“Bad experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Savannah, Tennessee
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This was probably one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. I was first given a non-smoking room, which was not what I reserved, so had to go back to the desk which was a long walk due to really strange configuration in my opinion. Then when I got to the second room, there was no remote for the TV. Called the front desk, and was told I would, I needed to come back to lobby, and get a remote, another long walk. The remote I was given was a universal one, so I had to spend 10 or 15 minutes, getting it to work the TV in my room. A hotel guest should not have to do this, and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't know how to do. On the night stand was a clock radio from the 70's, that wasn't even plugged in, because there was no outlet to plug it into. The bathroom toilet wasn't clean at all, and to me that's a big issue. The breakfast bar had limited items to choose from, waffle maker didn't work, and overall wasn't the least bit appealing.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. If your traveling north on I 81, stop at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Dubl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Oh, what I could do to improve this motel! Lots of money and time might be a good start. Tearing it down and starting over by someone who cares about accommodations is my suggestion. It is absolutely filthy and uncared for. Breakfast is a joke. Natasha , clerk on duty, rescued it by searching for forks and spoons. Wallpaper was peeling off room walls. A "worker" was attempting to piece wooden walls together and looked unfamiliar with tools. Location was lacking. Is in the middle of nowhere which made availability to food difficult. A delapidated mess is my only description.

Room Tip: Check it out before committing.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had to change rooms because the first room was dirty and dingy and in the very back of the motel among the smoking rooms. The second room was only slightly better, but at least we felt a little safer. The tv reception was terrible, the breakfast was very limited. We travel north to south and back every year, and this was the worst experience we have had in a hotel. We will not stay there again.

Room Tip: There are other hotels in the area, go to them.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
LEWES
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel was half-way between our departure and destination on a road trip. Booked online after reading several reviews. Hotel is easily accessed off of I81, the staff is very helpful, and rooms are clean and comfortable. There were not many residents and there were no noise issues.
Hotel is dated and needs some upgrading (wallpaper needs work, show curtain installation is sub-par, and there are not enough electrical outlets). A detraction for me was the lack of shower water pressure and the fact that the hot/cold balance was never consistent. The clerk told us, on arrival, that the breakfast would offer eggs, waffles, either sausage or bacon. When we arrived for breakfast, there were waffles, bread, and some cereals offered, as well as some gravy thing. There were no eggs, sausage, nor bacon. Also, there was no fresh fruit. The coffee was very good. So, we had to breakfast somewhere else.
Would I stay there again, probably not since there are other hotels within a half-mile from this one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Salem, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Bathroom, hole behind toilet. No exhaust fan and coffee pot had old coffee with mold in filter area. No tissues. Breakfast, the biscuits were cold, along with the sausage and gravy. The girl that set up breakfast was the same individual that checked us in. I had to toss breakfast and eat something else.

• Stayed October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I checked in with my BF on a Saturday afternoon and very shortly after we got a call that my BF's mother had been in a car accident and we had to leave suddenly. The young man at the front desk was so incredibly helpful and understanding. He gave me a phone number to call to try to get a refund on Monday, when I checked my bank statement on Monday they had already given me the refund. So incredibly thoughtful, I just want to say thank you.

I didn't have a chance to see the rooms so I can't comment, the front lobby was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I can only say this is the most poorly maintained hotel I have ever seen. Our first clue was seeing the front portico where the fascia was missing and the lobby
door which would not close.While the staff was friendly, the buildings are in deplorable shape. The bed was clean and comfy but the fridge froze everything we put into it, the towel bar and the shower controls came off in our hands,there was no hair dryer and the general condition was just awful with dirty carpet and patched walls. I would hate to be a Quality Inn owner with a nice hotel and know this place was considered a sister property. There is evidently no inspection system or minimum standard a hotel needs to meet so after this experience we are much less likely to stay in one of the hotels in this chain.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!