“overpriced and not super clean, but adequate” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Salem

You added Days Inn Salem to your Saves list
Days Inn Salem
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1535 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Tuscaloosa
“overpriced and not super clean, but adequate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel was alright - I've stayed in much nicer hotels that were cheaper though. The main issue was the tiny, dirty bathroom. There were hairs in it that did not belong to me, and the ledge for the soap in the shower had some sort of brown residue on it. Further, the shower head didn't work very well (water dribbled down instead of shooting out), and the drain was slow so I had to stand in water while I showered. Also, the continental breakfast had very limited options.
As far as positives, the staff person I talked to before I arrived was helpful in making changes to my reservation. And the room had a decent-sized refrigerator, which was nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed three nights at this hotel while we visited VA Tech with my high school aged son. I booked the trip using Hotwire. Initially, I booked for two nights, but subsequently added a third night through my Hotwire reservation. One can go back to the reservation on Hotwire and add additional nights. When we arrived, we were booked for a room with a King bed when I specifically requested two double beds. The receptionist advised that I had a room with two double beds for the next two nights, but that I was book for the King for the first night. She did indicate that she would try to keep me in one room, but it would have to be the King bedroom. I advised her not to worry about it, and we checked out in the morning only to check in again the following night.

My son stayed in the vehicle while I checked in, and his first comment to me when I returned to the car was that I smelled like smoke. There was a large sign in the lobby stating, "SMOKE FREE LOBBY", but it did smell like smoke. The rooms do smell musty and of cigarettes smoke. The comforters and blankets had cigarette burns in them. One pillow case had old stains on it. We brought sleeping bags with us and opted to sleep in them on top of the sheets. The rooms "look" nice, but they're dated. TVs are old, tube TVs. Curtains don't stay closed tight, so light shines through easily. Outside hallways are noisy with people talking and shouting to one another. This includes the motel staff. One plus is that the rooms do have refrigerators and microwaves in them. We would not have eaten in our room, but we were able to keep drinks cold using the fridge.

The motel seems to be in a safe place. I didn't see anything or anyone that would make me think otherwise. There is a gas station directly across the street in a shopping center that houses a Kroger grocery store and several other smaller stores and restaurants. There is also a Hardee's right next door. I'm reminded of this, because the breakfast the motel offers had much to be desired. The only real "hot foods" on the bar were waffles. I did see sausage on the bar on our last day. Other than that, it's cereal, muffins, toast and hard boiled eggs.

Overall, it's an average hotel. If you're looking to just stay a night or two and not spend much time in your room, it's an inexpensive place to stay. My wife would not have stayed here, but with it just being me and my son, it was just okay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 122 (King) and 221 (Double). We preferred the King room over the other.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Baymont Inn & Suites Salem Roanoke Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 14 in Salem
4.0 of 5 stars 118 reviews

Been to Days Inn Salem? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Days Inn Salem

Address: 1535 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Holiday Inn)
Location: United States > Virginia > Salem
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Wheelchair access
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Hotel Class:2 star — Days Inn Salem 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Days Inn Salem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Days Inn Salem Hotel Salem
Salem Days Inn

If you own or manage Days Inn Salem, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.