“This is how it is suppose to be!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Salem
North Carolina
“This is how it is suppose to be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Great place! Friendly staff, easy check in, clean rooms. The best place to stay when you are in the Blueridge area.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lacey, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

The Hampton Inn- Salem on Electric Rd. is a few miles from the highway and located right next to a hospital, which is incredibly convenient if you happen to have family there or need to recovery near by. The hotel looks great from the outside and the lobby area is very welcoming. There is a nice stone courtyard and large indoor breakfast area. However, the hotel definitely shows its age.

Check-in
Went fine. They didn't acknowledge my status, was just kind of here is your key, there's the elevator. They were nice, don't get me wrong, just didn't make me feel all that special.

Room
Once you see the doors you know the hotel is a bit old. Is that very dark old wood with very dark brass handle. The room has a huge bathroom, however mine smelled incredibly mildewy. It actually made the entire room smell. The dark carpet seemed clean enough, but not that nice softer clean feeling, just vacuumed kind of clean.

The bed had ample pillows (poly and feather) and the room featured a standard TV (with decent channels and closed caption). There was also a mini-fridge which is nice for longer stays. Room also had a desk (with ample outlets), chair and sofa. The room size was more than adequate for one person, furniture was a bit dated, but fine. The iron was new (which I really do appreciate) and ironing board was fine. Closet had more than enough hangers and spare blanket (however it wasn't fully zipped- the packaging around it was ripped open). The walls are a bit thin. I clearly could hear my next door neighbors talking, however I really didn't hear much TV noise.

The bathroom is where my complaints come in. Like I said, it smelled very heavy of mildew. There were more than a few hairs in the tub and some of the tiles were cracked. The bathroom itself was a big size, but had a weird layout. Just seemed like it could have been configured a bit better. Towels were fine, they give you a good amount of soap, shampoo and conditioner, but I just generally didn't get that clean feeling you want in a hotel bathroom. I ended up closing the door so the smell didn't get into the room. I called the front desk and they offered for me to come down there and get some Febreeze (again, in other hotels, they would have brought this up for you, but what can I say). I had some Bath and Body Works spray with me, so used that.

The non-smoking corridor I was in smelled heavily of smoke in the hallway. Someone was definitely smoking. Luckily not too much of it got into my room.

Other
There was a very nice outdoor pool that may have a view of the mountains (it was high up enough, but can't say for sure). The breakfast bar was fine, different cereals, a few hot items, etc. They also have a business center with a printer. There is free high-speed that worked quite well.

Overall
I know the hotel is doing some renovations, I'm really hoping they do, as this hotel could be so much better with some renovations to the rooms. Location is okay if you need to be more in the heart of Salem as opposed to right off the interstate. For the cost was a fine value, just definitely needs some updating.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at this HI on our way to Atlanta. We were not going to stop but due to an accident and holdup on the highway, we had to make last minute reservations at this HI. (I thought this property was right off I-81. It is in-town Salem, about 5 miles from the highway. I called the HI reservation line and they refused to switch my reservation to another hotel because it was after 6 p.m. I will deal with that issue separately with HI)
This hotel is okay. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite on the 6th floor. the room was older and not as impressive as the newer HI properties. But, the bedroom is very very large and the bathroom was nice. The kitchen was not full size like other properties and the living room was very small. The furniture was older but well kept. That pretty much describes the entire property. Older but well kept. The room was always very clean.

Breakfast was very good and the woman working the breakfast was extremely pleasant.

All in all, this was a trustworthy choice!

Stayed September 2007
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We made a reservation well in advance for this hotel and arrived late in the afternoon after our trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The lobby was very inviting and lovely furnished and decorated. There were two very young girls behind the front desk and I was hardly greeted when I walked in. Upon my friendly inquiry if I would get an upgrade (I am a Hilton Gold member and I always ask) the girls refused in a brutal manner, saying also that the hotel was full.

The room was good, had dark furniture and a microwave and medium size refrigerator. A supermarket is close by, just a short drive to the other side of the road. It was very hot that day, so we didn’t use the sitting area outside or around the swimming pool.

The business center is a separate room, can be opened with the room key and has a computer and printer. After I checked my mail I tried the Hilton reservation website and other sites and in this hotel there were still plenty rooms available that night. (There was also space in the limited parking place at the entrance, so I already suspected that the hotel wasn’t fully booked) I told the girls behind the desk this fact and one of them said that their computer system told differently. It is not the fact that I didn’t get the upgrade, but I just don’t like it that they lied to me twice. They could have brought the message in a much more forthcoming way, although it is hardly to blame them, because they were so young. (But I do blame it on the management; it is not a good policy to have young and cheap but rather inexperienced and perhaps untrained people working together at the front desk.)

The breakfast is the morning was very good, with many items to choose from. It is nice that in this Hampton the ‘hot items’ are not frozen microwave stuff. There was a friendly woman working in the breakfast area. At the front desk there was again a very young girl and I noticed that guests had to wait a long time before questions were answered/issues were solved, have not seen any supervisor during our stay.

It was a pleasant stay, but the management could do much better on front desk staff policy

• Liked — The good quality room with the good size refrigerator
  • Disliked — Behave of front desk staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Morristown, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

This is a solid Hampton Inn location, although parking is a little unusual. The front parking lot fills rather quickly on the weekends, so you have to drive down the street and maneuver through the hospital parking lot (look for the Oncology sign and turn right) to get to a bigger back parking lot. There you go across an enclosed bridge to the 4th floor. My friends and I joked that it looked like an airlock out of a sci-fi movie. The breakfast area is average sized for a Hampton with very helpful attendants. Coffee was fresh whenever I visited the lobby. Bathroom in the room we were in was starting to show its age a little, but was clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I'd like to give this a bit more than a "3" because we had a really pleasant stay. It's just that I've become spoiled by the brand new Hampton's we've stayed in lately. But this WAS above average, in many ways, and we'd stay there again, without question. The beds were excellent, as expected. The location was great ... a tad out of the way but not a problem at all.

For delicious food I'd highly recommend "419" as we ate both meals there. It can be expensive or moderate, depending on how you order.

Stayed June 2007
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

We recently stayed at this Hampton Inn during a fall color trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We were met by friendly, attentive staff. The room was clean, and everything was in good working order.

The breakfast area was clean and well equipped. There is a nice outdoor patio area (but the weather was a bit too cold to use it). The food consisted of the typical Hampton Inn spread, and the selection was pretty good.

Parking is a bit tight on the hotel lobby level, but there is additional parking in a lot at a higher elevation with a bridge to the hotel.

This hotel represents a fair value, and I would stay at there again.

• Liked — Good Value
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke/Salem? Share your experiences!