/C is a biggie for me. The bed and pillows were excellent. The bathroom was very nice, with a large and powerful shower head that was much better than the shower head of the hotel I had stayed in the previous week in Las Vegas. The complimentary breakfast was mediocre, but the coffee was better than most and was offered beyond the breakfast hours. Parking was somewhat limited in the front, but there is parking in the back, but that area is very secluded and didn't seem nearly as safe as the front. All in all, it was a mixed bag, as many hotels are, but it was mostly positive for this traveler.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm? Share your experiences!