“Things sure have changed!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Gainesville, Virginia
“Things sure have changed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A couple years ago we made another stop here, one of many times that we have stayed over the past 10 years. Always had a great experience and always very accommodating people for us and our 3 Pomeranians who travel with us. Renovations were everywhere! All rooms were to be non-smoking. In Nov. of 2012 we stoped in and found that renovations had "slowed" and they were under new management. Got our room and had to move to another room due to unacceptable conditions. And now there was a $15 charge per dog although there was no record anywhere of any excessive cleaning that was needed in the past stays when the dogs were with us. We are forgiving people --- and desperate I guess because something was going on a couple weeks ago and there were no rooms to be found at the last minute. So on the 23rd we stopped in again. New management again: all renovations stopped. Apparently most cleaning stopped too. Coffee in the lobby dribbled out about a tablespoon of something that looked like diluted tar. And most rooms seem to be smoking. Ours smelled less than terrific. And while Barb K says it's a cheap place to sleep, they originally charged us $118 for a king bed. Came down to $69 with a clergy discount. No dogs with us for this quick overnight vsit. But our king bed turned out to be 2 full size beds.. So we got them to drop the price again. So yes it was cheap. But it has also gotten cheap, if you get my drift. Breakfast in the morning at 8:15 was aout over; most stuff gone and coffee old. Left to go elsewhere for something more appealing. So unfortunately, we will be on the outlook for new place to stop on our way up and down the coast. Any ideas? By the way, the 2-star rating is because they have the best shower head I have ever used! Awesome! And the beds were pretty comfortable and we both sleptwell--- each in our own full-size bed mind you but comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very disappointed with this place. Checked in, the staff was very friendly. We were given a room at the back of the hotel. Upon opening the door the smell of moth balls ( I didn't know they were still used) over took me. I opened up the door wall to get air in and got a solid air freshener for the room. Yuck ! The hotel itself is very old and worn. The door wall window was filthy ! Also there was someones ( previous person) toothpaste stuck to the faucet in the bathroom. While taking into consideration that the place was old, we stayed ( the linens were clean) and I figured the free hot breakfast would be a positive. NOT ! There was no waffle batter, there were no biscuits for the gravy and there was no coffee in the pots. I took 2 small pastries, 2 yogurts and 2 hard boiled eggs for myself and my husband. Got back to the room with it and took a bite from the egg, IT WAS AWFUL ! Told my husband not to eat his. After this we packed up and left. We will not return here. We stayed on a free night with our bonus points. It was not worth using our points !

Room Tip: pass this one up !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher F, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Sandy, I do apologize for the experience you had with us here at the Quality Inn. My executive housekeeper and I have looked into the issues that you've encountered with during your stay and I'm very pleased to say that all issues have be reconciled. I do hope that we get the opportunity in making things right with you for the bad experience you had in your recent stay.
Selkirk, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had been traveling all day & found a coupon to stay at this motel. It was the oldest, most run down Quality Inn we have ever stayed in. But we needed a place to sleep & the price was right. We were one the the first to check in, but our room was on the back side of the motel. Very scary back there. Each room has full length sliding glass doors which were very dirty. You could park right outside your room, but could not enter through the glass doors, but instead had to go inside the hallways to your room & then open the doors to gain outside access. The parking area near was dirty. Sidewalks covered in old gum and stains. The hallways were long, dark, smelled of smoke & grungy. We had a queen size bed that was comfortable, but the mattress was old, with stains. There were 4 pillows made of shredded foam. The room included a love seat. There were crumbs, bottle caps, and stains under the cushions. There was an older style tv & a clock that was not plugged in. The bathroom was not clean. Toilet needed to be flushed! Hair on floor, tub slippery (there was a hand rain in it). Also - there was only 1 decent resturant about a mile away. The only other ones were fast food. The breakfast area was small, but semi-clean. Food was basic coffee, cereal, juice, breads, muffins.

One good thing, the receptionist at the front desk was very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher F, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Barb K - I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was everything but enjoyable. I do wish that these issue were brought to our attention during your stay with us. I pulled your information up in our system so I could personally look into the issues that you've brought up in the review.

In regards to having to enter your room through the hotel then exiting out the sliding glass doors to get to your vehicle, we make sure that all sliding glass doors are locked daily to ensure the safety of you the guest and anyone else visiting our property. I'm somewhat confused about the problem you had with your bed as well as the pillows, we've recently replaced our mattresses here at Quality Inn with new mattresses as well the pillows are actually not stuffed with foam but they are Ultraflow Optiform Polyester pillows, the same pillows that Marriot hotels use.

I do want to let you know that we actually do have quite a few restaurants in the surrounding area of Quality Inn, here are just a few; Country Cooking, IHOP, Mammas Pizza, Best Wok Chinese, Mac&Bobs, Macados just to name a few sitdown restaurants. We do also of course have quite a few fast food restaurants surrounding us too; Burger King, Mc Donalds, and Hardees.

Barbara if your ever visiting the area again we would love the opportunity in making your last stay a better one! If you are set in not wanting to stay with us here at Quality Inn we can also help you with booking a reservation at one of our newer Comfort Suites Properties. Please email me at gm.va102@choicehotels.com and I will make sure that you are taken care of.
Shelby, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This motel is somewhat worn and in need of remodeling. The hallway carpet is stained, tattered and worn but the carpet in our room looked clean. The room was ok and was clean..the toilet was no securely fastened to the floor. There was a small amount of mold in the shower but it had obviously been scrubbed. The breakfast was very limited. For the $50 we paid it was ok. I have had worse/I have had better for the same price.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room first. I suspect some are more worn than others.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher F, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Randy Clements,
Thank You for your review in regards to your stay at our Quality Inn in Salem, VA. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with your stay. I have looked into the stated issues and I'm glad to say that they were a easy fix. We strive here at Quality Inn of Salem/Roanoke Va to give all guests top notch customer service at the same time provide a clean and well prepared room at a Affordable price. Next time your traveling through please feel free to email me and I will be more than happy to personally make and reserve your reservation. Qualityva102@outlook.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

Old furniture dated bathroom. Thin towels. It was clean but old. Needs updating

• Stayed June 2012
Christopher F, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your Review, We are glad to say that we are in the process of making alot of changes and we would love for you to come back sometime to see for yourself.
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is by far the most disgusting choice hotel I have ever stayed in. First, there was a pill on the bathroom floor. The corners of the bathroom were full of dirt, the bathtub had large amounts of mildew in the corners, and the drain was very slow and left you standing in a puddle of water. The frames around both the internal door and the sliding door were loose, and appeared as if they had been kicked in and tacked back on. The air conditioner filters were completely occluded. The wallpaper, as well as plates for switches had very evident dirt.

This hotel should not be allowed to function as a Quality Inn, unless it serves as an example of how to NOT get return customers.

I have attached pictures of the filth and general disrepair of this hotel. I did go to the front desk, but the young adult managing it couldn't do anything other than promise he would tell his manager in the morning. While I was at the front desk another gentleman came to the desk and stated that his sliding door had fallen out of the frame (to the outside) and the maintenance man had not showed up. He requested a rope to hold it in as he didn't feel safe. He had already changed rooms since his first room was "stinky."

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Rosendale, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

From spiders to their eggs, to dirty tub and toilet, doors on the ground floor with faulty locks, sheets with cigarette ashes, this inn is quality not. Also this particular exit is prone to price gouging so expect to pay top dollar for this travesty of a motel. Fitness room is a broken treadmill and cycle, pool was closed. Surprisingly the internet did work. If you stay here because there is no other choice like I did, I feel your pain.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!