“Great place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rotterdam
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This Hampton Inn is right in front of a hospital but if you did'nt know you won't notice. Very quiet hotel. We stayed for 2 nights and did not hear a single ambulance come in at the Er.

At the front of the hotel is parkingspace available. When full there is a lot at the back of the hotel.
The hotel itself was different on the inside than others. It had a antique feel to it in a positive and nice way. Very tastefull receptionarea and lounge.

The room was spacious. Very clean.
Staff was very helpfull and kind.
Breakfast as always more than enough. Plenty of fresh fruits.
Good Wifi speed

If you're on the road, traveling, you can do your laundry if you want to.

We would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
North Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Though it takes about 45 minutes to get to the parking area from here.

Clean hotel, nice folks, solid breakfast.

Pretty much what you expect from a Hampton. The rooms are clean and neat. Plenty of restaurants nearby--though not anything I would consider fine.

If I come back, I'll come back!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Yorktown, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

When we visit Virginia Tech we usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Christiansburg but I waited too long to make reservations for move in week. Since I would prefer to stay at a Hampton Inn a little further out than stay at another chain closer to Tech, we stayed here. Although it's an older property and is showing it's age, it has all the amenities I expect in a Hampton property - clean, comfortable, quiet rooms and a decent breakfast. The breakfast area is small but a letter from the manager left in the room indicates that they will soon be expanding the breakfast and lobby areas. Plenty of parking between the front and back lots which was pretty easy to reach. Nothing confusing about getting to it. Definitely stay here again if we need an alternate location to the Christiansburg Hampton Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Whitsett, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

First time in Roanoke area. Hotel convenient to all points of interest and great accommodations.
Hotel staff very helpful, rooms clean . Hotel staff were eager to point out place of interest and travel directions. Made our trip much more enjoyable and pleasant. Thank you Hampton for your assistance.

Room Tip: Salem nice place to sightsee and when there try Mac and Bob for a great meal. Service Food and pric...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn for an overnight business trip. I'd stayed here before and it's a nice hotel--clean, friendly staff, comfortable. The only drawback on this stay is that I could smell the cigarette smoke from a smoking room in my non-smoking room. The smell became so bad during the night that it woke me up. Since it was the strongest in the bathroom (which I thought was a bit odd), I closed the door and that seemed to help. But, bright and early I was awakened by the smoky smell again. It was a bit frustrating as a non-smoker whose allergies are irritated by cigarette smoke.

The location of the hotel, however, is fantastic. It's within walking distance of several restaurants and after a long drive to get here it's nice to be able to take a little walk to grab a bite to eat. And, as I said, the staff is incredibly friendly. They always have a smile on their faces and are more than willing to help with suggestions, directions, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have stayed at this property several times, mostly when I am in town to coach a youth baseball team in the many tournaments Salem hosts, but also when I had a minor procedure done at Lewis Gale and to attend a concert. I have written positive reviews about this place before, because this is an excellent property with a very friendly and helpful staff. I travel a lot and when possible, I usually choose Hilton brand hotels and this is one of the best. On this trip, what started out as a little glitch reinforced all the positive things I love about this place.

I booked the reservation on-line through the Hilton Honors website on August 8th for August 11th, or so I thought. When I arrived at the hotel after being in the sun for 10 hours coaching 16 year olds at Kiwanis Field, they could not find my reservation. I looked up the confirmation number on my smart phone (which by the way the 16 year olds had to teach me how to use) and the front desk clerk typed it in and said the reservation was for the 8th and since I didn't show up they had charged my card. I was pretty sure I had typed in the correct date, but I also know that sometimes if things dont go perfectly, a website can default to the current date. She was extremely helpful. She took my information and wrote a note for the manager and gave me a number to call Hilton Honors since I had booked through them to see if maybe there was a glitch in the system.

Well, on the very next business day, I got an email from the hotel manager saying he would be glad to adjust the charge since I stayed on the 11th. I don't know for sure if the mistake was mine or the fault of a glitch in the website. But I can tell you one thing, I already loved this place, but this really convinced me that I will certainly stay there in the future anytime I visit the Salem/Roanoke area.

I was really tired that night and didn't want to drive, so the staff arranged a cab to take me to and from my favorite Salem restaurant, the Blue Apron. It is really nice to find such a world class restaurant in the middle of a relatively small community. If you have doubts, look up the reviews of the Blue Apron on TripAdvisor, or other sites. It truly is world class.

If you are looking for a very clean and well appointed property with a super staff to stay when visiting the Salem/Roanoke area, give this place a try. And if you want to walk to dinner, my favorite Chinese restaurant in all of SW VA, the Sechuan, is just across the street. Not a buffett, but a full service restaurant with excellent food and service.

Room Tip: They have a variety of choices...two beds, King, King with Jacuzzi, egtc
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

One of the finest Hampon Inn's we've found in this country. Such a nice surprise. Check In was a breeze. The front desk was very nice offering area dining options. The hotel grounds are splendid, nicely landscaped and very inviting. The hotel interior is beautifully decorated. You could spend hours discovering all the great artwork on display. It's like a fine art gallery. The pool area was clean and the water nice (just a bit chilly). The free breakfast was typical Hampton Inn excellent. Free wifi worked great. We love Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and we'll never forget our visit to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Roanoke/Salem? Share your experiences!