“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
FORT MYERS
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel is average, The room was ok but the bathroom needs some serious updating.
All around the tub was mold and mildew.
The staff was pleasant and breakfast ok.
The rooms on the second floor are quiet and away from traffic but there is no elevator and at least 3 doors to get through before you get to your room.

Room Tip: The hotel is easy to find and away from the highway and traffic. higher floors are less noisy but th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Let me start with the positive. The late-night desk clerk was friendly, and the breakfast was fine. The property was older and the rates were accordingly low compared to other hotels / motels in the area. HOWEVER, I was speechless when I walked into my room and discovered that there wasn't a faceplate over the electric outlet that the hair drier plugged into. This isn't simply "not up to code" (ANYWHERE). Next to a bathroom in a room with kids who can stick their wet fingers anywhere, without even a ground fault interrupt -- this could be life threatening. Since the cord to the hair drier was attached to the screw in the middle of the outlet without a faceplate, it's clear that the outlet has been in this condition for some time, and both maintenance and housekeeping are complicit. It's one thing to have a offer a somewhat rundown and smelly room for a low price to travelers who are on a tight budget and willing to accept the conditions. It's a completely different thing for management to accept obviously, visibly, unacceptably dangerous conditions on the property and keep renting out the room, despite the fact that a "repair" could be effected for under a dollar! What should I conclude about NON-visible issues related to health and safety in this hotel? Still shaking my head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you don't mind some scary factors to your stay, you'll be fine. The place takes Dogs. Apparently dogs up to the size of a horse. If you don't mind walking through broken glass doors, ripped and tattered awnings, peeling paint, cigarette burnt comforters and a dark, questionable parking lot, you'll love this place. This place suffers from an owner who apparently doesn't care much about upkeep. The receptionist was friendly enough and gave us a decent corp rate that was $68 cheaper than the La Quinta next door even with a pet, so for one night, it's bearable. The beds and pillows were decent.

If you fear theft or are traveling alone, I would stay somewhere safer. But if you have a ridiculously over-sized dog that would eat any threat, this is the place for you! Bring some extra lightbulbs or lamps. Only one of them in our room worked. And get ready to hike up a flight of stairs if you check in later in the day as there are no elevators. Ice machines are all broken. Morning coffee and food items are the lowest possible quality with mostly carbs. But, bring your swimsuit! The pool didn't look that bad from afar.

• Stayed August 2013
West Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

On my way from Connecticut to Georgia I decided to book a room here at the Quality Inn using my Choice Privileges points. After traveling for 12 hours from Connecticut to Salem, VA my mom, nephew and I were excited to finally get a chance to relax for a bit. When we arrived to this location we passed two lovely hotels and were a little disappointed with the outside appearance of the Quality Inn. However, I don't like to judge a book by it's cover so I told my nephew to cheer up and that the inside could be very clean and lovely. Boy....was I wrong! eek! My mom went in to get the keys and check in while my nephew and I waited in the car. We were given a room right near the entrance. We got our overnight bags and headed inside...eager to relax. Upon entering the room you could smell a scent of moldiness. I looked over at the beds and there were three white tiny pillows on the bed and one had a fly on it. I figured...no big deal...it's a fly. That's when my nephew made his way over to the sliding glass doors and there were literally like 100 black beetles and bugs all over INSIDE the room near the glass. I then looked at the mattresses (I do this at all hotels I stay at to rule out any type of bed bugs) and noticed that the mattresses were old and gross and had black parts that could be bed bug infestations. I was DONE at this point.
I didn't want another room, I wanted to get the hell out of this place. We went to the front desk where there was a lovely guy (I believe his name was Michael) who was more then helpful in trying to help us get our points back that we used for the room since we were not staying at the resort. The other girl at the desk (I can't remember her name) was seriously dressed in a freakin tank top with her chest tattoos showing and had her baby behind the desk! I couldn't believe this girl was working customer service at a hotel and wearing a tank top...so classless! Then as soon as her manager arrived...she put on a polo with the hotel's name on it and seemed to change her attitude. Now...I'm no prude or anything but this chick shouldn't have been wearing a tank top to begin with(think Honey Boo Boo's mom...cough cough) and I believe in always being professional especially in a hospitality setting. Then she was standing outside and smoking. Nothing like having customers arrive to the only people who work at the desk standing outside and smoking. Vomit.
Then there was the hour and a half wait to get some sort of resolution. It was 9:30 by the time we left this hotel and had a new reservation at the Comfort Suites in Salem(MUCH MUCH MUCH better btw!). Overall, I wouldn't wish this Quality Inn upon my worst enemy. Do yourself a favor and RUN away!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elkton, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

