“Management was excellent.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Management was excellent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I checked in with my BF on a Saturday afternoon and very shortly after we got a call that my BF's mother had been in a car accident and we had to leave suddenly. The young man at the front desk was so incredibly helpful and understanding. He gave me a phone number to call to try to get a refund on Monday, when I checked my bank statement on Monday they had already given me the refund. So incredibly thoughtful, I just want to say thank you.

I didn't have a chance to see the rooms so I can't comment, the front lobby was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I can only say this is the most poorly maintained hotel I have ever seen. Our first clue was seeing the front portico where the fascia was missing and the lobby
door which would not close.While the staff was friendly, the buildings are in deplorable shape. The bed was clean and comfy but the fridge froze everything we put into it, the towel bar and the shower controls came off in our hands,there was no hair dryer and the general condition was just awful with dirty carpet and patched walls. I would hate to be a Quality Inn owner with a nice hotel and know this place was considered a sister property. There is evidently no inspection system or minimum standard a hotel needs to meet so after this experience we are much less likely to stay in one of the hotels in this chain.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FORT MYERS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel is average, The room was ok but the bathroom needs some serious updating.
All around the tub was mold and mildew.
The staff was pleasant and breakfast ok.
The rooms on the second floor are quiet and away from traffic but there is no elevator and at least 3 doors to get through before you get to your room.

Room Tip: The hotel is easy to find and away from the highway and traffic. higher floors are less noisy but th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Let me start with the positive. The late-night desk clerk was friendly, and the breakfast was fine. The property was older and the rates were accordingly low compared to other hotels / motels in the area. HOWEVER, I was speechless when I walked into my room and discovered that there wasn't a faceplate over the electric outlet that the hair drier plugged into. This isn't simply "not up to code" (ANYWHERE). Next to a bathroom in a room with kids who can stick their wet fingers anywhere, without even a ground fault interrupt -- this could be life threatening. Since the cord to the hair drier was attached to the screw in the middle of the outlet without a faceplate, it's clear that the outlet has been in this condition for some time, and both maintenance and housekeeping are complicit. It's one thing to have a offer a somewhat rundown and smelly room for a low price to travelers who are on a tight budget and willing to accept the conditions. It's a completely different thing for management to accept obviously, visibly, unacceptably dangerous conditions on the property and keep renting out the room, despite the fact that a "repair" could be effected for under a dollar! What should I conclude about NON-visible issues related to health and safety in this hotel? Still shaking my head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you don't mind some scary factors to your stay, you'll be fine. The place takes Dogs. Apparently dogs up to the size of a horse. If you don't mind walking through broken glass doors, ripped and tattered awnings, peeling paint, cigarette burnt comforters and a dark, questionable parking lot, you'll love this place. This place suffers from an owner who apparently doesn't care much about upkeep. The receptionist was friendly enough and gave us a decent corp rate that was $68 cheaper than the La Quinta next door even with a pet, so for one night, it's bearable. The beds and pillows were decent.

If you fear theft or are traveling alone, I would stay somewhere safer. But if you have a ridiculously over-sized dog that would eat any threat, this is the place for you! Bring some extra lightbulbs or lamps. Only one of them in our room worked. And get ready to hike up a flight of stairs if you check in later in the day as there are no elevators. Ice machines are all broken. Morning coffee and food items are the lowest possible quality with mostly carbs. But, bring your swimsuit! The pool didn't look that bad from afar.

• Stayed August 2013
West Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

On my way from Connecticut to Georgia I decided to book a room here at the Quality Inn using my Choice Privileges points. After traveling for 12 hours from Connecticut to Salem, VA my mom, nephew and I were excited to finally get a chance to relax for a bit. When we arrived to this location we passed two lovely hotels and were a little disappointed with the outside appearance of the Quality Inn. However, I don't like to judge a book by it's cover so I told my nephew to cheer up and that the inside could be very clean and lovely. Boy....was I wrong! eek! My mom went in to get the keys and check in while my nephew and I waited in the car. We were given a room right near the entrance. We got our overnight bags and headed inside...eager to relax. Upon entering the room you could smell a scent of moldiness. I looked over at the beds and there were three white tiny pillows on the bed and one had a fly on it. I figured...no big deal...it's a fly. That's when my nephew made his way over to the sliding glass doors and there were literally like 100 black beetles and bugs all over INSIDE the room near the glass. I then looked at the mattresses (I do this at all hotels I stay at to rule out any type of bed bugs) and noticed that the mattresses were old and gross and had black parts that could be bed bug infestations. I was DONE at this point.
I didn't want another room, I wanted to get the hell out of this place. We went to the front desk where there was a lovely guy (I believe his name was Michael) who was more then helpful in trying to help us get our points back that we used for the room since we were not staying at the resort. The other girl at the desk (I can't remember her name) was seriously dressed in a freakin tank top with her chest tattoos showing and had her baby behind the desk! I couldn't believe this girl was working customer service at a hotel and wearing a tank top...so classless! Then as soon as her manager arrived...she put on a polo with the hotel's name on it and seemed to change her attitude. Now...I'm no prude or anything but this chick shouldn't have been wearing a tank top to begin with(think Honey Boo Boo's mom...cough cough) and I believe in always being professional especially in a hospitality setting. Then she was standing outside and smoking. Nothing like having customers arrive to the only people who work at the desk standing outside and smoking. Vomit.
Then there was the hour and a half wait to get some sort of resolution. It was 9:30 by the time we left this hotel and had a new reservation at the Comfort Suites in Salem(MUCH MUCH MUCH better btw!). Overall, I wouldn't wish this Quality Inn upon my worst enemy. Do yourself a favor and RUN away!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elkton, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

One of our favorite stops from MD to NC. The hotel is right off Rte 81. There is a Starbucks and Krueger's low price gas station down the road about 1 mile. The hotel is one story, with sliding glass doors that are well secured. You can park your car outside your room for easy load/unload. The frig has a large freezer compartment, and you can get adjoining rooms if you like. The breakfast room is large, and the food good. They did start to clean up the food at 9:15am, which was inconvenient for those arriving at the last minute, but it looked like an event was scheduled in the same room so perhaps they are not always as agressive about cleaning away breakfast. Beds were comfortable, and staff are polite and helpful. The only 'negative' was that the WiFi was very slow during the day. Less so in the early morning when less people were on the internet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!