“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Charlotte, NC
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I took a contract job in Salem VA.Before my apartment was ready I spent two wonderful weeks living at the Comfort Inn in Salem VA. The hotel was physically close to my work and to a local shopping center. That didm't matter, though, the hotel provided a shuttle that took me to work, out to eat and even out for shopping. As a non-driver this was fantastic!

It is the staff to which I owe particular thanks. The staff was constantly kind, attentive and courteous. I formed friendships with at least three of the staff with whom I still exchange greetings.

The room was eel kep considering I was there for a prolonged period. Halls were clean and neat. Gust laundry was clean.I'm sorry I missed the hot tub, but it had closed down for the season,

Room Tip: I preferred the ground (2nd) floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Burke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed one night on my way down the Blue Ridge Parkway. The room was just fine. Bed was very comfortable and and room was very clean. Bathroom was fine as well.

Based on the very few cars in the parking lot, I suspect the hotel wasn't very full, which might have been a contributing factor for breakfast, which was unacceptable. There were only a few tiny pancakes and half a strip of bacon and it was only 8:30 AM. Plus, I didn't see anyone attending to the breakfast area. Otherwise, my choices were a selection of dough nuts. I left and went to a nearby Pancake house for breakfast.

On a minor note, the decor of the room itself was just fine, but the decor of the hallways, in my opinion - is just plain ugly. Not a big deal though.

I would probably look elsewhere next time I'm staying in the area. If a hot breakfast if offered, I expect there to be an adequate hot breakfast. They failed here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Fort Ashby, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I worked in Salem for almost a year. Stayed here at Comfort Suites 3 nights a week during the length of the project. The staff here was amazing. The sweet breakfast lady always made sure I had everything I needed and wanted. Emily, who works behind the front desk in the evenings was always pleasant, friendly and patient (my work schedule changed week to week and at times very confusing). Cleaning staff did not disappoint. They were always laughing, had positive attitudes and did a fantastic job. Gabrielle, hotel manager, was professional and caring. She went out of her way to make sure she asked me how my day was and if I needed anything. Ok, on to price. They gave me a excellent rate because of my length of stay. But with the cleanliness, friendliness and location of this hotel, I would chose to stay here at full price over others in the area. I stay out of town on a regular basis and this hotel has been one of the best! Rooms are adequate and lack nothing. I have almost stayed in every room in the hotel and they are all in good condition. They have a snack corner behind the front shelf that is always stocked and has just about any item that you may crave. overall, this hotel and staff went above and beyond my expectations the year I stayed with them. I can honestly say I miss my home away from home.

Room Tip: Better view of the city from rooms on the back side of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I wrote an earlier review of this hotel, in which I mentioned it being overpriced. I retracted that review and am now writing this one, because we paid $119, not $150. I would say it's still a tad pricey for Salem, VA, but not horrible. The hotel was a mixed bag for me, but mostly positive. Some of the staff members were very friendly and helpful, and some seemed like they couldn't care less. The location is good and safe, right off I-81, and fairly close to many stores and restaurants. The lobby is modern, and far more attractive than most. The room was very nice, with a half-wall partition between the bed area and the rest of the suite. The A/C worked much better than some, including many higher priced hotels in bigger cities, and A/C is a biggie for me. The bed and pillows were excellent. The bathroom was very nice, with a large and powerful shower head that was much better than the shower head of the hotel I had stayed in the previous week in Las Vegas. The complimentary breakfast was mediocre, but the coffee was better than most and was offered beyond the breakfast hours. Parking was somewhat limited in the front, but there is parking in the back, but that area is very secluded and didn't seem nearly as safe as the front. All in all, it was a mixed bag, as many hotels are, but it was mostly positive for this traveler.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mechanicsville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Fri night - the desk help seemed to be away more than on. The décor is up-to-date in varying shades of everything. Kroeger market is just down the hill. there is an outdoor pool and hot tub. No work-out center. Usual good hot breakfast bar.

My only complaint is about the loveseat in our suite - sagged in the middle quite a bit.
The bedding was warm and comfy and their heat/AC unit worked like a champ.

Room Tip: Rooms beginning with the number 3 (for instance 379) are on the top floor, which is the 2nd floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
csridgewood, General Manager at Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We will be using this information to continue to create enjoyable experiences for each of our guests. I invite you to experience our exercise room that is located on the first floor of our facility, ground level with the pool. We have recently updated the area and our equipment with a treadmill, free weights, and much more! We hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My family stayed at this comfort suites in mid August. The hotel itself was in pretty good condition but the rooms were definitely a disappointment. The entire first floor smells musty and of mold, the laundry area had "flooded" so the carpet was wet and my daughter actually slipped and fell once because of it. The rooms weren't in bad condition, but not what we were expecting from a choice hotel. One positive factor was the front desk attendant, Kara, who took great care of us and was extremely friendly and accommodating. We needed some extra sheets and towels and she gladly brought them down to our room. She also always had a smile on her face and initiated conversation with my family and I. Overall our stay wasn't fantastic, but customer service comes a long way in this time of day!

• Stayed August 2013
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the quality of our first floor on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with maintenance and housekeeping to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Salem.

Kind Regards,

Oviedo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My room was very nice and was clean. The staff are friendly and the Breakfast is good too. My only complaint is that they offer a free shuttle service but non was available during my 14 day stay. Since they advertise this service on their web site it is false. I had to pay money for Taxi's since there isn't much near this hotel.

The reason for no shuttle was the lady had injured her foot?? no back up person available and the shuttle vehicle sat doing nothing for 14 days in the parking lot- not acceptable when you promote this

Room Tip: get on the top floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we have used the feedback you provided to make improvements to our shuttle services. I am happy to announce the shuttle is now available permanently during the hours advertised (6AM to 10PM).

Gabrielle Liegey

Been to Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm? Share your experiences!