“Definition of a DIVE!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Pulteney
“Definition of a DIVE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Where do we begin...called and got the reservation while on the road late night so never got a chance to see a review or probably never would have booked it. Here goes: 1) Had a room on the 2nd floor, the stairwell was disusting- sticky stairs, peeling wallpaper w/ mold growing behind it, cigarette buts, can't even describe the smell. 2) Room was dirty, stains on the walls, dish of cig butts on the balcony, cobwebs, wet dirty wash cloth on the bathroom floor. 3) No coffee at the cont. breakfast, didn't dare touch the food. While guests were looking for coffee the only employee sat on a bench outside the lobby smoking a cig and talking on her cell. 4)On the walk to the lobby, door at the stairs was jammed open w/ a bar of soap! 5) Back entry ways that you enter from parking area were just nasty, stunk, dirty. 6) When I checked out, no one at the front desk- she was still sitting outside on the bench on her phone, I left my pass key at the front desk and told her I was checking out on the way by, I was impressed she interupted her phone conversation long enough to say thanks while knocking the ashes off her cigarette. 7) realized in the morning our door didn't lock unless you pulled it shut tight. I can't make this stuff up, my wife is still creaped out! If it hadn't been 1am when we checked in we would have left. The place either needs a complete renovation, or probably a cheaper alternative- a bulldozer.

Room Tip: If your going cheap, read the reviews first!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Warren, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The room was not very clean. There was a TON of dirt and garbage (including plastic bags) behind the dresser. The plug in the bathroom was melted. Every seam on the wallpaper was peeling. In the main hallways, the carpet had many bare spots. There were ceiling tiles missing. While one reviewer said they were remodeling, I saw no evidence of this. The bathtub fixtures were very corroded. I was in a non-smoking room. It was directly above the smoking rooms and smelled like smoke. The smoking hallway stunk so bad walking down it, I had an instant headache. I have never walked down a smoking hallway in another hotel and had it smell so bad. There were stains on the towels (almost every one that was in our bathroom). The continental breakfast wasn't too bad, but there was no fresh fruit, only canned, and they were out of most everything when we went. The staff was very pleasant and tried to be very accommodating. There were no plugs empty for us to use for laptops or cell phone charges without unplugging the lights or clock.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, do NOT let them assign you a room above the smoking rooms. It smelled very...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I stay here frequently. Yes, it is older but they're remodeling. Sliding door sticks. Get over it! But the beds were new & really comfortable. Micro-fridge is a new addition and appreciated! Our dogs travel with us and they accommodate us by giving us a room on the back at our request. Easy access to dog-walk area. No you can't take them through the lobby because there is food served here! Like you can't take your dog into a restaurant. If you want Hilton Gardens keep driving. Pay $150. But for a comfortable, quiet night and helpful staff stay here. Save your money for gas! Trust me --- I don't do dirty smelly hotels and left more than of them. We will return to this one!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are geat if you have dogs to walk or kids that need to run around
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Older hotel, in need of many repairs. I didn't feel very secure being able to walk out of the room straight to the parking lot with a sliding glass door that's only security is a metal bar. On the bright side, our room had a double bed and king, that's a different layout. Nice spacious breakfast room. Those were the only good things. Sorry, but I cannot recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Smiths Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night while driving on I-81. This hotel is in the coupon book found at rest centers. The lobby and eating area looked like it had been recently remodeled. Check in was fast. However our room was quite outdated and needed to be refreshed. The couch and rug looked quite worn, the bedding was adequate. The bed mattress was fine. I mentioned to the front desk that our room needed to be updated and asked about others that might be better. Nothing was readily offered so decided not to push this as we weren't going to be staying in the room that long. There was no heat on in the room and it took a long time to warm up. Breakfast was just okay. I have had much better at affiliated hotels. There appeared to be no staff person in charge of this. The coffee pot was empty but there was one just outside the breakfast room which had coffee. The pet charge of $15 seemed a bit high compared to other hotels in the Comfort Chain that usually charge $10. One other note, there appeared to be very few people staying here. We would definitely not return to this hotel when driving through on our way home. There are numerous better hotels off I-81 that are in the coupon book.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sunrise, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Drove all day across Highways 66 and 81, east to west, and were tired when we arrived. After checking out two other places that were severely overpriced, we ended up here as a sort of last resort (pun intended). Check in was easy and the room was warm and comfortable, with a sliding glass door to the outside, which made it easy to unload the SUV, without going through the lobby and using the luggage cart. I got the impression that there were renovations due in the near future but they weren't happening that night. Since the facility is located up a hill and in back of a gas station/motel complex, it was a little difficult to physically locate it, but we did. The overnight stay was fine and we used the laundry facilities the next day. Those were suitable but limited to only one washer and one dryer. Between the three of us each needing to wash a load of clothes, it took a while to get everything washed and dried. We missed the checkout time but okayed it with the front desk, which had no problem with us doing that. Housekeeping in the hallways and common areas could have been better. Perhaps they're working on that as you read this. Perhaps not. Breakfast was the usual menu of motel buffet food and we mostly passed on eating a lot. So, yeah, it was kind of dingy but we weren't arguing because we were so tired out. Beds and the room were good. Probably wouldn't go back, but probably wouldn't be out that way again any time soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This motel had character and excellent service. After reading some of the negative reviews, I couldn't disagree more. My wife and I were impressed with the staff's service attitude and their willingness to go the extra mile to fulfill reasonable requests.

The facility was obviously going through a transition with their remodeling so some consideration is due.

We are definitely going to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!