One of our favorite stops from MD to NC. The hotel is right off Rte 81. There is a Starbucks and Krueger's low price gas station down the road about 1 mile. The hotel is one story, with sliding glass doors that are well secured. You can park your car outside your room for easy load/unload. The frig has a large freezer compartment, and you can get adjoining rooms if you like. The breakfast room is large, and the food good. They did start to clean up the food at 9:15am, which was inconvenient for those arriving at the last minute, but it looked like an event was scheduled in the same room so perhaps they are not always as agressive about cleaning away breakfast. Beds were comfortable, and staff are polite and helpful. The only 'negative' was that the WiFi was very slow during the day. Less so in the early morning when less people were on the internet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A couple years ago we made another stop here, one of many times that we have stayed over the past 10 years. Always had a great experience and always very accommodating people for us and our 3 Pomeranians who travel with us. Renovations were everywhere! All rooms were to be non-smoking. In Nov. of 2012 we stoped in and found that renovations had "slowed" and they were under new management. Got our room and had to move to another room due to unacceptable conditions. And now there was a $15 charge per dog although there was no record anywhere of any excessive cleaning that was needed in the past stays when the dogs were with us. We are forgiving people --- and desperate I guess because something was going on a couple weeks ago and there were no rooms to be found at the last minute. So on the 23rd we stopped in again. New management again: all renovations stopped. Apparently most cleaning stopped too. Coffee in the lobby dribbled out about a tablespoon of something that looked like diluted tar. And most rooms seem to be smoking. Ours smelled less than terrific. And while Barb K says it's a cheap place to sleep, they originally charged us $118 for a king bed. Came down to $69 with a clergy discount. No dogs with us for this quick overnight vsit. But our king bed turned out to be 2 full size beds.. So we got them to drop the price again. So yes it was cheap. But it has also gotten cheap, if you get my drift. Breakfast in the morning at 8:15 was aout over; most stuff gone and coffee old. Left to go elsewhere for something more appealing. So unfortunately, we will be on the outlook for new place to stop on our way up and down the coast. Any ideas? By the way, the 2-star rating is because they have the best shower head I have ever used! Awesome! And the beds were pretty comfortable and we both sleptwell--- each in our own full-size bed mind you but comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very disappointed with this place. Checked in, the staff was very friendly. We were given a room at the back of the hotel. Upon opening the door the smell of moth balls ( I didn't know they were still used) over took me. I opened up the door wall to get air in and got a solid air freshener for the room. Yuck ! The hotel itself is very old and worn. The door wall window was filthy ! Also there was someones ( previous person) toothpaste stuck to the faucet in the bathroom. While taking into consideration that the place was old, we stayed ( the linens were clean) and I figured the free hot breakfast would be a positive. NOT ! There was no waffle batter, there were no biscuits for the gravy and there was no coffee in the pots. I took 2 small pastries, 2 yogurts and 2 hard boiled eggs for myself and my husband. Got back to the room with it and took a bite from the egg, IT WAS AWFUL ! Told my husband not to eat his. After this we packed up and left. We will not return here. We stayed on a free night with our bonus points. It was not worth using our points !

Room Tip: pass this one up !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher F, Manager at Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Sandy, I do apologize for the experience you had with us here at the Quality Inn. My executive housekeeper and I have looked into the issues that you've encountered with during your stay and I'm very pleased to say that all issues have be reconciled. I do hope that we get the opportunity in making things right with you for the bad experience you had in your recent stay.

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!