“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Warren, Michigan, United States
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The room was not very clean. There was a TON of dirt and garbage (including plastic bags) behind the dresser. The plug in the bathroom was melted. Every seam on the wallpaper was peeling. In the main hallways, the carpet had many bare spots. There were ceiling tiles missing. While one reviewer said they were remodeling, I saw no evidence of this. The bathtub fixtures were very corroded. I was in a non-smoking room. It was directly above the smoking rooms and smelled like smoke. The smoking hallway stunk so bad walking down it, I had an instant headache. I have never walked down a smoking hallway in another hotel and had it smell so bad. There were stains on the towels (almost every one that was in our bathroom). The continental breakfast wasn't too bad, but there was no fresh fruit, only canned, and they were out of most everything when we went. The staff was very pleasant and tried to be very accommodating. There were no plugs empty for us to use for laptops or cell phone charges without unplugging the lights or clock.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, do NOT let them assign you a room above the smoking rooms. It smelled very...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Gainesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I stay here frequently. Yes, it is older but they're remodeling. Sliding door sticks. Get over it! But the beds were new & really comfortable. Micro-fridge is a new addition and appreciated! Our dogs travel with us and they accommodate us by giving us a room on the back at our request. Easy access to dog-walk area. No you can't take them through the lobby because there is food served here! Like you can't take your dog into a restaurant. If you want Hilton Gardens keep driving. Pay $150. But for a comfortable, quiet night and helpful staff stay here. Save your money for gas! Trust me --- I don't do dirty smelly hotels and left more than of them. We will return to this one!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are geat if you have dogs to walk or kids that need to run around
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Older hotel, in need of many repairs. I didn't feel very secure being able to walk out of the room straight to the parking lot with a sliding glass door that's only security is a metal bar. On the bright side, our room had a double bed and king, that's a different layout. Nice spacious breakfast room. Those were the only good things. Sorry, but I cannot recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Smiths Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night while driving on I-81. This hotel is in the coupon book found at rest centers. The lobby and eating area looked like it had been recently remodeled. Check in was fast. However our room was quite outdated and needed to be refreshed. The couch and rug looked quite worn, the bedding was adequate. The bed mattress was fine. I mentioned to the front desk that our room needed to be updated and asked about others that might be better. Nothing was readily offered so decided not to push this as we weren't going to be staying in the room that long. There was no heat on in the room and it took a long time to warm up. Breakfast was just okay. I have had much better at affiliated hotels. There appeared to be no staff person in charge of this. The coffee pot was empty but there was one just outside the breakfast room which had coffee. The pet charge of $15 seemed a bit high compared to other hotels in the Comfort Chain that usually charge $10. One other note, there appeared to be very few people staying here. We would definitely not return to this hotel when driving through on our way home. There are numerous better hotels off I-81 that are in the coupon book.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sunrise, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Drove all day across Highways 66 and 81, east to west, and were tired when we arrived. After checking out two other places that were severely overpriced, we ended up here as a sort of last resort (pun intended). Check in was easy and the room was warm and comfortable, with a sliding glass door to the outside, which made it easy to unload the SUV, without going through the lobby and using the luggage cart. I got the impression that there were renovations due in the near future but they weren't happening that night. Since the facility is located up a hill and in back of a gas station/motel complex, it was a little difficult to physically locate it, but we did. The overnight stay was fine and we used the laundry facilities the next day. Those were suitable but limited to only one washer and one dryer. Between the three of us each needing to wash a load of clothes, it took a while to get everything washed and dried. We missed the checkout time but okayed it with the front desk, which had no problem with us doing that. Housekeeping in the hallways and common areas could have been better. Perhaps they're working on that as you read this. Perhaps not. Breakfast was the usual menu of motel buffet food and we mostly passed on eating a lot. So, yeah, it was kind of dingy but we weren't arguing because we were so tired out. Beds and the room were good. Probably wouldn't go back, but probably wouldn't be out that way again any time soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This motel had character and excellent service. After reading some of the negative reviews, I couldn't disagree more. My wife and I were impressed with the staff's service attitude and their willingness to go the extra mile to fulfill reasonable requests.

The facility was obviously going through a transition with their remodeling so some consideration is due.

We are definitely going to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Leola, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Let me start out by saying the lobby and the breakfast room are in great shape. The check-in staff were courteous and the breakfast room staff did a great job with adequate food and the counter was clean. Now to the room: As I was sitting on the pot I looked up in the left hand corner and saw what I thought was spider dirt and webs. On closer inspection I tried to clean it but had no scouring powder. The dark wine color drapes had so much dust on the top five inches.No problems with the rest of the room. I also noticed that the hallway rug looks like it was cleaned with a sweeper that needs to be cleaned. It is quite obvious that this particular sweeper needs some tender loving cleaning for it to perform.( I believe the staff and manager are completely unaware that equipment needs to be maintained) Yes I saw the sweeper out in the hall. And please once in awhile clean behind the furniture.

Room Tip: Our friends saw cobwebs in the corners of their room and between the beds there was white powder. It...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!