“Very comfortable. Great Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Carrollton, Virginia
“Very comfortable. Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights because I had to go to Roanoke to take the bar exam. The hotels down near the Convention center were all booked, so I made reservations at Hampton Inn because I've always had good experiences there. I was not disappointed. The great breakfast every day made it so easy to eat before I had to go to the exam. It was not too far of a drive to get to the Convention center once I figured out the directions. And it was very nice to come back to the comfy hotel after each day of the exam and relax in a nice place. There are also cookies in the kitchen area every day. The bed was comfortable, the room was great, the staff was very nice. Wifi in rooms. I was happy with it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed one night in route back home. Stopped late at night and were received warmly. The room was very well worn, too well worn for my tastes. I stay at a lot of Hamptons and recognize that some are aging but you can overcome that with cleanliness. We didn't feel the room was terribly clean. My wife found hairs on the bed spread and the bathroom had an odor. I had reserved a one room suite with a sofa bed for our 2 kids (12 and 11). The sofabed was really only a love seat with enough room for 1 so we had to improvise our sleeping arrangements. This is probably semantics but it would be nice if that was clarified on the website. The toilet didn't flush well and at one point almost overflowed with no good reason if you know what I mean. All in all, we didn't enjoy the stay but I do want to compliment the staff that served breakfast. One lady in particular (I wish we had her name) complimented my wife our on kids and wished us well. Her kind words were a great sendoff. Unfortunately, until things are a little cleaner and maybe some renovations are done, I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
rockville md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed for four nights to attend a family funeral. We were very happy with the cleanliness of the hotel, the decor, breakfast and the very pleasant staff. The beds were very comfortable and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
julietgolf616
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We arrived at the Inn after a long day drive and the hotel was very accommodating and comfortable! We still had a long drive to California and this was our first stop. Thank you for our home away from home!

• Stayed May 2009
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Nothing special with this hotel, a little old. Had a swimming pool, but not in use and all messed up. Staff are ok. Right next to restaurants and grocery stores. Got a room with a very noisy fridge!! Everything is a bit old, ready for an upgrade. Continental breakfast was ok.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Great place! Friendly staff, easy check in, clean rooms. The best place to stay when you are in the Blueridge area.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Lacey, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

The Hampton Inn- Salem on Electric Rd. is a few miles from the highway and located right next to a hospital, which is incredibly convenient if you happen to have family there or need to recovery near by. The hotel looks great from the outside and the lobby area is very welcoming. There is a nice stone courtyard and large indoor breakfast area. However, the hotel definitely shows its age.

Check-in
Went fine. They didn't acknowledge my status, was just kind of here is your key, there's the elevator. They were nice, don't get me wrong, just didn't make me feel all that special.

Room
Once you see the doors you know the hotel is a bit old. Is that very dark old wood with very dark brass handle. The room has a huge bathroom, however mine smelled incredibly mildewy. It actually made the entire room smell. The dark carpet seemed clean enough, but not that nice softer clean feeling, just vacuumed kind of clean.

The bed had ample pillows (poly and feather) and the room featured a standard TV (with decent channels and closed caption). There was also a mini-fridge which is nice for longer stays. Room also had a desk (with ample outlets), chair and sofa. The room size was more than adequate for one person, furniture was a bit dated, but fine. The iron was new (which I really do appreciate) and ironing board was fine. Closet had more than enough hangers and spare blanket (however it wasn't fully zipped- the packaging around it was ripped open). The walls are a bit thin. I clearly could hear my next door neighbors talking, however I really didn't hear much TV noise.

The bathroom is where my complaints come in. Like I said, it smelled very heavy of mildew. There were more than a few hairs in the tub and some of the tiles were cracked. The bathroom itself was a big size, but had a weird layout. Just seemed like it could have been configured a bit better. Towels were fine, they give you a good amount of soap, shampoo and conditioner, but I just generally didn't get that clean feeling you want in a hotel bathroom. I ended up closing the door so the smell didn't get into the room. I called the front desk and they offered for me to come down there and get some Febreeze (again, in other hotels, they would have brought this up for you, but what can I say). I had some Bath and Body Works spray with me, so used that.

The non-smoking corridor I was in smelled heavily of smoke in the hallway. Someone was definitely smoking. Luckily not too much of it got into my room.

Other
There was a very nice outdoor pool that may have a view of the mountains (it was high up enough, but can't say for sure). The breakfast bar was fine, different cereals, a few hot items, etc. They also have a business center with a printer. There is free high-speed that worked quite well.

Overall
I know the hotel is doing some renovations, I'm really hoping they do, as this hotel could be so much better with some renovations to the rooms. Location is okay if you need to be more in the heart of Salem as opposed to right off the interstate. For the cost was a fine value, just definitely needs some updating.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke/Salem? Share your experiences!