“Nice Hotel; Cold Water” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Herndon, VA
“Nice Hotel; Cold Water”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

I was in the Roanoke/Salem area for a major volleyball tournament with my daughter. This hotel was very convenient to our different playing sites and just off I81. The room was large and clean. The bathroom door had to be closed in order to use the toilet. There was virtually no hot water when I took a shower. (I was on the 2nd floor.) I had to let the water run and run, to barely get warm. As I was rinsing my hair, the water turned ice cold again. I had to let it run again before it warmed up enough for me to finish. Didn't make it to the continental breakfast. The room heater generated nice warm air and wasn't as noisy as a lot of hotels I've stayed in, for which I was very grateful. TV offered lots of cable channels as choices including HBO. Great price at less than $60 before taxes! Despite the cold water, I'd stay here again.......maybe in warmer weather though! :-)

• Liked — Price and proximity to I81
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

If you have allergies, STAY AWAY. The rooms are moldy and need a lot more cleaning. If you stay, I would advise picking up some DAMP RID. We used it in the room plus Lysol in order to endure the room. Our rate was $89 a night, I would not recommend paying that rate, maybe $59, then I wouldn't complain as much.

We had to stay a week due to a Softball Tournament where we had team reservations. We tried to get a room elsewhere, but all Hotels within a 20 mile radious were booked.
There was hair on the bathroom floors and the tub was moldy. We requested to have the bathroom cleaned again upon arrival. A housekeeper came in, swiped some bleach on the floor and left.
The AC was not working correctly so the room was ver humid. We requested to have it checked, but the maintance guy had called in sick....they never came to fix it. It's a good thing we spent most of our time elsewhere.
Smoking and Non-smoking rooms side by side.

Compliments: The staff always asked it there was anything they could do, but it seldom got done. The Wireless Internet access was working. There is an outside pool, but watch out for the gates. Didn't use the fitness room (2 treadmills). Washer was broken. The continental Breakfast area was pleasant. For a free breakfast, you get your money's worth. Sunday special sausage gravy and biscuits. Most other days donuts, french toast, cereal, juices, coffee and milk. There is a nice waffle maker where you can make your own waffle. The attendant made sure to refill all items and wipe down the counters.

Stayed July 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

The hotel has seen better days. Would-be travelers to the Quality Inn at Salem should know that if there is a problem, don't expect results... quick or otherwise. The manager lives in another state and only visits the hotel on Mondays. We have had a billing problem that has not been rectified for three months. We have made numerous phone calls all with the promise that he willl call just as soon as he gets the message, but to date, no phone calls. This is time consuming and very frustrating. It is not worth the hassle... avoid visiting and avoid the headache... there are nicer places to stay with greater customer service.

• Stayed March 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

My fiance booked this hotel because they had free wireless DSL. When we checked in, he asked the clerk if it included free wireless DSL. She said yes, but, that they just found out last night, when they had a bad storm, that sometimes when they have bad storms it goes out. Well, the weather was perfect, and the DSL was not working at all from when we arrived to when we left. We spoke to another person staying at the hotel who complained that not only was he not able to get the DSL to work, but the hotel's printer was out of ink. My complaint: The room smelled terrible, like a musty basement, and ever-so-slightly like urine. After check-in, we ran the air conditioning for a few hours, and came back with air freshener. This made the room bearable. The walls had spackle over the wall-paper. The place had a very tired worn-out appearance. At check-out, the manager checked out my fiance, and didn't ask him how his stay was. I thought this was very unusual for a hotel. But, I think they probably don't ask, because they know their facility is sub-standard.

• Stayed April 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2004

Stayed there in January, 2004 for one night. After checking out, I figured I'd grab a bit of their complimentary breakfast. It just astounds me that someone would actually take a piece of clearly moldy bread and cook it as french toast. I don't think it's possible to cook french toast without looking at it, unless there's an automatic french toast maker I'm unaware of. Otherwise, someone soaked a piece of VERY MOLDY BREAD in an egg mixture, and then fried it. You could still see the mold after it was cooked. And they still left this crap out for people to eat. This on top of a fairly poor hotel room makes me want to NEVER STAY AT A QUALITY INN ever again.

• Stayed January 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2003

We were scheduled to play in a USSSA Fastpitch Tournament in Salem, July 4th weekend(2003) and decided to book at the Quality Inn. Upon arrival, the girls went directly to the pool. The first observation was that the dividing rope was dangling on the surface of the water. We decided to see if we could attach it. The ropes end was frayed, so instead we removed it from the pool. Then I noticed that there was a light fixture floating on top of the water in the deep end (it was still attached with a wire, but loose). Meanwhile there were several girls swimming in the pool. While we were discussing the condition of the pool, one girl started crying. She got out of the pool with a trail of blood with her every footstep. Her toe was sliced wide open(She had to get 4 stiches at the emergency room). While we were attending to her, two more girls came out with foot cuts. We decided it was time to look for the source. Upon closer inspection, we found that one light fixture(under water) had the glass broken. We immediately went to the front desk to notify them of the situation. They were not very friendly or helpful about our findings. They just said that the pool was closed (we had already pulled all of the girls out.) Once in our rooms, we noticed that the bathroom was not very clean. There was mildew the tub, on the shower curtain and on the ceiling. The tub did not drain properly and was in dire need of cleaning. Another room had a foul smelling odor and the temperature in the (interior)hallway was around 80 degrees. Upon check out, the family who spent that Friday evening in the Emergency room was not given any type of compensation, in fact the hotel staff didn't acklowledge the fact that their pool was a hazard.
The least is that the hotel should have offered to pay for the hospital visit and comp the room of the family involved. We will never stay at this Quality Inn and neither will the other 25 families that travel with our teams! This hotel has given Quality Inn a bad name, and I'm certain , <b>Quality INN will NOT</b> be on our list of hotels to stay at again.

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!